Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New Si

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2002, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Si

Well I went to our local auto show today and got a glimpse of the new Si in person. I thought they were hideous looking at them on the net and in magazines, but when I saw it in person I kinda liked it. The interior is very nice looks just like my ITR interior. What was weird was the engine bay reminded me of a minivan lol. I dont know about the shifter's position being basically on the dash, that would take some getting used to. All in all I think its an ok car, not a type R, but at least we got something. I dont think I'd pay 18k for it, I'll just wait for someone to wreck one and part it out so i can get those seats from my EK
Old 03-10-2002, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Si (ITR632)

I sat in one a few months back, all I can say was that it was very nice.......no comment on the manmeat shifter position though LOL.....I wonder who will do the first i-vtec crvrsx hatch
Old 03-11-2002, 06:56 PM
New User

Default Re: New Si (Halo)

ill be the first to put a 2.4L crv block on my 2.0L Si
Old 03-11-2002, 07:11 PM

Default Re: New Si (Civic Hatch Boy)

well...my opinion is....the 02 Si is very nice looking...but the headlight IMO is so FRICKIN HUGE ! ! ! But otherwise than that...i like it...it's very clean and sleek...
Old 03-12-2002, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Why Honda why

I think the new Si looks pretty good (even if it takes some getting used to). From all initial reports the handling is up to par and then some. But...

Why put crappy tires on the car? Yeah a lot of people will replace them along with the 15 inch wheels but what it does is make the car look bad when compared to the other sport compacts because it'll get artificially low skid pad numbers.

Why does the engine have a balancing shaft, and a 6800 rpm redline? So it'll be quieter they say. So it won't be as raucous as the B16A they say. This would be fine if the car were as fast as or faster than the old car but no, its slower. This is unacceptable. If anything the base RSX should have the quieter engine and the balance shaft.

Weight. 2744 lbs? Unacceptable. Part of the Honda allure is that they make lightweight cars. That is absolutely porky for a civic. I hope the gain in stiffness is worth it. Perhaps if the Si had a commensurate gain in power it would be ok, although added weight still affects braking distance.

Lastly price. The SE-R Spec V and Focus SVT are $18.5. The SE-R has a limited slip, more power and torque, and comparable handling. The Focus is faster, and ostensibly handles better(reliability yet to be seen). If the Civic is coming in at $19440, where's the performance? Both of its primary competitors match and exceed it in performance for the same or less money. I suppose Honda's thing has been balance of value, performance, convenience, and quality, but lets face it, we want performance. How could they let Ford beat them in performance with their first attempt?

Anyway I suppose I'm an all performance guy who is somewhat disappointed with the fact that the new car is slower than the old car. I do not want my beloved Hondas to become more "refined"(slower, heavier, softer, more expensive), the same way some of the sport compacts of the past have. Why does Honda spend so much money in Formula 1, CART, Speed WC, Grand-Am Cup, and many race series in Japan if they are not going to put class leading performance into their performance models.

</RANT>
Old 03-12-2002, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why Honda why (JMU R1)

I think the new Si looks pretty good (even if it takes some getting used to). From all initial reports the handling is up to par and then some. But...

Why put crappy tires on the car? Yeah a lot of people will replace them along with the 15 inch wheels but what it does is make the car look bad when compared to the other sport compacts because it'll get artificially low skid pad numbers.

Why does the engine have a balancing shaft, and a 6800 rpm redline? So it'll be quieter they say. So it won't be as raucous as the B16A they say. This would be fine if the car were as fast as or faster than the old car but no, its slower. This is unacceptable. If anything the base RSX should have the quieter engine and the balance shaft.

Weight. 2744 lbs? Unacceptable. Part of the Honda allure is that they make lightweight cars. That is absolutely porky for a civic. I hope the gain in stiffness is worth it. Perhaps if the Si had a commensurate gain in power it would be ok, although added weight still affects braking distance.

Lastly price. The SE-R Spec V and Focus SVT are $18.5. The SE-R has a limited slip, more power and torque, and comparable handling. The Focus is faster, and ostensibly handles better(reliability yet to be seen). If the Civic is coming in at $19440, where's the performance? Both of its primary competitors match and exceed it in performance for the same or less money. I suppose Honda's thing has been balance of value, performance, convenience, and quality, but lets face it, we want performance. How could they let Ford beat them in performance with their first attempt?

Anyway I suppose I'm an all performance guy who is somewhat disappointed with the fact that the new car is slower than the old car. I do not want my beloved Hondas to become more "refined"(slower, heavier, softer, more expensive), the same way some of the sport compacts of the past have. Why does Honda spend so much money in Formula 1, CART, Speed WC, Grand-Am Cup, and many race series in Japan if they are not going to put class leading performance into their performance models.

</RANT>
I agree with you 100 percent, but lets wait to see what ace card Honda has up there sleeve with this new Si. They didn't get to be where they are by accident
Old 03-12-2002, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why Honda why (Halo)

I don't care about the spec V or focus handling better and having more power. I'm still a honda lover and if i was to get a new car now i would get the SI .
Old 03-12-2002, 07:43 PM
New User

Default Re: Why Honda why (Boost Pressure)

i agree
Old 03-13-2002, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why Honda why (Boost Pressure)

I love Honda too. I hiss and boo at BMW and Ferrari F1 fans, I cheer for the Grand-Am Cup ITR's when they come here (VIR), and barely a day goes by that I don't talk about the Type-R.

Just the same I am not a blind follower of Honda. The has come to mean certain things to me and when Honda starts watering down their heritage I will not support them, because they should remember how they got where they are, and why they have so many fans.

To me, buying a car just because of the badge is like buying an ugly sweater just because its a Versace. It says that you are buying something for the image, not the content. Furthermore, it encourages the manufacturer to stay its course. The most effective way for consumers to tell companies what they want is with their wallets. Thus, if Versace starts making ugly sweaters, don't buy them.

Now if less noise, better interior, and more prestige is what you want out of the Si, I'd say go buy one. But I imagine the reason most people want the Si is because of the performance. And lets face it, there is no reason the new Si should not significantly eclipse the old Si and its competitors.

[Modified by JMU R1, 7:26 PM 3/13/2002]