Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 04:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie

New to the imports I've always owned V8's and now i'm trying to get into imports and i know nothing about them so i'm gonna be asking stupid questions.
First anyone know where i can find a list of like first things to mod?
Obviously for me it's engine first then then body. So what first cold air intake, then exhaust or both at the same time things like that. I know that some mods are better to be done at the same time and some can be done on their own. Also where can i find a good list of specs on my car I have a 97' civic ex. Like how do i know what motor is in it. I've seen vtec engines without the fancy vtec logo supposedly but what do i know. So hook me up let me hear from ya. Cause i need all the help i can get.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:20 AM

Default Re: Newbie (BrockGrimes)

there should be a stamp on the front of the block to tell you what motor's in there. The 1st mods you sould make if you're not going to swap out your motor or turbo it are, cold air intake and header. If you going to save for turbo or swap, get a cheap cold air intake off ebay for now. You'll want to put some nice, solid springs on and a good catback exhaust also.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:22 AM

I think you have a d16y8 engine. It's a 1.6 SOHC vtec
Old 01-04-2004, 04:23 AM

Default Re: Newbie (zseeanz)

Hey know of a good book to read or check out, also haynes or chiltons manual?
Old 01-04-2004, 04:24 AM

Well you can start off by finding out what engine you got under the hood. Two ways to do that are a) look to left of the Exhaust manifold and see what code it has or b) open the owners manual.

Since you are new to the Honda world of Tuning begin your homework using the Search option and the Search Engine of your choice.

You might want to begin by finding out more about the popular B Series, D Series and H Series engines. Some key words to help you out will be : B16, B18, H22, D16 etc.

Welcome.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:25 AM

haynes and chiltons are ok for basic repair. If you want the best, get a helms manual. A little expensive but well worth the $$$. But honda-tech will probably be your BEST source for information.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:34 AM

TNX
i'll check out the engine as soon as the sun comes up or after i wake up which ever comes first. It looks like the stock engine and it has no manual and since swaps seem to be a big thing i figured i'd try to find out by the engine it self, i've been doing some read but it all tends to run together after a while. Not to mention conflicting info give on different sites. once i look on te engine and find the engine code where can i go to look it up, total-boost.com? Are they cool reputable and stuff? Also i was checking out a new muffler on the net anyone know about http://www.aero-turbine.com/index.html
Thanks for the quick replys this is great.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:36 AM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BrockGrimes &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">TNX
i'll check out the engine as soon as the sun comes up or after i wake up which ever comes first. It looks like the stock engine and it has no manual and since swaps seem to be a big thing i figured i'd try to find out by the engine it self, i've been doing some read but it all tends to run together after a while. Not to mention conflicting info give on different sites. once i look on te engine and find the engine code where can i go to look it up, total-boost.com? Are they cool reputable and stuff? Also i was checking out a new muffler on the net anyone know about http://www.aero-turbine.com/index.html
Thanks for the quick replys this is great. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I've read some bad things about total-boost
Old 01-04-2004, 04:57 AM

Default Re: Newbie (USDMDC2)

TNX i'll keep an eye on em.
Also if anyone reads this i was on Honda Tunings web site and was looking around and came across sites that they recommend as performance sites to buy parts from and one of them was airdynamicracing.com i was lookign at the site and the prices was really cheap so i was trying to find the mf. of the parts they sold and one was called Volution Racing which has their own site, i then went to the BBB and looked em up and they are the same people, not to mention 14 complaints against them, be wary of them. I guess not all links from a fairly good mag are good them self.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:00 AM

try inlinefour.com or mmrusa.com i like these

some people don't like inline four but if ur buying offline its great service and fast shipping
Old 01-04-2004, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Newbie (94blackhatch)

just my opinion here... if you're used to V8's then you like torque, which unfortunately honda's lack. you will get torque from turbo's on a D series block. but coming from where you came from, a B series would probably be more beneficial and more appealing.

FOR ALL YOU D OWNERS OUT THERE, THIS IS MY OPINION AND IS NOT TO BE USED AGAINST ME TO START A WAR IN THIS GUY'S THREAD... SO CHEEEEEEL.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Newbie (citrEK)

Welcome to HT and make sure to check out the two threads in my signature. Also, you have a D16y8 as mentioned about. It's a 127 hp SOHC VTEC motor.

