Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New member - Project vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member - Project vehicle

Hello all!

Background - Iam 18 years old, and very interested in the modified scene. I own a Lexus GS400 that is moderately modified, and hold a steady job. I have come to the conclusion that modifying my GS is very expensive, and Iam not satisfied with the returns, which is another story. A good friend of mine recently picked up an '87 CRX DX trim, and I realized it would be alot of fun to buy my own project and restore it. So, the search began.

Currently - Go figure within minutes of cruising around (Craigs is not the place to find stock projects...) we notice a red ej2 in a driveway near his house. Clearly it was not in use, parked near mulch with 1 flat -- but very little honda cancer. We speak with the lady: 94 dx coupe, 5MT, red(clearcoat is faded) totally stock, original owner,2xxk miles. My brother owns this exact vehicle, in teal, runs great with 270k. Long story short, battery is dead, pass light cracked with a bees nest lol, RF fender dented pass door cant open, and needed a radiator. Told her we could tow it ASAP, asked the price -- here comes the hook folks, clearly someone outside of the modified scene has no idea what these cars are, just a little econo-box. " $100, i gotta get something for it..." Needless to say I agreed, but tried not to show that i was completely elated at the fact...

Conclusion - We will be picking the car up on Tuesday the 4th. I plan to assess the damage, and buy any parts it appears to need. I will keep the community posted.

I look forward to starting this project, and restoring what is needed to make it driveable, will continue from there

Thanks,
-Austin

Included are some pictures of my GS...

Old 05-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New member - Project vehicle

JW.... what made u come to honda-tech?
Old 05-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My mechanics are always talking about it, and it seems to be extremely active.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If your wondering why I chose this specific forum as opposed to civic.com or something...
Old 05-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

goood buy
Old 05-04-2010, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, Manny.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

pics of the new car!
Old 05-04-2010, 05:31 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Austin1UZ
My mechanics are always talking about it, and it seems to be extremely active.
It is. Honda-tech is still the best forum for these cars.

Very good pickup. A family member of mine paid like $800 for an EJ hatch in similar condition to restore. $100 for any Honda that isn't wrecked and runs is an absolute steal.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Man, $100? That's incredible. Hopefully it doesn't have any serious issues. Good luck on the build!
Old 05-04-2010, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

even if it did its a hundred bucks. most of whats on hondas get replaced anyways.

GL.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

welcome and nice ride
Old 05-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys! So excited, EEEK! (Not to be confused with an EK, which is not the chassis code for this particular Honda...)

As far as condition, the interior has cleaned up so well...no scratches on the plastic, chassis has 212k. Def upgrading the steering wheel to something more compact and a better material. Lighting - some bulbs out, all lenses are clear with the exception of one headlight which is smashed. Paint - very faded and oxidized, this area is my speciality, so i will be detailing it very soon pics will be posted, i think it can be restored very well because it is red, which is an easy color to work with. Body - windshield cracked and webbed. Pass fender bent inhibiting the door from opening, dad is going to try and bang it out. Dents all over passenger side, the vehicle was used as a backstop for the kids . Mechanical - brakes require work, possibly master cylinder but iam not savvy here. Clutch feels good with life left according to my father and friend, an integra gsr driver. Lol, iam not good on M/T yet...def need to practice. Worst - cracked head, or appears to be as diagnosed by my mechanic over the phone, a hondatech member and someone who has been around hondas for a decade. Blows white smoke like hell under throttle and exhaust smells sweet and has a leak -- perfect reason to go aftermarket catback (Apexi n1 based on price, plus my GS4 has an apexi catback which howls).

Plans - according to mechanic it would be cheaper to do a swap rather than repair this old motor, will discuss with him because my plans are to boost (moderate build, 220-250 max @ wheels) I would prefer non vtec, the vtec hondas I have seen tend to burn oil, while both of the d series in my household burn very little. Iam thinking an LS engine, however I truly do not know and only chose this because of the larger displacement probably as a result of the age-old "there is no replacement for displacement". The car will be taken to the mechanic sunday night, to be looked at that week. I will keep this thread posted, I plan to be road ready in a month max.

Pic once i got it home, trunk is open not smashed, only took 1 with iPhone, unable to upload pictures from digital -- missing the cable.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Still great for $100. An LS swap would definitely be a good choice for you. They're pretty cheap and great for boost. I also feel like there's no replacement for displacement. Funny how we end up drooling over Hondas.