Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New throttle body ecu problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 02:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New throttle body ecu problem

Hey guys so 2 weeks ago I picked up a new 66 mm skunk 2 throttle body so I put it all on and set my ohms on the tps to 430 ( lowest was 390 highest was 490) so it was all on and installed. When i turned the car on and no engine lights. To this day I have no strat up engine lights. But when I'm driving around its ok untill I give it full throttle then an engine light comes on, and it stays on untill I turn the key on and off quick. I can slowly drive up to red line and the light won't come on but no matter what gear I'm in after about 3-4 seconds of full throttle my engine light comes on. I ran the codes and it was number 3 and 7.... My map sensor and my tps sensor. I have tryed taking them both apart and still the same. I took it to my locale shop (teknotik in Toronto) and they said that I need my basemap reloaded. So what should I do or has anyone ever herd of this ? Any help would be great I want my shift light back!

Info on the car:

99 b20b (9.6.1 compression)
Port and polished with matched sk2 intake mani
The 66mm throttle body
Hytech 4-2-1 new highflow cat and apexi ws2 cat back
Welbro fuel pump
Obd2-obd1 convertion
Basemap b20z and chipped p28 ecu

Need help thanks !!
Old 06-04-2013, 02:26 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: New throttle body ecu problem

You have a bunch of random bolt-ons with a basemap, and expect your car to run correctly? It also doesn't sound like you set your TPS correctly. Pick up a FSM and follow the specs. If it's throwing MAP and TPS CEL's, then reason would say something is wrong with those two sensors.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:00 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

New mods and old basemap with incorrectly calibrated TPS? Is this a trick question?
Old 06-04-2013, 03:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I would need a new tps sensor right ? I know a normal one reads 500-900 correct ? They both worked fine on the oem one ..... And the basemap was done with all the bolts ons there just not the welbro or the throttle body so I should re do mine? Teknotic said a throttle body wouldnt make the car do what it's doing ..... I wanted to make sure it actually was the tps b4 I spent 60$ on a new one

Edit: sorry what's FSM?
Old 06-04-2013, 03:19 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Factory Service Manual. Get one.

Take your voltmeter off Ohms. You don't use Ohms to calibrate the TPS, you use volts. If you had the FSM (which you should), you would know this already.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/adjusting-tps-1498837/
Old 06-04-2013, 03:40 AM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by ReillyEK
And the basemap was done with all the bolts ons there just not the welbro or the throttle body
Then you are running an old, and WRONG, basemap for your setup. People, these aren't old Chevys.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So lets make it simple ppl ...... What should I do set the volts on the tps to spec and if tht doesn't work get a new basemap/chip ? Just want some honest help and Answers
Old 06-04-2013, 04:56 AM
The Grumpiest

Hey! This looks like one of those "Frequently Asked Questions" I keep hearing about. And I think there is a post stuck to the top of the forum that has links to help answer those kinds of questions. Amazingly enough it's called "Frequently Asked (Tech) Questions" or FAQs for short.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/faqs-frequently-asked-tech-questions-1998336/

Last edited by grumblemarc; 06-04-2013 at 05:14 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks I never even looked there a lot of useful info but it didn't really answer my question I don't even know what I should be looking for
Old 06-04-2013, 05:30 AM
The Grumpiest

Actually you are absolutely correct. Why this isn't there I don't know.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/official-honda-tps-wiring-calibration-thread-2830131/
But I found this using Google. And it only took me 10 seconds.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks I never even looked there a lot of useful info but it didn't really answer my question I don't even know what I should be looking for
Thanks I never even looked there
I never even looked
Old 06-04-2013, 05:52 AM
The Grumpiest

So he didn't look?
Old 06-04-2013, 06:05 AM
The Grumpiest

Here's another link.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-misc-15/diy-how-calibrating-voltage-your-tps-sensor-2947986/
Here's the Google search I did.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2947986
Old 06-04-2013, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow u must be one of the coolest ppl on this site ...... Anyways I've read all about and adjusted my tps b4 but couldn't get the reading I wanted to the ohms were a lot lower then they should be but I'm goin to try with volts when I get home 0.45 closed and 5 volts full throttle could just be the sensor is fucked my main concern is that I should get a new basemap on my car to run better my tuner said new throttle body and fuel pump won't need a new basemap or anything
Old 06-04-2013, 07:05 AM
The Grumpiest

Check the TPS voltage for “Dead Spots”. Throughout the range of movement the voltage should increase smoothly and steadily without any sudden voltage gaps, drops, or spikes .

