Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A new untried method to flush water through the block of d15 civic engine prior to changing the radi

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A new untried method to flush water through the block of d15 civic engine prior to changing the radi

I have an idea I would like some feedback on. I have just removed my old clogged radiator and am about to install a new one. I want to flush out the block with a garden hose with the engine turned off starting at the upper radiator hose housing, then through the back of the engine toward the water pump and then through the block to the drain in the side of the block. I think this will work as long as I don't remove the thermostat from its housing and the heater hoses are pinched off. There is a small hose that exits from the rear side of the cylinder head into the thermostat housing that directs coolant through the thermostat housing into the connecting pipe to be drawn to the water pump cooling off the cylinder head. There should be nowhere for the water from the garden hose to easily travel except through the connecting pipe in the back of the engine that connects the thermostat housing to the water pump housing. The water would go from the thermostat housing toward the water pump just like it does when the engine is running. Does anyone think this won't work? I am trying to push out loose sediment, if any, in the block before installing the new radiator.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A new untried method to flush water through the block of d15 civic engine prior to changing the

kind of think you are trying to invent the wheel all over again..

Old 03-24-2007, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: A new untried method to flush water through the block of d15 civic engine prior to changing the

Not really reinventing it.... Anyway, it seems to work fine. Water poured into the upper radiator hose comes out the block drain pretty fast and all the water is accounted for. One gallon in, one gallon out. Not too hard to do. The only hard work is pinching off the heater hoses so that the water doesn't have to travel through the heater core and back. I suppose step this isn't really necessary but I wanted to be sure I had enough pressure to flush the block.