Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New project looking for direction

Old 09-20-2014, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New project looking for direction

Hello everybody! So I've been looking for some sort of a project for a while now and finally found myself a nice 98 ex coupe that I should have by the end of next week. i browse the forums regularly, have done quite a bit of reading and have come up with some sort of idea with what I want to do with the car. As of right now it's in the planning stage and I don't like to get into anything without being prepared so I figured a budgeted long term plan was in order. I live in Wyoming, my daily driver is a truck so I have a vehicle for the winter conditions when needed so if the end build isn't practical for all driving purposes that's fine with me. I guess where I'm lost is I'm not sure what kind of HP goal I want to aim for as I'm used to bigger vehicles, I've owned some muscle cars and as far as imports a 3000gt vr4 so that's a whole different type of idea than a smaller car. I'be always liked Hondas, my first car was an older civic with big dreams for it that got pushed aside as I got older and now I'm able to actually put some money towards the idea. Part of my reasoning beside that may seem a little stupid but I live in a town populated by STIs and Mustangs and a lot of kids with Civics in really bad shape and I'd honestly like to build something a little quicker than a slightly modded STI just because I find it sad the poor Hondas get such a bad name from nobody ever completing one around here. So with that being the wanted result, what kind of HP range should I be shooting for? I don't want anything crazy, something fun to drive around but at least somewhat reliable at the same time. the build can be slow, I'm getting the car a lot cheaper than expected so I have more than anticipated to begin with though. That ended up a lot longer than I expected it to so thanks for reading and any advice or direction will be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-20-2014, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New project looking for direction

Boost it. IMO it's the most bang for the $$.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I plan on it at some point, just trying to get an idea of the HP range I'd need to hit for that kind of power. From there it decides if I build a D16 and boost it or go for a swap and boost it later.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:13 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

200 to the wheels will put you roughly on par with a stock 4.6L GT mustang, and is easily attainable on a stock motor. 300 will put you into the territory of needing an LSD and very nice rubber to properly put the power down, you'll need some form of a swap or mildly built motor, and you'll rarely actually use the motor's full potential on public roads. Power to weight is a simple concept - start looking at it, if you don't know what you "want".

Read the FAQ sticky. Once you've finished, go through and read it again. Your question is EXTREMELY vague, and borderlining on having no technical merit.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:21 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

B18c5 will serve you well. I've heard a lot of guys having luck with a LS VTEC (b18b with b16a head, from 99-00 civic Si). Either option will peg you around 150-160 whp, with boltons. Throw a snail on it, and push that close to 200 whp, however, a supercharger would be unique, and still quite powerful, with a unique sounding exhaust note. Jackson Racing makes a great kit for the civic line up.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Old 09-20-2014, 09:25 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Old 09-20-2014, 09:28 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

This is probably close to what you would get just supercharging your d16
Old 09-20-2014, 09:29 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

The Jackson Racing supercharger is no longer manufactured, and finding one in working condition at a price worth spending on it for anything other than novelty is an exercise in futility. The same goes for most B series supercharger kits, as well. That being said, if you're only getting 200 out of a B series, any B series, with a properly set up and tuned turbo, you're doing it painfully wrong. Also, Crazy, there's an edit button. Try using it some time.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:59 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

What did you just say to me??!
Old 09-20-2014, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry if it seemed vague, I kind of got distracted and rambled away from my point. I have read the FAQ more than once along with others, I do know the general direction I want to go, I guess I'm looking for advice on the most simple path to get there. So I guess to be more direct about it, I'm looking at around 250-300 whp. I know that's obtainable by a decently built stock engine and turbo setup or a b series swap with no engine work needed. I kind of like the idea of building a d series and going from there but I know there's more potential from a b series. So if I want something with that goal in mind that's reliable, still fairly decent as an everyday car, which of the two options seems like a better choice? or is it more a preference thing since that goal is obtainable either way? With my goal not being too high I don't want to put a lot of extra money into wasted potential that will never be tapped. and thanks for the honest reply

and when you live in the middle of nowhere or near it, the idea of public roads and other things around is much different than if you're from a city, there's a lot of room out here and a lot of empty spaces!
Old 09-20-2014, 11:22 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Spilph
Sorry if it seemed vague, I kind of got distracted and rambled away from my point. I have read the FAQ more than once along with others, I do know the general direction I want to go, I guess I'm looking for advice on the most simple path to get there. So I guess to be more direct about it, I'm looking at around 250-300 whp. I know that's obtainable by a decently built stock engine and turbo setup or a b series swap with no engine work needed. I kind of like the idea of building a d series and going from there but I know there's more potential from a b series. So if I want something with that goal in mind that's reliable, still fairly decent as an everyday car, which of the two options seems like a better choice? or is it more a preference thing since that goal is obtainable either way? With my goal not being too high I don't want to put a lot of extra money into wasted potential that will never be tapped. and thanks for the honest reply

and when you live in the middle of nowhere or near it, the idea of public roads and other things around is much different than if you're from a city, there's a lot of room out here and a lot of empty spaces!
b series. comparable fuel mileage vs a d series, stock vs stock, but better buildability
Old 09-21-2014, 02:33 AM
Anti-GDD White Knight Simp

IMO, don't just look at it from one standpoint of "what do I need to do to my engine."

That's an important part, but it's only half- or less than half- of the struggle. I think looking at power-to-weight ratio will get you much farther.

BTW: there are many free or nearly free mods for putting your car on a diet, should be very beneficial