Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New member - New 6th gen

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member - New 6th gen

Over the weekend I became a civic owner. Im a little excited, a little nervous, and a lot inexperienced. I have worked on plenty of motorcycles, v8 cars and trucks, as well as lots of experience doing maintenance at an industrial plant. I would say that I am pretty good mechanically, but when it comes to a Honda, I am green.

About the car -

odometer reads 266k, but the seller claims there is only 120k on the new motor. I believe the car is an ej6, with a d16 motor (could be wrong on this). Auto transmission.
There is a short ram intake, and exhaust all the way to the headers. Not very sure on anything else

What i know the car needs -

Radiator support - When i bought the car it did not have a hood, i went and got a used carbon fiber hood, and nothing lines up. Turns out the kid i bought it from ran into a pole. The radiator support is all bent up, as well as the hood mounting brackets.

Hood brackets - See above

Drivers side door does not lock - should be easy fix

Missing fasteners on front panels and bumber - When he hit whatever he hit, he put new fenders and a new front bumper. Its currently held on with zip ties

Fix A/C - Ac is blowing, but its not cold. Have not looked much into this yet. Need to check and see if the compressor is engaging. I did poke a screwdriver into the low and high side ports to see if there was pressure. The low side spat out some greenish liquid. Not sure if that could be dye or refrigerant. The high side just let out air (i only quickly pressed them, and i had a rag wrapped around the screwdriver. I did not sit there and release refrigerant into the atmosphere)

Passenger window crank - Window is a pita to roll up and down, need to take the panel off and investigate

Passenger mirror - the reflective glass fell off on the way home after buying the car. The truck behind me then ran the glass piece over. RIP

Lower motor mount - When i was adjusting the tension on the AC belt, i noticed that the lower motor mount is busted. Needs to be replaced.

Install horn switch/button - Previous owner installed "racing" steering wheel with a quick release (probably a result of airbag being deployed.) now i need to install a horn switch to pass inspection

Driver side seat belt retractor - Seat belt wont retract

Clear coat hood - I picked up a carbon fiber hood off craigslist that has the clear coat peeling off. I am currently in the contract period of buying a house. When and if that goes through, i will have a garage in a couple weeks to sand down and re-apply clear coat.

Paint car - Both the front fenders are primer black, the rest of the car is red. Considering just painting the fenders, also considering repainting the whole car

Ill upload pics shortly

Im looking forward to this process. After fixing all these minor issues, I will decide where to go from there. A h22/f23 (dunno if that works) with a 5 speed swap might be fun. First off i want it to look decent though.

End product would look something like this (i just found this pic on a quick google search)

This process will be a bit of a long process. The house we are buying needs some remodel work. If there are any tips or pointers, im all ears. Civics are completely foreign languages to me. Also if you have any suggestions on things that are on my current to do list, let me know. Thanks!

Last edited by rptshame; 10-17-2016 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New member - New 6th gen

Okay i did a little more digging and asked the previous owner for any receipts he has.

The car has a new alternator, new water pump. Has all synthetic fluids replaced 2 weeks ago. Has adjustable coilovers, a front and rear sway bar. Let me take a pic of the engine bay and upload it

Last edited by rptshame; 10-17-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

okay i can confirm there is a fluid leak of some sort. Looks like oil. Seller claims its "transmission oil"
Old 10-17-2016, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In a few weeks i think i am going to pull the motor out, replace the radiator mount, and while im at it replace any seals. Could anyone point me in the right direction of what needs to be replaced?

Rear main seal
Front main seal
Cam seal
Timing belt