Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

new ride. 92 dx hatch, imported

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new ride. 92 dx hatch, imported

ok so i sold the 93 sedan, and bought a 92 DX hatch for $1500. its a canadian car. it came without a passenger mirror, and it does not have parking lights in the front. it has city lights instead.

its a d15b7 with a 5 speed manual. im surprised tho, because it is faster than my sedan, even after i did the d16z6 and SI 5 speed swap. so i can't wait to try the b16 or b18 swap this summer after i save some money up, along with the 5.4L swap for my thunderbird.

heres some pics.

and by the way, ive already swapped out the gay "no tach" cluster, for the cluster out of my 93 sedan. just swapped my speedo into the lx cluster so it has a tach now.

what does the red sticker say? i can't read german.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: new ride. 92 dx hatch, imported

I'm not positive, but I think that's when your next service is due. Probably oil change, tire rotation, etc. I know "wechsel" means change or change-over.

fm
Old 10-27-2009, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yay, imported!!!!!!!!!!!!!! from where did you say? Oah canada? -_-
Old 10-27-2009, 03:47 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I doubt its Canadian. It certainly doesn't have a Canadian cluster, should also have DRLs.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sticker says you need new quarter panels
Old 10-27-2009, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when i saw imported i wasnt expecting this, plus i dont even see anything different from a canadian made US car.

Originally Posted by fastrxu
The sticker says you need new quarter panels
yeah fix the cancer.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
I doubt its Canadian. It certainly doesn't have a Canadian cluster, should also have DRLs.
canada started the DRL law in late 1992. my car was manufactured in march of 1992, so it came before the drl law. And for it to be imported you have to put an american cluster into it.

it has city lights however, no parking lights, not even a wire in the harness for them. and it has a factory rear fog lamp.

the girl i bought it from owned it since 2005 and the guy she bought it from worked for majestic honda.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you got alot of work ahead of you. good luck with your project.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ej1love
when i saw imported i wasnt expecting this, plus i dont even see anything different from a canadian made US car.

yeah fix the cancer.
yah im gonna do that first thing next year after theres no chance of snow. its not rot either. someone side swiped the car easily and tore a small chunk out. idk how im gonna fix it yet, prolly weld some sheet metal in there and bondo te outside to smooth it back out.

im worried more about performance then how it looks. but i do want it to look ok, but i dont want it to stand out.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:39 PM

has potential
Old 10-28-2009, 06:05 PM

dude I rock the no passenger mirror too. Im suprised I havent gotten a ticket here is PC. The law is bad here
Old 10-28-2009, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slow96lude
dude I rock the no passenger mirror too. Im suprised I havent gotten a ticket here is PC. The law is bad here
in rhode island, they say that all you need is one side view, and one rear view mirror, to pass inspection. my old truck had a passenger mirror that was broken off, and it passed inspection at a legit shop.

idk what im gonna do about the city lights tho. its already inspected, but idk how the inspection station will look at that, since i dont have any parking lights up front.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:40 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 92lxsleeper
canada started the DRL law in late 1992. my car was manufactured in march of 1992
Canada started the DRL law in 1990, it requires all vehicles made or imported after January 1/1990 to have DRLs

And for it to be imported you have to put an american cluster into it.
I'm not saying that isn't true, but its unlikely. We don't have to put Canadian clusters in US vehicles to import them (my father owns a '97 imported Tacoma with original US cluster in MPH)

it has city lights however, no parking lights, not even a wire in the harness for them. and it has a factory rear fog lamp.
None of that is Canadian. I highly suspect you have a Canadian made US civic the same as every other person that seems to think just because the core support says Honda Canada on it, it was imported. I'm not trying to be a dick, i'm just trying to stop the spread of wrong information.

the girl i bought it from owned it since 2005 and the guy she bought it from worked for majestic honda.[/quote]
Old 10-29-2009, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Canada started the DRL law in 1990, it requires all vehicles made or imported after January 1/1990 to have DRLs

I'm not saying that isn't true, but its unlikely. We don't have to put Canadian clusters in US vehicles to import them (my father owns a '97 imported Tacoma with original US cluster in MPH)

None of that is Canadian. I highly suspect you have a Canadian made US civic the same as every other person that seems to think just because the core support says Honda Canada on it, it was imported. I'm not trying to be a dick, i'm just trying to stop the spread of wrong information.

the girl i bought it from owned it since 2005 and the guy she bought it from worked for majestic honda.
[/QUOTE]

but in the us u have to have a mph cluster. i had a jdm cluster in my last civic, and it failed inspection because of it.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah cause it was in kph, doesnt cdm clusters show mph too though?
Old 10-29-2009, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That rust scares me. GL with the build.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Kewl, man.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:04 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

I'm going to have to side with 94EG8 on this one, at least for now. Though, I will say there are some curious things about your car that make it at least a little bit interesting...

First, the bad news:
  • Canadian 5th Gen Civics have DRLs. Without exception. You can tell this by the large yellow-labeled resistor in the driver's side corner of your engine bay, near the master brake cylinder. #3 in the image below.
  • Canadian Civic DXs came with a passenger side rear-view mirror. Without exception. It could have been removed by a previous owner (don't see why, though!).
  • However, Canadian CXs DID have optional rear-wipers and side mouldings, and COULD come without the passenger side mirror. They also came stock with the D15B7. Without exception. (NOT the D15B8, like in the US.)
  • I can't see if your car has SRS. ALL USDM 5th Gen Civics have SRS. However, though I am not 100%, I am pretty sure that Canadian 1992 DXs did NOT have SRS. SRS was even optional (or non-existent) on the 1992 Canadian Si, so I doubt that the DXs got them as a standard feature, though it's conceivable that it was an option on the DX. SRS was NOT available on the Canadian CX and VX, however. (See my post here for more info on the 1992 Si steering wheel: https://honda-tech.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=386)
  • A Canadian vehicle imported to the US would not LEGALLY have to swap out the cluster, as a Canadian cluster shows mph around the inner circle of the speedometer. (Opposite of a USDM cluster.) An owner might want to as it would get annoying looking at km/h outer markings all the time. Your JDM cluster did not pass inspection because it did not have mph markings.
Now the "good" (or at least, interesting) news:

