Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

NEW TO VTEC AND NEW TO ENGINE SWAP HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW TO VTEC AND NEW TO ENGINE SWAP HELP!!!!

I need any and all help I can get! i am putting a d16z6 from a del sol si into my del sol that also has a sohc motor but not a vtec. I dont know what the vtec solinoid and dizzy look like. I dont know if everything is there or not. if anyone can give me step by step and pics to help me that will be great. Both are 5 speeds. also, is there an advantage to doing a mini me swap with the d16 head on the d15 block? Like I said I am new to this and want to do this on my own to save money. I can do an engine swap just havent dealt with vtec before. thanks for your help.

-Tom
tom_mcmullen06@yahoo.com
Old 07-08-2008, 03:37 PM

Default Re: NEW TO VTEC AND NEW TO ENGINE SWAP HELP!!!! (civicminded93)

First off dizzy is short for distributor and it is located on the left end of the valvecover. The vtec solenoid is attached to the head, on d-series it's on the back left side I think. You will have to wire in vtec but it's really easy just a quick search and you'll find it. Either way if your swapping out motors you shouldn't have to take off the dizzy or the vtec solenoid to swap the motors. Also make sure you take the TPS sensor off the throttle body before you lift the motor out of the car, chances are you'll bump it and it'll break.

EDIT:
Now that I'm thinking about it: I'm not big on del sols but if they are both obd1 I THINK that you should just be able to unplug the harness, leave it on the motor. Then swap it into the car with the wiring harness still on the motor. Then just swap the computer too. If that's the case then you shouldn't have to do any wiring at all. Someone else should chime in and confirm/deny this. Just unplug/swap/plug in.

Modified by civicjoe at 5:05 PM 7/8/2008

Modified by civicjoe at 5:06 PM 7/8/2008
Old 07-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to run wires for VTEC, but that's simple. Pick up some 14 to 16 gauge wire, in two different colors. You can use a single color, but I thing using 2 different ones makes it easier.

First, remove your battery, battery tray and possibly intake. Under the battery, there's a black boot thing running into the firewall. Stick your finger in there, and pull it out. CAREFULLY slit the tape around this boot and run 2 wires through it. Go under your passenger side dash, pull the carpet back from around your kick panel, jam your hand up and reach around for the wires. You now need two connectors from a junkyard ECU plug. PM me, and I'll mail you a couple if you need them and can't get them. You need to find the pinout for a P28 (or whatever ECU you will be using), and make the necessary connections.
Now, to the engine compartment. You can run your VTEC wiring into the stock harness if you like, or leave it out, it depends how much time you want to spend. I tied mine in up to the canon plug on the shock tower, and then just wrapped it with corrugated sleeving stuff. Now, you need to either hardwire one wire to the solenoid and one to the pressure plug. If you can get them from a junkyard, get the plugs. Next, you need to run one ground wire for the pressure switch. If you have the connectors, the ground is black.
Here: http://hondaswap.com/reference...28667/

Obviously, you need a P28 (or whatever appropriate ECU for the motor). You can mod auto P28s to work on manuals and modify P05, P06 and non-VTEC ecus to become P28s. You need a soldering iron and at least solder wick though.
PM me if you need anything or have questions.
Or, feel free to email me. timbabeu2005 (at) yahoo.com
Old 07-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NEW TO VTEC AND NEW TO ENGINE SWAP HELP!!!! (civicminded93)

thanks for your help everyone so far. the cars are the same car except one is vtec and the other is not. This is my first engine swap in a honda so im doing a small one ( sohc vtec). both are red honda del sols. both are 5 spds, one is a 94 and the other is a 95. So most, if not all should be compatible with little to no problems. right??? im doing it slowly, one piece at a time so i dont mess up. and It would be nice to get those from you. thanks.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

advantages of mini-me, will increase CP ratio