How about you fix one problem at a time instead of trying to be psychic? But hey, listen to YOUR tuner. Don't know what you need to ask US anything for. He knows his stuff.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why is everyone so hostil on here lol no body can talk nice haha but ok I was planing on doing that tonight when I get home how will I know if my sensor is **** besides it not going up in volts smoothly ? If I can't get 5 volts out of it at full throttle probably ?
Old 06-04-2013, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why is everyone so hostil on here lol no body can talk nice haha but ok I was planing on doing that tonight when I get home how will I know if my sensor is **** besides it not going up in volts smoothly ? If I can't get 5 volts out of it at full throttle probably ?
Because you just join a forum, don't read any of the rules or stickies or faqs, or search
And then make a post that is worded like a Google search.
And then when someone tells you something you tell them what your tuner said and don't take advice.
That's not really a good way to win friends on a forum. If you do a little research and make a good post that can be helped instead of treating a forum like a personal search engine, you'll get a lot more help.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I did try and do some research and couldn't find anything soild I posted here after 2 weeks of Triel and error and I word it like that to not beat around the bush is it not easier to answer when I'm straight forward and don't blab on about randomness I know every forum in the world is filled with trolls but it would be nice to just get a easy answer sorry to who I've offended lol anyways I'm Gona re try my tps when I can then deal with my tune after
Old 06-04-2013, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Point is, Two very knowledgeable senior members both told you to adjust your TPS and run a new Basemap.
If you don't want to do that and just do what your tuner tells you, that's totally fine, but then you won't really need our help.
To be honest, I would just do the TPS and Basemap regardless, its a lot cheaper than getting a new throttle body and fuel pump.
And what if the throttle and pump don't fix it? now you're out the money and still have to get a new basemap anyway.
Always fix the cheapest stuff first. I don't know if your "tuner" is a friend, or a mechanic, but if he's the latter he is of course going to tell you to buy more parts dude.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've alrdy put in the fuel pump and throttle body on pump had no problems it's just when I put on the sk2 throttle body on I ran into these problems. And I really appreciate the help I've got but to make it clear I was never agreeing with my tuner and anyone from southern Ontario knows teknotik (the tuner) that's why I came here because I knew something wasnt right and I wanted other Honda guys opinions
Old 06-04-2013, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So you only have these issues with the SK2 throttle body?
That being the case you could just have a bunk part or, and this is something I am only assuming, your TPS doesn't like that SK2 and you might need a different one.
Someone more knowledgeable on that would have to confirm.

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
New mods and old basemap with incorrectly calibrated TPS?
That's still a valid answer too, if that TPS isn't calibrated for a non OEM throttle body you're most certainly going to get issues.
since you've already replaced this stuff like your tuner said, why not give him a ring about the TPS
Old 06-04-2013, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya ill for sure set the tps with volts this time but I'm also gettig a map code but ill deal with the tps first then go on from there that makes the most sence why getting the engine light at full throttle
Old 06-04-2013, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

TPS is a really nagging problem. I just had to replace my entire throttle body on my Lexus GS300, only to see that it was still and issue, and turns out it was the actuator lever that had a little broken piece of plastic on the spring.
Doesn't sound like your issue but from that I learned that getting the voltage reading can tell you whether its mechanical or electronic.

You're getting TPS and MAP error codes?
And both of these are with that SK2 throttle?
Old 06-04-2013, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm goin to try with volts when I get home 0.45 closed and 5 volts full throttle
Read again the service manual instructions and memorize the voltage settings.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Joshka89
TPS is a really nagging problem. I just had to replace my entire throttle body on my Lexus GS300, only to see that it was still and issue, and turns out it was the actuator lever that had a little broken piece of plastic on the spring.
Doesn't sound like your issue but from that I learned that getting the voltage reading can tell you whether its mechanical or electronic.

You're getting TPS and MAP error codes?
And both of these are with that SK2 throttle?
Ya but the engine light only comes on after full throttle for about 3 Seconds then it stays on but on start up and driving normal it's not on until I full throttle

Quick Reply: New throttle body ecu problem