Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

new rebuilt motor when started its full throttle but throttle cable isnt hooked up.....HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new rebuilt motor when started its full throttle but throttle cable isnt hooked up.....HELP!!!!!

when you start the car the tb doesnt open but it sound like its at full throttle... its a dx motor and intake manifold with a cx throttle cable holder any help????
Old 06-04-2005, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

most likely a vacuum leak...

check intake manifold gasket, throttle body gasket, and misc sensors on the intake manifold...
Old 06-04-2005, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: new rebuilt motor when started its full throttle but throttle cable isnt hooked up.....HELP!!!!!

do you have the intake tube back on?make sure that nothing is inside the TB,holding the plate open.
as said above,check for vacuum leaks,unhookedhoses,etc.
Chris
Old 06-04-2005, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new rebuilt motor when started its full throttle but throttle cable isnt hooked up.....HELP!!!!!

bump
Old 06-04-2005, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

now the car wont start at all it wont even crank over
Old 06-04-2005, 08:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when you start the car the tb doesnt open but it sound like its at full throttle... its a dx motor and intake manifold with a cx throttle cable holder any help????</TD></TR></TABLE>

100% must be a vacuum leak. Intake manifold not bolted up right, PCV, Brake booster, or something else.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">now the car wont start at all it wont even crank over</TD></TR></TABLE>

Since your fuel pump is turning, it's not the main relay.

Tranny ground, wiring to starter motor, I bet it's electrical and it's under your hood.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:28 PM

i just worked on my throttle body today and ive had the same problem when i turned it on it went full or high throttle...wellt he probem is that (i dont know all the real names im sorry for that) the sping thats behind the "lever" (--the one u can turn to open the throttle up when your under the hood)...yea anyway that lever...there's a spring behind it, make shure that when u put it back on that it's turned like to the left 1 full rotation...and stick it in like that so that it pushes clockwise against the throttle opening switch...therefore closing down ur throttle when ur not hitting the gas...the purpose of that spring is to pull the throttle back closed....so installing it turned the opposite way will make it "always" be pullin towards closing the tb...(but not all the way or else engine will die)...lucky for me we have 2 civics in our house and i just looked at my brothers car to see how it was setup and hit myself for not paying more attention to details taking it off...hehe
Old 06-04-2005, 09:31 PM

...and the engine wont start if it cant get the throttle open....that is when the throttle becomes 100% closed on older cars...with all the dirt and everythign in there it will be hard to to open...VERY HARD...so what u wanna do is before you put it back on....try to not slam it shut close it gently....and when u install the spring make shure its' pulling (keeping) the throttle open just a crack to allow the engine to breath...REMEMBER: if u close it shut 100% that tb will be hard to open...atleast on older cars or if u tried to clean it

what i did was hit the bottom of the throttle plate with a wrench to force it open...then i would keep my finger in there or on the lever to keep it open a bit, until i got the spring there to permanently hold it
Old 06-05-2005, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok now it wont start when you turn the key on i cant even hear the fuel pump prime like normal......
Old 06-05-2005, 07:17 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok now it wont start when you turn the key on i cant even hear the fuel pump prime like normal......</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ha, you said earlier you'd hear it. OK, then it's not a ground or starter motor. If you have a friend with a GSR try swapping main relays. Check your ECU harness too. *shrug*

Do you still hear a click when you turn the key?

-Chris

Old 06-05-2005, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jay-Dee-Em &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...and the engine wont start if it cant get the throttle open....that is when the throttle becomes 100% closed on older cars...with all the dirt and everythign in there it will be hard to to open...VERY HARD...so what u wanna do is before you put it back on....try to not slam it shut close it gently....and when u install the spring make shure its' pulling (keeping) the throttle open just a crack to allow the engine to breath...REMEMBER: if u close it shut 100% that tb will be hard to open...atleast on older cars or if u tried to clean it

what i did was hit the bottom of the throttle plate with a wrench to force it open...then i would keep my finger in there or on the lever to keep it open a bit, until i got the spring there to permanently hold it </TD></TR></TABLE>
the throttle plate is normally fully closed.the can has an electric valve that controls the idle airflow to the engine.
the spring won't keep the throttle open any at all.there is a small setscrew that contacts the rotor that allows adjustment of the butterfly at the closed position.
Chris
Old 06-05-2005, 08:49 PM

Alright man, if you're going to AIM people at random to help you, at least tell us what fixed the idle, and what fixed the starting issue?

-Chris