• I am curious as to why there are some EDM-type options on your car. City lights? Rear fog light? Not even wired for parking lights? A German service sticker? Could be something, could be nothing. Very interesting, nonetheless. That big Honda of Canada sticker is not a good sign, though, nor is the lack of sidemarkers.
  • Can you provide some more pictures? Am interested your no front parking light problem, and how the rear fog light is set up. More interior shots would be great.
  • Can you provide the first 11 digits of your VIN? This will in no way identify your car, nor can it be used for nefarious purposes. It will tell me the make and model, however, as well as where it was built.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DeSchlong
I'm going to have to side with 94EG8 on this one, at least for now. Though, I will say there are some curious things about your car that make it at least a little bit interesting...

First, the bad news:
  • Canadian 5th Gen Civics have DRLs. Without exception. You can tell this by the large yellow-labeled resistor in the driver's side corner of your engine bay, near the master brake cylinder. #3 in the image below.
  • Canadian Civic DXs came with a passenger side rear-view mirror. Without exception. It could have been removed by a previous owner (don't see why, though!).
  • However, Canadian CXs DID have optional rear-wipers and side mouldings, and COULD come without the passenger side mirror. They also came stock with the D15B7. Without exception. (NOT the D15B8, like in the US.)
  • I can't see if your car has SRS. ALL USDM 5th Gen Civics have SRS. However, though I am not 100%, I am pretty sure that Canadian 1992 DXs did NOT have SRS. SRS was even optional (or non-existent) on the 1992 Canadian Si, so I doubt that the DXs got them as a standard feature, though it's conceivable that it was an option on the DX. SRS was NOT available on the Canadian CX and VX, however. (See my post here for more info on the 1992 Si steering wheel: https://honda-tech.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=386)
  • A Canadian vehicle imported to the US would not LEGALLY have to swap out the cluster, as a Canadian cluster shows mph around the inner circle of the speedometer. (Opposite of a USDM cluster.) An owner might want to as it would get annoying looking at km/h outer markings all the time. Your JDM cluster did not pass inspection because it did not have mph markings.
Now the "good" (or at least, interesting) news:

• I am curious as to why there are some EDM-type options on your car. City lights? Rear fog light? Not even wired for parking lights? A German service sticker? Could be something, could be nothing. Very interesting, nonetheless. That big Honda of Canada sticker is not a good sign, though, nor is the lack of sidemarkers.
  • Can you provide some more pictures? Am interested your no front parking light problem, and how the rear fog light is set up. More interior shots would be great.
  • Can you provide the first 11 digits of your VIN? This will in no way identify your car, nor can it be used for nefarious purposes. It will tell me the make and model, however, as well as where it was built.
Update.

met the original owner finally. heres the story.

he bought the car new in 92. the city lights, and rear fog lights were factory, they were a dealer installed option, he was planning on moving to europe. he went to germany in 93 and came back in the end of 93. he moved to the states in 94 and changed out the cluster to mph and removed the DRL.

after i met him, he had me come back the next day and he had a box he had parts in it for the car, including the original km/h cluster that only shows 24,534 kms, a spare distributor, and the DRL set up.

Last edited by 92lxsleeper; 07-29-2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: met owner, clearing story up.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what does the red sticker say? i can't read german.
The sticker says: "Next Brake Fluid Change By: xxxx Kilometer, At the latest on: 6/04.

Here is a thought on the car. It could have been imported into Germany by a Canadian (Military?). They would have had to gotten a TUV certification/inspection which may have required some of the parts to be changed to meet TUV spec.

The German market 92-95 Civic's are a bit weird. Here is how the CX/DX trim level hatchbacks come:
-1.4L carburated engine... yes all the way through 1995
-JDM style side markers
-Alternate rear hatch for Euro style license plate
-Clear corner lamps
-Metric gauges
-JDM style bumpers with rub strips (*edit... this is only on the Ek models, not EG. But they do have a 92-95 civic station wagon here)

So for me I'd say for sure this is not a German market car, but that it likely was in Germany.

If you want to check out specs or pictures on German market cars check out this used car site:

www.autoscout24.de

Last edited by Ausmith; 10-29-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:56 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Ausmith, I suspect you're right. That car has probably been to Germany and back. Military is a good guess, or else visiting academic or other professional.

OP: I await your pictures! And that VIN checks out as a DX trim. Does it have the DRL resistor in the corner of the engine bay?
Old 10-29-2009, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good luck with the hatch, i just got one a few weeks ago and its weird having only the driver side mirror, deffinately doin some head checks.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DeSchlong
Ausmith, I suspect you're right. That car has probably been to Germany and back. Military is a good guess, or else visiting academic or other professional.

OP: I await your pictures! And that VIN checks out as a DX trim. Does it have the DRL resistor in the corner of the engine bay?
it does not have a DRL resistor box in the engine bay, is it possible it was removed? if it did come with one, where would a plug for it be located?

heres some pics of the rear fog, and city lights. its 1am almost so its hard to see, but you wont be able to see a difference in the daylight.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1500 is deals right there
Old 10-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DOHCtorEK
1500 is deals right there
well she wanted $1000 for it, but i know her, i work with her so im giving her 1500 since shes letting me give her 100 a week for it.

Quick Reply: new ride. 92 dx hatch, imported