Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

new tires hurt mileage this badly?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new tires hurt mileage this badly?

i recently purchased 4 falken ziex ze-502 tires and instantly seemed to notice going from 35mpg to 30mpg. WHY! their inflated to their max load and everything. this is annoying i even changed my oil and air filter out of schedule to try and see if thatw as the problem?

maybe i am just driving harder knowing my tires aren't going to blow up if i hit a bump?
Old 09-27-2005, 04:12 PM

Default Re: new tires hurt mileage this badly? (dogbiscuit)

did you get an alignment?
Old 09-27-2005, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new tires hurt mileage this badly? (wwang924)

hmm no i didn't....
Old 09-27-2005, 04:19 PM

alignment affects mileage, so i know its about 60 bux around here, and did you change size in diameter at all?
Old 09-27-2005, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new tires hurt mileage this badly? (wwang924)

word, align it...

and if you went down in tire height that could hurt ya too.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: new tires hurt mileage this badly? (fookle)

get them balanced too
Old 09-27-2005, 06:58 PM

whats the max preasure on those tires. Improperly inflated tires can cause less mileage. Also is the tire bigger than the ones that were on the car previously?
Old 09-28-2005, 04:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93Civac)

yeah thie tires went from 85H to 86H is that the difference your looking for? they were balanced upon purchase
Old 09-28-2005, 04:55 PM

Default Re: (dogbiscuit)

no that sounds like tire load numbers. Did you increase or decrease your tire size like. 60's or 50's ?
Old 09-28-2005, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I went from some almost bald, crappy, 185/65-14 tires (stock size) on my 96 EX to 205/50-15 Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's and also noticed a mileage deacrease. I did have an alignment done but I assume it is from the more sticky tire having more rolling resistance than the stock one. To help out I pushed the PSI up a little in them (not too much to cause uneven tire wear tho) and I dont drive like a bat outa hell all the time, only a little fun in the corners where the sticky tires really help.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:56 PM

Default Re: new tires hurt mileage this badly? (Slow EJ8)

Each time a larger tire makes one complete revolution you are covering more ground than a smaller tire, like the ones you replaced. Thus your speedometer will read slightly slower than you are actually going. Since your odometer runs off the speedometers reading you will actually have traveled farther than the odometer says you did.

Did that make any sense?
Old 09-28-2005, 05:57 PM

Default Re: new tires hurt mileage this badly? (xavenged7x)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xavenged7x &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Each time a larger tire makes one complete revolution you are covering more ground than a smaller tire, like the ones you replaced. Thus your speedometer will read slightly slower than you are actually going. Since your odometer runs off the speedometers reading you will actually have traveled farther than the odometer says you did.

Did that make any sense? </TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what i was trying to get at with the tire size question
Old 09-28-2005, 06:17 PM

Wider tires get worse mileage, but better launch
Smaller tires get better mileage but harder launch
Old 09-28-2005, 06:24 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slow EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I went from some almost bald, crappy, 185/65-14 tires (stock size) on my 96 EX to 205/50-15 Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's and also noticed a mileage deacrease. I did have an alignment done but I assume it is from the more sticky tire having more rolling resistance than the stock one. To help out I pushed the PSI up a little in them (not too much to cause uneven tire wear tho) and I dont drive like a bat outa hell all the time, only a little fun in the corners where the sticky tires really help. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Kumho Ecsta Supra = The Stick.

I love mine, they stick like no other. Too bad they're on 18" rims and the insides are balding.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new tires hurt mileage this badly? (nota-eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nota-eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Kumho Ecsta Supra = The Stick.

I love mine, they stick like no other. Too bad they're on 18" rims and the insides are balding.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, yea i love them as well. They made my car sooo much more fun to drive (ie- fly around corners in). I seriously am convinced that they (or any low priced sticky tire) is the best bang for the buck mod you can do to a car. IMO it is also hands down the best suspention/handling mod you can do as well. Its amazing how much it changed the car. Ok enough of my rambling on and on...

Now a question for u, how many mile did they/are they lasting you? You said they are balding on the inside but is that from improper alignment or other factors? I am just trying to gauge how long they will last me.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:55 PM

I've had them for about a year. I bought them from a friend that had them for about 6 months. So about 18 months total.

The rear tires are still mint, its the front insides that are balding. I think the reason they're balding is from alignment/rubbing.

18" rim+2" drop=hella rubbing

They still stick well, unless I dump it turning from a stop sign.

How much did you pay for yours? I think mine were about $100 a piece (stupid 18" low-pro)
Old 09-28-2005, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nota-eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've had them for about a year. I bought them from a friend that had them for about 6 months. So about 18 months total.

The rear tires are still mint, its the front insides that are balding. I think the reason they're balding is from alignment/rubbing.

18" rim+2" drop=hella rubbing

They still stick well, unless I dump it turning from a stop sign.

How much did you pay for yours? I think mine were about $100 a piece (stupid 18" low-pro)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea mine still understeers alot (no rear sway ) but still are great.

Mine were 63$ a peice i think from discounttiredirect.com. Free shipping special too when I got them. They are only on 15's tho in 205/50-15 so that has alot to do with the price.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:15 PM
Trial User

all of you guys running too much tire pressure: why are you running too much tire pressure? if the middle of your tire is wearing faster than anything else, you need to let some pressure out. it doesnt matter if you are running 35 series or 60 series tires you need to run proper inflation...

ek's need 30psi in the fronts and 29psi in the rears.

if you think your tires need more pressure, wipe a 4"-5" spot clean from sidewall to sidewall on your tires and drive about 30 feet and then back up. if your tires only get dusty in the middle you need to let some pressure out. if its covering all the tread, youre sitting just about right. if you get dirt/dust on the sidewall, fill em up a little bit...

tires are one of the most essential things in fuel mileage...

if that doesnt work, get an alignment.

