Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New to porting...Can I reduce performance by porting it "wrong"?

Old 09-29-2004, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to porting...Can I reduce performance by porting it "wrong"?

Im thinking of porting my y8 IM , but I don't want to mess up. Can a bad port job actually reduce performance?
Old 09-29-2004, 12:26 AM
All Motor Mentor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New to porting...Can I reduce performance by porting it "wrong"? (xtremeazian)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xtremeazian &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im thinking of porting my y8 IM , but I don't want to mess up. Can a bad port job actually reduce performance?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It certainly can in a big way! However you're just porting your intake manifold and there's not much you can (or should) do with that other than port match it. Porting a head is where knowing what you're doing is very important and where you can screw things up royally so leave that to someone who knows what they're doing.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks..I'll stick with port matching. I don't think I'll be porting my head wihtout the proper knowledge and understanding of how it all works.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:08 AM

Default Re: (xtremeazian)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00Red_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It certainly can in a big way! However you're just porting your intake manifold and there's not much you can (or should) do with that other than port match it. Porting a head is where knowing what you're doing is very important and where you can screw things up royally so leave that to someone who knows what they're doing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

A port match won't help THAT much...just leave it like it is...now if you get the head and everything else ported and polished then go on and throw a port match in the mix. just my .02$

Edit: oh...I didn't see the 10psi of boost on your signature. Maybe a port match wouldnt hurt =o) but...if you dont know how to port...how the **** you got a turbo? Did you have it installed?
Old 09-29-2004, 05:11 AM
my house has wheels on it

Default Re: (murmur9)

i have heard of people leaving the i/m ports intentionally smaller than the port on the head, to fight reversion of the intake charge while the intake valves are closed
Old 09-29-2004, 05:27 AM
Electrician

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by murmur9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Edit: oh...I didn't see the 10psi of boost on your signature. Maybe a port match wouldnt hurt =o) but...if you dont know how to port...how the **** you got a turbo? Did you have it installed? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Port matching and porting is WAY different than bolting on a turbo kit. Any monkey with tools can bolt on a manifold, turbo, intercooler piping and intercooler. The hard thing involved is the electronics and tuning it.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Edit: oh...I didn't see the 10psi of boost on your signature. Maybe a port match wouldnt hurt =o) but...if you dont know how to port...how the **** you got a turbo? Did you have it installed? [/QUOTE]

How does porting have anything to do with a turbo set-up? Anyone can port, I just want it done correctly.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:29 AM

Default Re: New to porting...Can I reduce performance by porting it "wrong"? (xtremeazian)

Noobs question here:

Does a port job on the head just make all the intake/exhaust port biggers so more air/exhaust can flow in/out of the cylinders faster, or does the polishing of it do a special technique to help it out?
Old 09-29-2004, 09:03 AM

Default Re: New to porting...Can I reduce performance by porting it "wrong"? (Justin_Bradley)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Justin_Bradley &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Noobs question here:

Does a port job on the head just make all the intake/exhaust port biggers so more air/exhaust can flow in/out of the cylinders faster, or does the polishing of it do a special technique to help it out? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Point 1- bigger is NOT always better. If you make the port too big your charge velocity (intake or exhaust) can be reduced, which kills power/torque at anything except the high rpms. Chances are that there is already a lot of 'dead space' in your port which doesn't even help flow capacity (cfm's) but does hurt velocity. Reshaping the port is probably going to be better than enlarging it. See Standard Abrasives' "DIY porting" page for some good fundamentals of moderate porting (mostly clean-up)

Point 2- generally, polished combustion chambers and exhaust are used to prevent carbon buildup and remove hot spots. Intake mani/ports should NOT be polished- this actually hurts flow instead of helping it because a 2-phase solution (liquid and air) works better when it has a slightly rough surface to cling to and the roughness also prevents fuel puddling.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: New to porting...Can I reduce performance by porting it "wrong"? (Mr Black)

Turbo engines respond better to porting and port matching than do NA engines. Even if it doesn't make a huge difference, why discourage him since it's DIY? With DIY, everything is worth doing.

If I were you, I'd get some practice heads/manifolds and buy some books on the subject. For turbo with a lot of boost, it doesn't hurt to open it up. While you're in there, get a valve angle job.

As a monkey with tools, I agree with what he said. I can bolt on a turbo kit but I certainly cannot port a head.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:27 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by murmur9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

A port match won't help THAT much...just leave it like it is...now if you get the head and everything else ported and polished then go on and throw a port match in the mix. just my .02$

Edit: oh...I didn't see the 10psi of boost on your signature. Maybe a port match wouldnt hurt =o) but...if you dont know how to port...how the **** you got a turbo? Did you have it installed? </TD></TR></TABLE>Since when does knowing how to port have anything to do with putting on a turbo?
Old 09-29-2004, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Revolver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Revolver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Since when does knowing how to port have anything to do with putting on a turbo?</TD></TR></TABLE>
i wanna also know.