Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New Member / 99 Civic DX coupe - mod plans

Old 06-08-2011, 03:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member / 99 Civic DX coupe - mod plans

Hey everyone!! Im new to Honda-Tech (actually this is my first forum) so i thought i would introduce myself and my car.

My name is Eric and i recently bought my 2nd Honda. It is a '99 civic dx coupe (5 speed) with 180k miles and running strong. It is completely stock but i will be upgrading the suspension soon.

My first Honda was a '99 civic lx (auto) and i absolutely loved it. But one day it decided it wanted to fight a tree... it lost.. But it was a great car so i bought another civic.

Future Mods:
Buddy Club N+ coilovers
16x7 wheels w/ bridgestone potenza sport tires (undecided on wheel brand)
Rear disc brake conversion
Sparco Evo seat (bought the seat used and will be installing it soon)
Apexi WS2 exhaust

just to name off a few things. Let me know what u think or if you have any suggestions! I appreciate it! Im happy to be a new member of Honda-Tech
Old 06-08-2011, 04:52 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: New Member

Welcome to the forum. I advise you do be very diligent in doing homework on every part you buy for a car. I've learned the hard way how much of a mistake it is to buy fake/cheap/knockoff parts. Saving for a few more weeks to buy the legitimate equivalent is so much more worth it. You'll achieve a deeper sense of accomplishment with the car.

That said, nothing terribly wrong with fake wheels. I'd honestly stick to konig/rota wheels but don't get some elaborate finish, they tend to wear. Black, white, etc is fine.

Also I would advise against the buddy club suspension. They make quality high end race coilovers, but the N+ isn't all that great. For the same price you could get koni srt/Ground control, or Progress CS-II. Or wait and save for Koni/GC and get a lifetime warranty and arguably the best suspension for the money available for hondas.

A rear disc conversion is purely aesthetic unless you're tracking the car with some frequency.

Apexi WS2 is a fantastic exhaust, excellent choice. However it will be wasted unless you've got an engine that can actually benefit from it.

My best advice is again to be patient and dilligent in your research and product buying. There's over a decade of experience with many products that you're looking at. You can easily get solid opinions on many of the products you may be considering.

If you haven't considered doing autocross on the weekends I highly recommend it. It's the most fun I've ever had in a car, and aside from modding the car, it's very cheap. ~$33 for my local club events every 3rd weekend or so and you meet the nicest people around and have a great time learning how to drive properly around a racetrack.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

being a delivery driver in mine, i can honestly say the bridgestone potenza's have been the best tire on the civic yet, they give me great all around traction and the best wet/snow traction ive ever had on the car.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you can afford it go with F&F type 1's for your suspension. Best decision I ever made with my civic plus there height adjustable so u can go real low if u want
Old 06-08-2011, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Member / 99 Civic DX coupe - mod plans

Thanks for the suggestions! I appreciate it!

I might end up going with Koni/GC. My friend has this setup on his accord and ive heard nothing but good things about Koni/GC.

My car is a daily driver, but i would like to track it on occasion also. So do u think a set of rotas will be fine? Or should i save up a little longer and get a set of Enkei rpf1?

Eventually, i will be swaping the engine. But not for some time. So i know the apexi exhaust will only make my car sound better. But i like to hear my engine when i drive and it looks great in my opinion. So to me its money well spent.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

modding a honda is a not cheap what u start u cant stop... but we all love it
Old 06-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Rota's are fine, ( can't believe I said that) BUT, having a few set of wheels isn't horrible. Daily something, and track the other. This is so if you have a accident on the track and loose a wheel or 2 you wont be stuck. And you also wont be killing your only set of tires. Which add up VERY fast.

I personally like rpf1's a lot.

The best thing for you is seat time. Track the car the way it sits now, and go from there. Figure out what the car does good/bad, and what you want it to do for you.

Also, if you want to track it/ or spited street, look into adding sway bars.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pics!
Old 06-09-2011, 02:37 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TougeEJ6
My car is a daily driver, but i would like to track it on occasion also. So do u think a set of rotas will be fine? Or should i save up a little longer and get a set of Enkei rpf1?
Get the Rpf1s.

I thought I would just "occasionally track my car too." I attended the Solo Atlanta Novice school a few months back and I've been to every autocross race since.

It's amazing. President of the SoloAtlanata group rode with me last week and gave me some compliments, said he didn't see anything glaringly obvious. Said I just need more seat time and maybe stickier tires. He like the cars setup and thought it was perfect for learning. It's so much fun, and you meet the nicest people and get a really good tan.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:41 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Build a good handling car and worry about adding more power later.