Old 09-28-2005, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new tires hurt mileage this badly? (ROK801)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ROK801 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">all of you guys running too much tire pressure: why are you running too much tire pressure? if the middle of your tire is wearing faster than anything else, you need to let some pressure out. it doesnt matter if you are running 35 series or 60 series tires you need to run proper inflation... </TD></TR></TABLE>

I do not think I am running too much tire pressure, just slightly more than the recomended for my car (I have another question on that later for you). I am running 32psi all around and do not notice any adverse tire wear or anything else otherwise harmfull. I also noticed when my pressures dipped to 28psi I lost quite a few MPG. A more inflated tire will have less rolling resistance correct? Therefore if I can increase the PSI a little to decrease a little rolling resistance but yet keep the desired amount of tire on the ground then is there something I am doing wrong? Im not arguing just wanting to understand what you are saying and understand if what I am doing is acomplishing what I want it to.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ROK801 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ek's need 30psi in the fronts and 29psi in the rears.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Here is the question for you I mentioned above. Even with not stock spec tires (ie- different width, aspect ratio, etc) are those still the "correct" PSI's to put in the tires. I know the individual tires have a max load on them but no recomended load. Would the recomended load for these tires just follow the recomnded for the car?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ROK801 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you think your tires need more pressure, wipe a 4"-5" spot clean from sidewall to sidewall on your tires and drive about 30 feet and then back up. if your tires only get dusty in the middle you need to let some pressure out. if its covering all the tread, youre sitting just about right. if you get dirt/dust on the sidewall, fill em up a little bit... </TD></TR></TABLE>

good test to do, I will do this when I get some free time.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:45 PM
Trial User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slow EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I do not think I am running too much tire pressure, just slightly more than the recomended for my car (I have another question on that later for you). I am running 32psi all around and do not notice any adverse tire wear or anything else otherwise harmfull. I also noticed when my pressures dipped to 28psi I lost quite a few MPG. A more inflated tire will have less rolling resistance correct? Therefore if I can increase the PSI a little to decrease a little rolling resistance but yet keep the desired amount of tire on the ground then is there something I am doing wrong? Im not arguing just wanting to understand what you are saying and understand if what I am doing is acomplishing what I want it to. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i dont imagine running 32 is going to hurt you... at the shop i used to work at, we ran 32 in everything... (too lazy to check spec on everything haha) its when you get to 35+ that it will start to effect you, but proper inflation is what you wanna run.

running more pressure will increase gas mileage but it tears suspension up along with tires... but with gas prices right now it might be easier on you to do that.. hahaha.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slow EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Here is the question for you I mentioned above. Even with not stock spec tires (ie- different width, aspect ratio, etc) are those still the "correct" PSI's to put in the tires. I know the individual tires have a max load on them but no recomended load. Would the recomended load for these tires just follow the recomnded for the car?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i had this same question when this was officially brought to my attention. running proper inflation in your tires no matter the size is the ideal thing to do... lower profile or higher... you need to keep as much surface of the tire as possible without going onto the sidewall... thats why camber kits were made and blah blah... even dudes with huge trucks running 35x16.50 tires need to run inflation that the vehicle calls for...

hope this helped.

Old 09-29-2005, 03:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new tires hurt mileage this badly? (ROK801)

Thanks alot, good info. Yea I couldnt image in 32PSI causing any noticable uneven tire wear but after you said something I wanted to make sure. I will still be sure to do that test just to see where I am. Even the little increase from stock specs (30F/29R) to my 32PSI all around has put my mileage back close to where I was when I was still running stock spec tires w/ the 30PSI front and 29 PSI back.

Not sure if I wanna push it more though. Im prob at a good comprimise right now, improved MPG without serious bad effects on tires/susp. Might try 33PSI and then 34PSI, just to see but like you said when you approach that 35PSI it seems as though bad side effect would come into play.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:12 AM

****, if I ran 30psi in my tires I'd be running on the rims. Stock size 29-30 may be okay, but running a low profile tire they're supposed to be inflated to 44 or 45 psi.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nota-eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">****, if I ran 30psi in my tires I'd be running on the rims. Stock size 29-30 may be okay, but running a low profile tire they're supposed to be inflated to 44 or 45 psi.</TD></TR></TABLE>

dont know about that, i have 33 in my on a daily basis with 205/40 and NEVER touched rim. plus being a tire guy and doing 95% of the rims that come into our shop i dont think ive ever put more than 35 in a set of low pros.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:49 AM

Default Re: new tires hurt mileage this badly? (isumase)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by isumase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont know about that, i have 33 in my on a daily basis with 205/40 and NEVER touched rim. plus being a tire guy and doing 95% of the rims that come into our shop i dont think ive ever put more than 35 in a set of low pros.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I just go by what's on the sidewall.

My wearing is on the inside, mostly from rubbing and I'm sure camber. Middle and outside are both fine. Would dropping the tire pressure a little cause them to wear more evenly?
Old 09-29-2005, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nota-eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just go by what's on the sidewall.</TD></TR></TABLE>

when are people gonna learn that that is the MAXIMUM tire pressure, theres a reason they put MAX TIRE PRESSURE on there. thats def not what the automobile manufacture thinks yuo need to have in there, rims or not. im done cause i dont feel like fighting over this issue again with people.

Quick Reply: new tires hurt mileage this badly?