Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New Si Tranny and 8lb flywheel, installed.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Si Tranny and 8lb flywheel, installed. Updated.

So I finally got to install my 8lb flywheel and Si transmission (D-series). Still 8 valve with my Y8 head waiting to go in next. Car feels more spritely but it's still a B8. I would do a big write-up but I was too busy working to take photos etc, besides, I like my camera and the amount of oily-dirt **** that came out of the engine bay is amazing, took three mop jobs and finaly spraying the whole area under the lift with brake cleaner. I will have more impressions later on but once around the shop says stay tuned.

Modified by lonefuzzy79 at 8:48 PM 4/30/2006
Old 04-30-2006, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Si Tranny and 8lb flywheel, installed. (lonefuzzy79)

So after driving a bit I have to say that the new transmission and flywheel combo rock. Keep in mind this is an 8v CX 70BHP. I was hoping for more oomph in the top end but sadly it still falls flat on it's face. I am wondering if the addition of a larger intake manifold/throttle body would help that (looking at the polished $150 OBX ebay special). First off, I thought that launching and overall driving feel with the lighter flywheel would be more cantankerous. However, it feels stock, engages smoothly and is transparent. The car revs much more freely and actually accelerates toward redline instead of taking it's time, however, that is probably more of a function of first gear as it is so much shorter now. However, the car feels more willing to just live on the top end and rev.
the old clutch and flywheel weighed in at 26lbs according to the bathroom scale 16lb flywheel 10.5lb clutch assembly. The new assembly is at 19lbs. Clutch assembly is unchanged, 8.5 lb flywheel. However I used a stock replacement clutch from a company called Luk, the profile of the clutch is not as broad, the mass of the spring disc seems more compact, this might also help as well, but probably not as the contact surface still has to engage the whole face of the friction disc.

Problems:
None really to report. I did find that the crown bolt/nut that connects the hub to the lower A-arm was broken off and therefore there is no cotter pin holding the nut in place, I am kinda worried about that. Also, somehow my speedometer is not working even though I reconnected everything and I am now getting a CEL. I have to scan that.

Otherwise this is a great mod for any single slammer who is just looking for more pep. Mind you, my car is still a D15B8 I/H/E so its not fast, just a bit more responsive now. The tranny was $150, $120 for the flywheel off ebay and $100 for the clutch kit plus $20 for fluids. Having a lift and a tranny jack and air-tools made this very easy.

Input/thoughts. Thanks for reading.

Cliffs: Installed Si tranny in my D with 8lb flywheel, It gets out of it's own way now.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New Si Tranny and 8lb flywheel, installed. (lonefuzzy79)

I almost did this to my cx motor, but went with a swap instead. glad to hear it worked for you.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:15 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: New Si Tranny and 8lb flywheel, installed. (broketuner-egb16a)

Um...great?
Old 04-30-2006, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have to report that accelleration in all gears is greatly improved. After driving around a bit more I can say that there is tons more torque on hand in all gears. I would have liked to have done this with both the regular and lightened flywheel but whatever, made the car much angrier. This should be the first mod for anyone building a D. Bauley, suck MY D. This is Honda-TECH, not I am a lame-***-moderator who has nothing constructive about ANYTHING to say.

Hopefully this will prove useful to someone who is on the fence. Best $350 I have spent so far.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:03 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: (lonefuzzy79)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lonefuzzy79 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bauley, suck MY D. This is Honda-TECH, not I am a lame-***-moderator who has nothing constructive about ANYTHING to say.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks, you made my night Don't be all butthurt that no one gives a **** that you can do a clutch and flywheel. I hope you post next time you change your oil too.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:08 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Re: (BauleyCivic)

Old 04-30-2006, 04:16 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lonefuzzy79 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Bauley, suck MY D. This is Honda-TECH, not I am a lame-***-moderator who has nothing constructive about ANYTHING to say.</TD></TR></TABLE>

its also not called make useless threads in a tech forum with no question to be answered.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:21 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lonefuzzy79 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Best $350 I have spent so far. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You've obviously never had a super hot and horny girlfriend on Valentine's Day.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You've obviously never had a super hot and horny girlfriend on Valentine's Day.</TD></TR></TABLE>

why do you have to wait til valentine's day? you can have that much fun everyday of the week and save 350 =P
Old 04-30-2006, 07:10 PM

eh, i think for 350 bucks i would find some better motor than the stock cx motor... and i'm suprised that with a 8 lb flywheel on the stock motor that your idle isn't all funky
Old 04-30-2006, 07:15 PM
Go Tigers!

