Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Ram Air Setup

new setup

old setup
Old 10-19-2001, 06:34 PM
New User

Default Re: New Ram Air Setup (shane89z24)

Is that a freaking Coffee can on the new one, if so, that is some excellent engineering for cheap
Old 10-19-2001, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Ram Air Setup (slowerthanu)

Yes Sir it sure is... the old setup lasted just over a year and go so ditry and crappy i came up with a new idea.. the old setup had a scoop at the bottom of the bumper but now its just the 3 inch tube WORKS ALOT BETTER NOW.. i got a little 1hp vacuum thats has a blower also and tested it and it works excellent..
Old 10-19-2001, 06:55 PM
New User

I like, a good way to keep cool air flowing.
Old 10-19-2001, 07:18 PM
New User

how good does it work?
Old 10-19-2001, 07:47 PM

As cheap and functional as that may be, I don't think I could do something like that. I can just hear the comments no from the anti-import fans.
"From coffee can exhausts to coffee can intakes"
Old 10-19-2001, 07:55 PM
New User

Default Re: New Ram Air Setup (itrhybrid)

Yeah and then you witness some of the stuff domestic guys do to there car, like putting there name on the door, jacking up the rear end to fit big tires when they still have a 2 barrel 305 in the car. T-TOPS (lets never forget that)
Old 10-19-2001, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn... looks like my setup!
Old 10-20-2001, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Ram Air Setup (DragonCTR69)

Nice execution... One problem with using a Coffee Can... It is made of Steel and Steel conducts heat very well. You could be doing more harm than good.

I actually popped the hood after driving 30 minutes and the can wasnt hot at all.. the intake tube was warm but the can wasnt.. im gonna put that heat sheild from the old setup back on too..
my ram air page
http://www.geocities.com/shane89z24/CKSracing.html
Old 10-20-2001, 06:57 AM
New User

Well, with the intake pipe being steel also (or is it polished aluminum) I dont think it will be that big of a problem (esspecially since the air is moving so fast) You could always get some thermo-tec heat shield tape or even a thermo-tec heat blanket and that would solve any problem there.
Old 10-20-2001, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have to post pics of my new Comptech-style ram air box once I get them developed, but as others have said--heat is definitely the enemy here. I have mine lined w/ Thermo-tec cool-it mat. I lost serious power (learned this at the dragstrip) when I didn't have it insulated.
Old 10-20-2001, 11:16 AM
New User

i like this setup myself.. very oem'ish.

^^ not mine ^^

[Modified by theFungusAmongus, 10:05 PM 10/22/2001]
Old 10-20-2001, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Ram Air Setup (DragonCTR69)

Compared to aluminum, stainless steel is an insulator meaning aluminum conducts heat better than steel or stainless steel for that matter.

Nice execution... One problem with using a Coffee Can... It is made of Steel and Steel conducts heat very well. You could be doing more harm than good. I would recommend Aluminum or Fiber glass

Similar to mysetup. I've had this thing on my car since 98 and NEVER had a problem. Much better than a CAI.

I have a Air scoop for anyone interested It's made of a very durable plastic and has a nice Shape.
I'm selling it for 50 bucks if you're interested. NEVER been used Brand NEW. Reason I'm not using it??? I'm an Engineer and I came up with something else. I'll take photos once I'm done with it.

[Modified by DragonCTR69, 3:02 AM 10/20/2001]
Old 10-20-2001, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Ram Air Setup (theFungusAmongus)

i like this setup myself.. very oem'ish.
u feel any difference? Wat bout sound?
Old 10-21-2001, 12:19 AM
New User

Default Re: New Ram Air Setup (Downeybear11)

When you're on the freeway, does your car start to smell like someone just made some coffee?

Old 10-21-2001, 02:59 PM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to give you an 'E' for effort, my friend, but you are suffering from a rash of misconception[s].

#1 - At automobile velocities, there is NO ram air effect. Ram air effect begins at around Mach 0.5 [roughly half the speed of sound]. This is a matter of fact, not opinion. Please, don't bother trying to argue this. It'll be a waste of your time and mine.

Below about Mach 0.5, air is considered “incompressible”. That is, even if the correct nozzle design is selected [which yours is not], and the air is slowed down [the official term is “stagnated”] there will be zero trade. No kinetic energy will be traded for work capable of compressing the air. The reasons for this will not be discussed here; nobody on this site would understand it anyway. If anyone is interested, they can consult any reputable fluid mechanics textbook for confirmation of this statement.

In plain English, a car is just too slow for ram air to work.

#2 - Your 'coffee can' "ram air setup" is shaped totally wrong. For ram air to work, the nozzle must be of a specific shape. The fact that it has no net shape at all immediately means it cannot effect any kind of energy trade off, so it cannot possibly create ram air.

