Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Newbie help with my Civic EX 2001 springs. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie help with my Civic EX 4Door 2001 springs. Please help!

I somehow acquired myself a nightmare of a car. I am not into lowered cars or anything, but I came to need a car and got this one for merely free. I been using it for a year or so now, it had some aftermarket stuff done to it: exhaust, lowered, etc.

me not being a car fanatic or anything, I had no idea that the lowering in the back was done extremly wrong. I later found out after my tires starting to wear away after 3 months, that I had made a big mistake. The tilt of the tires go inward because of the wheel well and the fit of the tires in it. (camber issues)

I am tired of my lowered crap car. I can never drive long distances in fear my tires will wear and then go flat on the road. I want to raise it. But now I need to find stock springs so I can. This isn't as easy as I thought it would be.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get my car back to stock height in the back, or near it? The front height is fine, and for some unknown reason whoever did the lowering in the back, did it lower then the front. I just want to fix this without having to get a new car, because it is driving me nuts!

I am almost willing to buy aftermarket springs to raise the car up, because looking for the stock springs is eluding me. I have called junk yards, I have called custom shops in my area, I did the ebay, none of them have anything.

I tried looking up springs on my own but I am getting other parts and I am not sure if I am buying the right thing.

Please help!!
Old 12-13-2004, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Newbie help with my Civic EX 4Door 2001 springs. Please help! (Sarvoth)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sarvoth &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The tilt of the tires go inward because of the wheel well and the fit of the tires in it. (camber issues)
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Camber itself doesn't ruin tires, TOE does. It sounds as though whoever did this forgot to get a 4 wheel alignment done after the install; as long as it's not slizamed 3", an alignment should take care of the problem.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sarvoth &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I am tired of my lowered crap car. I can never drive long distances in fear my tires will wear and then go flat on the road. I want to raise it. But now I need to find stock springs so I can. This isn't as easy as I thought it would be.

I am almost willing to buy aftermarket springs to raise the car up, because looking for the stock springs is eluding me. I have called junk yards, I have called custom shops in my area, I did the ebay, none of them have anything.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can get good quality springs without much drop (less than 2"): H&R OE sport,
Eibach Prokit and a few others. If you're still looking for stock, then wait 15 days to post in classifieds, there is usually a ton of stock springs in there. You can also check http://www.7thgencivic.com (I think that's the name) since you have a 2001.

I have my car lowered on ProKits for about a year now. 4 Wheel alignment, and no wear issues whatsoever, and this is with summer and race compound tires.

Old 12-13-2004, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Newbie help with my Civic EX 4Door 2001 springs. Please help! (Sarvoth)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sarvoth &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get my car back to stock height in the back, or near it? The front height is fine, and for some unknown reason whoever did the lowering in the back, did it lower then the front. I just want to fix this without having to get a new car, because it is driving me nuts!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh, and you don't want to go mixing different springs and rates, it can cause serious handling issues if you don't know how to properly tune a suspension.

Also, the rear of hondas will look lower than the front even with stock springs (just not as noticable with all that wheel gap) so having it lower in the back is probably normal.

Old 12-13-2004, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Newbie help with my Civic EX 4Door 2001 springs. Please help! (EX_AutoXer)

Thanks for the reply!

The thing with the camber is this - its lowered so much that the wheel sits in the wheel well deep. The idiot who did it ( I wanna smack him ) decided to do this. It made the wheels turn inward greatly. So much inward that the inside tread wears away after about 3 - 4 months of driving. It isn't possible to do a rear wheel alignment because that would mean the wheel would actually have to be through the wheel well, if it was tilted the right way anymore, rubber and wheel well would be one.

I like your suggestion on springs. Do you have any specific website you go to purchase them?
Old 12-13-2004, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

robearracing.com offers eibachs for 7thgens....