Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New Member: Hi + Question on coilovers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member: Hi + Question on coilovers.

Hey guys,

I'm new to these forums, but I've been spending 2+ hours a day on these forums reading, ever since I got my 94 Si Hatch a couple of weeks ago. I really enjoy these forums because of the quality of people

On to the question: I've decided to go with GC Coilovers for my car because I want to get the look perfect. I am mostly looking for better performance, but I want a little bit of a drop too. I was planning on buying from http://www.nolimitmotorsport.c....html, and I want to double check with you all to make sure I'm not making a mistake. I am planning on ordering "4530.01", and using my stock shocks with them. Anything wrong with my plan? Any extra parts I will need?

Thank you all for any help you may be able to give me!
Old 01-24-2005, 07:30 PM

Default Re: New Member: Hi + Question on coilovers. (Aphelion)

should be posted in suspension forum
https://honda-tech.com/zeroforum?id=54

but as far as parts you need depends on how far you want to drop it.
drop will also decide if you need different shocks
you should also get shocks that are made for coilovers (have threads) like Tokico Illuminas or something like them.

here is my drop front

rear

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Aphelion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I really enjoy these forums because of the quality of people
</TD></TR></TABLE>

what have you been reading?? sure it was here??
Old 01-24-2005, 07:39 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

&lt;sigh&gt; Don't use stock shocks. Please.

If you can't afford good dampers now, then hold off on installing the coilovers while you save for them.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:39 PM

Default Re: New Member: Hi + Question on coilovers. (civictildeath)

Oops, I thought suspension forum would have been for general suspension questions, I'll post there next time. I said a "little drop", what I meant was about 1.5" or less. You said the drop will decide if I need different shocks or not, then you said I should get shocks that are made for coilovers. Does this mean that I will or will not be able to use stock shocks for a 1.5"(or smaller) drop? Thanks for your help
Old 01-24-2005, 07:42 PM

Default Re: New Member: Hi + Question on coilovers. (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">&lt;sigh&gt; Don't use stock shocks. Please.

If you can't afford good dampers now, then hold off on installing the coilovers while you save for them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks! I can afford them - what would you recommend for great performance (ride comfort is not an issue) with the small drop that I'm looking for?
Old 01-24-2005, 07:44 PM
memoryFAB.com representative

Tokico blues are good for something 1.5" and less or KYBs would be a little better

for anything more look into Koni Yellows or Tokico illuminas
Old 01-24-2005, 07:49 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Aphelion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Thanks! I can afford them - what would you recommend for great performance (ride comfort is not an issue) with the small drop that I'm looking for?</TD></TR></TABLE>
The only off-the-shelf "street" dampers I will use on my cars are Koni Sports. They're pricey, but you get what you pay for.

I am running them currently at a conservative ride height with Ground Control sleeves and 500f/600r spring rates on my CRX track car. Might have them revalved to Koni SPSS-3 spec and have the fronts shortened some time in the future. Also looking into the Ground Control upper mounts for some extra travel.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll add my .02 and say that get what your wallet will let you...level 1 entry shocks would be either Tokico "blues" or KYB GR-2s (silver), next level would be 5-way adjustable shocks: Tokico Illuminas (white), or KYB AGX (red), or Koni (yellow) which Ground Control makes a specific coilover that is meant to be seated on Koni's. Basically adjustable shocks are more expensive than regular shocks, because of course, they do more. Go browse websites and ebay for shocks, and read up and do the comparison for yourself...it always comes down to preference when deciding on brands of shocks...and sworn testimonials of the people who have them hehe!
Old 01-24-2005, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Member: Hi + Question on coilovers. (DjGuamstyles)

I have Tokico blues (2nd pair) and Ground Control coilovers with around a 2"+ drop. I think it rides great. Any time you lower a car, it will never ride perfect...but I think the setup I have is pretty comfortable.

my dad rode with me a long time ago and hates the stuff I do to my car, but he actually complimented the ride.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:11 PM
As long as I dont have to take out any more Metal Gears

Default Re: New Member: Hi + Question on coilovers. (DjGuamstyles)

if u just want the look and fashion of having a dropped car and u plan just to drop it 1.5 inch, who cares and get the GC coils over stock shocks. If u want driving performance get the shocks as well. Depending on the future plans of ur car, like autocross or whatever, that should be the guide of what parts to lean towards. Don't waste ur money and buy parts u can afford at this certain time. Don't worry about trial and error either, people on this site have done it all, its just a matter of searching, and learning from others experiences!
Old 01-24-2005, 08:34 PM

Default Re: New Member: Hi + Question on coilovers. (rukawa1one)

Thank you all for all the input! I really appreciate it - ordering now