Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Newbie!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie!

Hi, I am new to the Honda world and am currently in the market for a daily driver, I am almost positive that I will be getting a Milano Red 1995 Honda Civic CX hatchback. Now, I will probably keep it all stock in terms of performance for a little bit, because of lack of funds and I have some plans for my Trans Am hitting around 450 to 500 rear wheel horsepower by fall 2005. Anyways, I will probably do the basics first, wheels, lowering, tint, and maybe some audio and video stuff. I am not going to do anything besides that in terms of appearance, I want the car to look almost stock on the exterior and have a clean looking interior. Anyways, here is my question, what would I want to swap in? Right now I am in a bind between the Prelude H22A or the GSR B18C1. I obviously have a while before I am going to do the swap, but I would rather get some opinions. I am thinking H22A because it is cheaper, but figure I would get some insight. I am not sure whether I will go all motor or forced induction, but probably naturally aspirated because of reliability reasons. I also am going to be keeping the engine stock for a while because of money. I am leaning H22A because of money reasons, but anyone have some good why or why not thoughts? Thanks a lot.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:16 PM

well keep leaning to the H22 for money resons, IF YOU HAVE A *** LOAD OF MONEY. H22 swaps are expensive dude. go with the GSR much cheaper easier to do.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:25 PM
w

Default Re: (Deathwish)

also at the very top of the first page of the civic forum there is a big topic on swaps. Very informative.

I wish i could help you but due to money constraints i am a SOHC Soldier.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hondadude96)

I actually found H22A complete swap packages sub $2,000 range and the B16C1 is up in the $2,600 or more range.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (compuvision02)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by compuvision02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I actually found H22A complete swap packages sub $2,000 range and the B16C1 is up in the $2,600 or more range.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah but the mounts etc etc etc for the H22 swap are going to make a load more cash than the GSR swap. Do your research and you'll what the differences are.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cnyej1)

What are these mounts you speak of? Motor mounts I am guessing. How much more would they be than GSR, because it seems very odd they would be so much differently priced.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (compuvision02)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by compuvision02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What are these mounts you speak of? Motor mounts I am guessing. How much more would they be than GSR, because it seems very odd they would be so much differently priced.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes motor mounts.... H series you need totally different mounts where as in B series they bolt right into the 92-95 chassis. Here is a helpful link for you.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=878010
Old 04-26-2005, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Newbie! (compuvision02)

how can you be a newbie if you were a member since 1-17-2005 ??
Old 04-26-2005, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Newbie! (dohcVTECeg2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcVTECeg2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how can you be a newbie if you were a member since 1-17-2005 ??</TD></TR></TABLE>

Because he still probably doesnt know alot, and to be honest hes only been here what??? really 3 months..... hes still new just as you are still a newbie.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Newbie! (cnyej1)

The H22 is rather poopy due to its rod/stroke ratio. You'd be better off with the GSR.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Newbie! (Richard D. James)

Thanks for all the help guys, keep the comments rolling.

cnyej1, I will check out that link.

dohcVTECeg2, I joined when I was trying to sell my Trans Am to buy a Civic hatchback with the GSR, but that fell through. I barely posted anything about the technical side of the Honda world, mostly looking at buying cars and trying to sell mine. Now that I decided to keep the Trans Am and am getting a daily driver, I am not thinking about doing a swap and now need technical help. Plain and simple, I just never tried to learn about Hondas, because I had no reason to until now. I know the basics, like what the engines, but I am not sure the capabilities that they hold and the pros and cons.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Car is being purchased today.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Welcome to Honda, and welcome to Millano red, the red that fades to a PINK.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Newbie! (cnyej1)

Guess I'll have to paint it pearl white when that time comes than.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:41 PM
most hood white kid

if you are new to honda, just swap in a GSR. h22 plus mounts will be about 3k which is about what a gsr costs, oh and SOHC soldier here too!!
Old 04-27-2005, 12:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any money you save on the buying the H, you will spend putting it in. Its a more complicated swap, but IMO well worth it. There is no replacement for displacement, and coming from a v8, I'm sure you understand that as well as any of us. The H has better torque than the B too. The biggest drawback to it is the tranny. It's not horrible, but the B's tranny is better.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Newbie! (IHateJDM)

