Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New to me civic, burning oil but not smoking constantly out the pipe.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me civic, burning oil but not smoking constantly out the pipe.

2000 ex d16y8 5spd burning oil like crazy.
I don't think it's smoking constantly,and I see varying amounts of smoke at times.
smokes at start up, and under applying different throttle loads, and sometimes after backing outta it.
valve guides/oil rings/other?

Last edited by B16newb; 05-04-2017 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Read the posting rules after the fact. :/ lol
Old 05-04-2017, 08:07 PM
Trial User

Default Re: New to me civic, burning oil but not smoking constantly out the pipe.

probably valve seals. 99% of the time, i've seen hondas burn oil through valve seals. best way to find out is to do a leak down test.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: New to me civic, burning oil but not smoking constantly out the pipe.

Originally Posted by detectiveorange
probably valve seals. 99% of the time, i've seen hondas burn oil through valve seals. best way to find out is to do a leak down test.
+1. Symptoms fit valve seals leaking.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been skim reading, and like you both have keyed on its sounding like that's pretty likely my issue. Can they be changed out on car without head removal?
My pcv was completely clogged,and hose all but collapsed and clogged as well, upon inspection. Replaced both, but concerned the Lil box thingy may be too?
Old 05-05-2017, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm going to disagree and say it is likely the rings, when it smokes worse when you floor the gas and keeps smoking a lot the whole time you have it floored. Check the compression.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Mk, I'm gunna do a compression and leak down test after I get back from North Carolina to attend my sons Marine Corps MCT. The PCV valve and hose were in horrible shape, so I guess is possible the oil rings could be nasty.
I read on another thread about soaking the cylinders with some really potent stuff that could clean deep(gummed oil rings ), ( ME,KE,KL) or something they called it... said it was some wicked bad stuff that could combust with only air pressure,and would make a mess of any painted surface.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B16newb
I've been skim reading, and like you both have keyed on its sounding like that's pretty likely my issue. Can they be changed out on car without head removal?
My pcv was completely clogged,and hose all but collapsed and clogged as well, upon inspection. Replaced both, but concerned the Lil box thingy may be too?
If you don't know where the valve seals are, watch this video!

Old 05-05-2017, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you, agb. I'll watch it now.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pretty informational,and simplified. I'm gunna have my girlfriend watch this one, as she likes to spend time with me under the hood.
I'm more versed with small Chevy,and get around decent as far as tear downs, and reassembly, well except for measuring clearances etc in bottom end rebuilds.
Hondas are different animals, with the same premise.
haven't had it long, but in time I'll be familiarized with their differences.
thank u for adding.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no problem. that's what the forums are for! Its a great video to learn about our little honda engines
Old 05-05-2017, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here some additional reading: https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-mo...s-bad-2314064/
Google search valve stem seals or oil rings: https://www.google.com/#q=piston+rin...lve+stem+seals
Probably best way to differenciate is the amount of oil burn loss within a day/week/month. Bad ring(s) would/should be more constant and go through oil fairly quick. It's hard to disspute mk378 though as he is one (if not the) most knowledgeable people here. Also, check the PCV valve...it's located above the oil filter and easiest to remove when the oil filter is off..Once removed from crankcase grommet..shake it and listen for rattling. if it's not rattling it needs t obe replaced with OEM one. This is not the source of the oil burning but here are symptoms: https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/H...PCV-valve-test
Old 05-05-2017, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank ya,Jimi. I much appreciate all input from members that take off their time to offer help.
I change the pcv valve and hose shortly after I bought it. It was beyond clogged, and the hose as well clogged and collapsing to the lightest touch. I need to check that little box thing to see what kinda shape it's in internally...
I'm leaving Home (Kentucky)for North Carolina early Sunday, so I'll not be able to do much until mid week. I watched a couple videos and changing valve seals looks pretty straight forward and cheap,so I'm gunna go ahead and do em and see what happens.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

could be piston rings...