Default Re: (daliumong)

he said he was getting ready to do a minime head swap.

d15b8 shortblock is the same as a d15b7 shortblock

you do realize that if he got a used 16valve head and a d16y8 head gasket that this would give him a guaranteed 35 hp for less than $100

vtec head on a cx motor = at least 55hp upgrade.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:09 PM

Default Re: (Bense)

okay so lets say he does do this hybrid

hes at 135bhp

good job?

i would say keep the tranny, put in a b7/z6 if your looking for hybrid.

easy motors to come by, i picked up a z6 head for like 25 bucks.

im sure he could get a z6 longblock for around 400$ and mind you the header and exhaust would still swap over and hes probly got a short ram intake so that would too.

it just doesnt make alot of sense to drop that much money and time into something that isnt that fulfilling ummm.. specification-wise.

but to each their own i guess.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've done the the entire Z6 swap before and it was ok, I am just experiementing. Keep in mind $350 was for the clutch, transmission, and flywheel. Sorry don't have any real tech... actually, this is tech, posting about the real world difference of this setup Vs. Stock.

More torque everywhere. I am almost considering not doing the mini-me and keeping a motor that can run on regular seeing that $20 will no longer fill my tank. I will say that with the flywheel the engine spins up so fast that in neutral, the tach can't keep up.
And why would idle be different? I can say there is more NVH since there is less mass on the crank. I think the stock flywheel dampens a lot of vibration.

Keep in mind I really don't care how much horsepower I end up with. I have driven 400+whp cars and I can honestly say it's best that I not have that much power. As the saying goes absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:50 PM

i mean i guess i can see where your coming from

i mean its kind alike why people fix up those 8valve beetles ya know?

they dont make large amounts of hp but for what the motor is it does pretty well.

to each thier own like i said.

i wouldnt mind a more "response" when i rev and what not.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if people question why someone did something everytime is was done none of the great things would every been created. who knew putting a turbine in the exhaust system would create power??? the guy that finally did it. lets just say, great job lonefuzzy.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (schardbody)

I also wanted to add a great job lonefuzzy. I completed a swap in my car last night. lol it wasnt a b,h, or k swap but it was a z6 swap into my dx 4 door. its not a lot faster but its peppier and I feel proud that I did it in such a short time. I actually think your post was pretty helpful for someone searching on a before and after for a lightweight flywheel and shorter geared tranny install. thanks.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the reply guys, beers on me next time.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:06 PM

i put an act prolite on my car a couple years ago. before and after that i put a bunch of other stuff on it, and that flywheel is the only thing i don't regret.

i'm looking into a newer s2000, if i do get one, the only mod i'm planning on is the lightest flywheel for it and _maybe_ some stiffer motor mounts. other than that, everything honda does from the factory is just fine.

a light flywheel really brings a manual trans car to life, i'll put one on every car i ever own for sure.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:42 PM
Go Tigers!

Default Re: (eg4usdm)

IMHO you should just get a 16valve head.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

tons more torque huh?
Old 05-02-2006, 01:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Si Tranny and 8lb flywheel, installed. Updated. (lonefuzzy79)

jk. no honda has torque
Old 05-02-2006, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a Y8 head just sitting there. I have to get up the want to do it now. I need an ECU first, I have a P05 that I will have phearable.com chip. Unless you all have a better tuner you would go to.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:23 PM

Default Re: (The Internet Tough Guy)

yeah but i thought if you went with with a flywheel that was too light youll loose hp/tq or something.

i have never made any attempts to improve on anything with my tranny or anything, i guess cuase im a little intimidated but in the future i would like to.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lighter flywheel reduces tq, but the loss isnt considerable enough to feel especially since it gets into the powerband quicker.

Quick Reply: New Si Tranny and 8lb flywheel, installed.