Kbb.com has a full list of all the information about your car.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:44 AM

I have a D16Y8 turboed. And for the record, not to start a fight or anything, it's cheaper and has more whp and more torque than any b series swap out there. Plus it's cheaper. But it's all your choice. But if you want all motor, PLEASE swap it cause you're not gonna make dick for pwer with a N/A d series unless you throw in some serious loot. Good luck either way you go.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zseeanz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a D16Y8 turboed. And for the record, not to start a fight or anything, it's cheaper and has more whp and more torque than any b series swap out there. Plus it's cheaper. But it's all your choice. But if you want all motor, PLEASE swap it cause you're not gonna make dick for pwer with a N/A d series unless you throw in some serious loot. Good luck either way you go.</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is true a boosted D-Series is a very economical way to make power and definitally more than a B-Series swap, but you can't say a boosted D16 makes more power than a boosted B18C, or I myself would've stuck with my D16Y8. The twin cam is gonna have the potential whether he's N/A or FI. If he is used to those big V8's he's gonna need to do a lot to make this lil honda movin, we dump A LOT of money into our cars unfortunately. I think it'd just be a waste to go and maybe boost this D-Series and then be unsatifisfied THEN go to a swap and waste the money.. Let him know what he's in for ahead of time.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Newbie (USDMDC2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDMDC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I've read some bad things about total-boost </TD></TR></TABLE>

Can you please tell me where you read this?

Andre
andre@total-boost.com
Old 01-04-2004, 12:13 PM
i HAS questions ?

Default Re: Newbie (TotalBoost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TotalBoost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Can you please tell me where you read this?

Andre
andre@total-boost.com</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't worry, none of his posts ever make any sense. I almost bought an engine from you guys but decided to stay single cam. I still might be looking for an H-series longblock at some point though.

To the original question, do a lot of research. Haynes manual has a lot of good information in it if you actually read through and reall look for stuff.
Old 01-04-2004, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zseeanz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a D16Y8 turboed. And for the record, not to start a fight or anything, it's cheaper and has more whp and more torque than any b series swap out there. Plus it's cheaper. But it's all your choice. But if you want all motor, PLEASE swap it cause you're not gonna make dick for pwer with a N/A d series unless you throw in some serious loot. Good luck either way you go.</TD></TR></TABLE>

OK, maybe just the B swap alone doesn't put out as much torque or whp then your turbo'ed D, but damn near close. But after you turbo the D, what's next??? Swap the B, turbo that... more expensive, but more beneficial in the long run. It all depends on your budget.
Old 01-04-2004, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Newbie (citrEK)

ive got a lightly modified B18c and it will beat about 50% of the turbo D's that havce spent similar money.... But it still not that fast. Anyone accustomed to V8 power would be much happier with a boosted B series. I would recommend boosting a b20z, they are relatively cheap, and have a lot more torque than most other inexpensive honda engines.
Old 01-04-2004, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Newbie (toolowsol)

I'd say if you go boost, go with a B16A or B18C.. B20's have thin sleeves and are non-vtec and I've heard some horror stories about them, under boost with stock blocks. I'm guessing since you'r just getting into Honda's going and resleeving and forging the internals would be a bit much. You could easily put down 240-260 whp with a B16A and T3/T04E at 6-8 PSI, or even a boosted B18B (LS non-vtec DOHC Integra motor) can make impressive numbers when boosted.
Old 01-04-2004, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Newbie (IDriveAHonda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IDriveAHonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

this is true a boosted D-Series is a very economical way to make power and definitally more than a B-Series swap, but you can't say a boosted D16 makes more power than a boosted B18C, or I myself would've stuck with my D16Y8. The twin cam is gonna have the potential whether he's N/A or FI. If he is used to those big V8's he's gonna need to do a lot to make this lil honda movin, we dump A LOT of money into our cars unfortunately. I think it'd just be a waste to go and maybe boost this D-Series and then be unsatifisfied THEN go to a swap and waste the money.. Let him know what he's in for ahead of time. </TD></TR></TABLE>

we share perspective