IHateJDM,
Yeah, I was told that the H22A will run faster than the B18C1 stock to stock. I have yet to see a H22A hatchback around my area, mostly all GS-R, LS, and Si-R swaps. I won't be running this or modifying it out the ***, just getting a swap so I can be fairly quick and still go to a lot of events I couldn't really attend with a slow junker. Thanks for the input.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, if you swap it in you'll be fairly quick. I'm running 13.8 in the 1/4 in a del sol @2450lbs (full interior). Its all stock internals with cheap intake, header, exhaust. Your cx should be faster due to the weight advantage.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:57 PM
duq

I been killng myself thinking of which either engine to get for my 93 cx so this is just another really helpfull thread for me.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LS turbo
Old 04-27-2005, 01:14 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Newbie! (slowdx9585)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowdx9585 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LS turbo </TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed.

An LS swap gets you a nice, driveable torque band and easy modification in the future for both NA and FI applications (LSVTEC/cams or straight turbocharging, etc.).

What's being done to the TransAM to get all the power? Patriot heads/cam? Blower and !mods? I'm interested .
Old 04-27-2005, 02:11 PM
most hood white kid

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IHateJDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Any money you save on the buying the H, you will spend putting it in. Its a more complicated swap, but IMO well worth it. There is no replacement for displacement, and coming from a v8, I'm sure you understand that as well as any of us. The H has better torque than the B too. The biggest drawback to it is the tranny. It's not horrible, but the B's tranny is better. </TD></TR></TABLE>

its called a turbocharger
Old 04-27-2005, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Newbie! (egcoupe94)

I thought about LS turbo, but I wouldn't be able to afford the turbo kit right away. I really am not sure I want a turbo Civic anyways, I need this for reliability not speed. I want the speed, but don't need it, but I still need it to be reliable.

I decided I will not be doing the work I planned to the Trans Am, because I will be driving it very rarely, so it is a better investment to modify the Civic. I wish I could modify the Trans Am how I want, but if I can't drive it how I want, why put the money in it right now? I am pretty much taking a break from the Trans Am and my Dad will be doing driving on it to the train station right near our house and back for work purposes for a while. After we get a new car in the fall or winter the Trans Am will be pretty much sitting in the garage except for some very nice weekends. Work on the Trans Am will probably happen around this time next year or summer or fall or 2006.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Deathwish)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by compuvision02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi, I am new to the Honda world and am currently in the market for a daily driver, I am almost positive that I will be getting a Milano Red 1995 Honda Civic CX hatchback. Now, I will probably keep it all stock in terms of performance for a little bit, because of lack of funds and I have some plans for my Trans Am hitting around 450 to 500 rear wheel horsepower by fall 2005. Anyways, I will probably do the basics first, wheels, lowering, tint, and maybe some audio and video stuff. I am not going to do anything besides that in terms of appearance, I want the car to look almost stock on the exterior and have a clean looking interior. Anyways, here is my question, what would I want to swap in? Right now I am in a bind between the Prelude H22A or the GSR B18C1. I obviously have a while before I am going to do the swap, but I would rather get some opinions. I am thinking H22A because it is cheaper, but figure I would get some insight. I am not sure whether I will go all motor or forced induction, but probably naturally aspirated because of reliability reasons. I also am going to be keeping the engine stock for a while because of money. I am leaning H22A because of money reasons, but anyone have some good why or why not thoughts? Thanks a lot.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you seriously buy a hatch? what happened to your loud *** purple pontiac???

Well good move unless you are joking me haha, but why the change i am very curious and seen you many times in the loud car
Old 04-27-2005, 02:40 PM

if you want this hatch as your daily driver and money is fairly tight, i would stay away from the h22 because its harder and takes more time to get it done right...also in the end the h22 will cost more than a gsr and if your big on reliability, i think the gsr swap is much more reliable than an h22 swap because it has been done more often and there is much more manufacturer experience...

here is that link to the thread that hondadude was talking about since im assuming you didnt take a look...

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=878010

Quick Reply: Newbie!