A "diverging funnel" design is needed to produce true ram air effect, and it will only work at Mach 0.5 and above. In a "diverging funnel" design, it gets bigger as the air flows through it. With a larger exit than entrance, the narrow end of the cone is where the air would enter, and the fat end is where it would exit.

If you are interested, this is what a true ram air effect diverging funnel intake system looks like [Mugen Formula 3]:

I think this will show you how hopelessly inadequate your 'coffee can' design is...

#3 - While you may think your "ram air setup" has some CAI effect while moving [and it may], it will do absolutely nothing while sitting at a stop e.i. before launching your car at a drag strip or sitting at a stoplight, when it is needed most. The fact that your 'coffee can' collector is not sealed allows hot air from your engine compartment [the hottest place in your car] to enter the intake system. This will give you zero effect, or worse, harm your performance.

Sorry to rain on your parade, bro, but someone needed to set you straight. You're barkin' up the wrong tree...
Old 10-21-2001, 03:52 PM
New User

Default Re: New Ram Air Setup (BlackDeuceCoupe)

OT: Hey, BlackDeuce, what exhaust is that on the picture of the HX? I've got a greddy, but I'm changing it soon. I like the looks of that one. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2001, 06:58 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: New Ram Air Setup (DeceitfulCivic)

OT: Hey, BlackDeuce, what exhaust is that on the picture of the HX?
OT: It's a Tenzo R Venturi rear section.

It looks and sounds V much like a Greddy, costs less and is of equal or better quality IMO...

[Modified by BlackDeuceCoupe, 8:03 PM 10/21/2001]
Old 10-21-2001, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

interesting to hear, and that mugen thing a ma bobber lookes like a rocket.
Old 10-22-2001, 03:55 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: New Ram Air Setup (DreamSpeed)

interesting to hear, and that mugen thing a ma bobber lookes like a rocket.
Mugen got the shape right, but it still won't give any ram effect 'cause of the speed, or lack thereof. I just wanted to show ppl what a properly designed ram air 'scoop' looks like.
Old 10-22-2001, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

>>At automobile velocities, there is NO ram air effect. Ram air effect begins at around Mach 0.5 [roughly half the speed of sound]. This is a matter of fact, not opinion. Please, don't bother trying to argue this. It'll be a waste of your time and mine.<<

Obviously, you are correct with regards to people attempting to create a "compressed" air charge with a ram air set up. However, Ram-air setups are more about reducing the *vacuum* that exists in an intake tube than providing some sort of free FI.

There are several examples of simple and effective ram air intakes (check out the Speedvision WC touring cars). If you can resolve the air flow issue around the front of the pipe, IMO the "coffee can" design can work.

Old 10-22-2001, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry to rain on your parade, bro, but someone needed to set you straight. You're barkin' up the wrong tree...
So you are saying having no heat shield around the filter and the filter sucking all the hot *** air from your engine bay,, is the same as having the heat blocked away from the filter and having nice cold air costantly blowing at the filter Except for sitting still.. hmm i wonder which one is better??? its a good thing you wasted your time on that long *** post that meant nothing to me.. Just makes me laugh that you think it wont do anything..for every degree drop in intake temp the more hp .. obviously you didnt know that
Old 10-22-2001, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

#3 The fact that your 'coffee can' collector is not sealed allows hot air from your engine compartment [the hottest place in your car] to enter the intake system. This will give you zero effect, or worse, harm your performance.
actually.....I have a heat sheild, but it is not on in that picture!! There's no need to get all upset, and write your life story about why ram air setups don't work!!
If they didn't work.....they wouldn't be selling them for mustangs, and building them on stock engines(i.e. corvette, transam....blah blah blah)

AND just wondering.......did you ever notice when you rode the school bus that is was alot shorter than all the other school buses!!! lol nice avatar
Old 10-22-2001, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So you are saying having no heat shield around the filter and the filter sucking all the hot *** air from your engine bay,, is the same as having the heat blocked away from the filter and having nice cold air costantly blowing at the filter Except for sitting still.. hmm i wonder which one is better??? its a good thing you wasted your time on that long *** post that meant nothing to me.. Just makes me laugh that you think it wont do anything..for every degree drop in intake temp the more hp .. obviously you didnt know that

civicgirl applauds!!!!! good answer!!
Old 10-23-2001, 05:05 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: New Ram Air Setup (fsp31)

... Obviously, you are correct with regards to people attempting to create a "compressed" air charge with a ram air set up. However, Ram-air setups are more about reducing the *vacuum* that exists in an intake tube than providing some sort of free FI...
Yes, I see, but would you please explain how blowing a little cool air on the OUTSIDE of a filter surrounded by an open-ended Folger's coffee can reduces vacuum INSIDE the tube . If there is no "compressed" air, then there is NO positive pressure, therefore no ram-effect.

Quick Reply: New Ram Air Setup