Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

new kid...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new kid...

hey i am new here, i am 15, haha ya i know da noob of drivin, but i am gonna turn 16 soon and i want to get a hatch, i just wanted to ask what do you guys think i should get like what model? any good places to look for one? all that stuff, well you can aim me or just post here, thx in advance ^^
Old 07-25-2005, 06:15 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: new kid... (paafecto)

Welcome to Honda-Tech, start by reading the rules and you'll be golden.

I would suggest you get a completey stock hatch and leave it that way for a while so you can get a good idea of how to be a safe drive. You can try your local classifieds for a hatchback.

Now, if you're getting a hatchback they come in several different models.. DX, CX, VX and Si, the Si has the biggest motor. While, the CX/VX don't have mouldings but the VX has a tach while the CX doesn't. The CX is the lightest of the 4 models.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:19 PM

Default Re: new kid... (JDM-EJ1)

Welcome noob. Follow the rules and read up on old posts. There is actually a wealth of knowledge on this site no matter what kind of motor or chasis you go with.....and if the members here don't know the answer then they will know where to send you to get it.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: new kid... (paafecto)

Previous post by JDM-EJ1 was good advice.

Take some time to drive and learn how to be safe, get to know your car, and get the feel of what you want from a car. You're in luck though, because Honda cars are a great place to start.

Best bet would be to buy a stock hatchback, and start learning how to perform some basic maintenance. Make sure you start learning how to take care of your car yourself, after all, knowledge is power. That will also help you understand what you will want to do to your car in the future, as well as save you money when it comes to more expensive maintainence.

Do this for a year or two, learning the way Hondas are designed and perfect your driving technique, as well as safety. That will make you a better driver in the end.

As far as models go, JDM-EJ1 has great advice. Have fun!

yoroshiku onegaishimasu.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:25 PM

Default Re: new kid... (unten_shitai_ne!)

Yes, basic maintenance is key. Modifying your car is fun, but it's even more rewarding when you do the work yourself. Read up on this site, it's the most complete Honda-Technical source I've ever found and I'm sure others feel that way too.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:27 PM
grammer nawzi

Default Re: new kid... (unten_shitai_ne!)

Patience young grasshopper. Get something that will get you around for a while, in a safe manner. Once you become accustomed to the car and get comfortable driving, then start the upgrades. Don't be one of those asses that total their car going around a corner. Respect the road, and WELCOME TO HONDA-TECH.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new kid... (JDM-EJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Welcome to Honda-Tech, start by reading the rules and you'll be golden.

I would suggest you get a completey stock hatch and leave it that way for a while so you can get a good idea of how to be a safe drive. You can try your local classifieds for a hatchback.

Now, if you're getting a hatchback they come in several different models.. DX, CX, VX and Si, the Si has the biggest motor. While, the CX/VX don't have mouldings but the VX has a tach while the CX doesn't. The CX is the lightest of the 4 models.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Also not mentioned, there are three body styles for different years. For instance:

EF: 88-91 (hatch, crx, 4dr)
EG: 92-95 (hatch, coupe, 4dr)
EK: 96- up? (hatch, coupe, 4dr)

EF: Not too scarce but sometimes hard to find in good condition, usually rust takes a toll before anything else (depends a lot on location).

EG: The best looking Civic IMO. A little bit more pricey than the EF unless in same or worse cosmetic condition. First thing to look for is rust in the rear 1/4's, your lucky if you find none and live in an area with salt in the winter at the same time.

EK: Also a good looking civic with a little more updated styling both interior and exterior wise. Aren't hard to come by in good condition, I see a lot of older people or college students driving them so they aren't too beat on most of the time. Unless you get a H-Ter sportin one lol
Old 07-25-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Re: new kid... (sicky)

where do you live? caz in the va area, there is a sick phantom grey hatch cheap!!! in good condition, might want to check it out, and welcome to ht, GREAT PLACE, learn more everyday
Old 07-25-2005, 06:31 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: new kid... (LSEGHATCH)

Do you have any cute high school friends?
Old 07-25-2005, 06:37 PM

wow thx for the quick feed back! and yes i would for sure get one that is complete stock, as for model, not sure, i was looking at some si's and like them, i guess now what i should ask would be later on when i am used to the car and am ready to do some modding, what do you think i should upgrade, i know it is really up to me, but just wondering if there is a smart start ^^ i will proubley go for a si if i can find one for a good price, could someone post like a pic of each model so i can see the diffrences, i know that is alot to ask of, thx all, o and i like in WA^^
chat with me on aim anyone who wants to teach me^^: xcodyx10
Old 07-25-2005, 06:41 PM

Default Re: (paafecto)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by paafecto &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow thx for the quick feed back! and yes i would for sure get one that is complete stock, as for model, not sure, i was looking at some si's and like them, i guess now what i should ask would be later on when i am used to the car and am ready to do some modding, what do you think i should upgrade, i know it is really up to me, but just wondering if there is a smart start ^^ i will proubley go for a si if i can find one for a good price, could someone post like a pic of each model so i can see the diffrences, i know that is alot to ask of, thx all, o and i like in WA^^</TD></TR></TABLE>

All hatchnacks look exactly the same except for the VX/CX has no moldings, the Si has a sun roof and the DX has looks the same as the Si but without painted trim and no sin roof.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:42 PM
Electrician

You might want to get something that is slow and stock. Learn to drive, get a few years of experience of driving on the road, then upgrade. There is nothing worse than a 16-year old with a semi-quick car, trying to be a racer and kill themselves or other people.

Welcome to H-T. Only advice I will want you to listen to is to search. There is nothing more important on H-T than searching.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:45 PM

lol i am not going to be a racer deemeetree i am just a kid lol! ^^ thx for the advise though.
-jdm- ok lol, then mabey a DX would be better, what is the price difference? thx again!
and just aim me people lol sn:xcodyx10
Old 07-25-2005, 06:48 PM

The funny thing is, most 16 year old kids want to race and go down that track.. In either case, the Si are more spendy due to the engine and what not. In my area, you can't find a decent Honda for under $5000.

I would search your local classifieds and see what the average price for one is.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to H-T.

Well, heres my story about buying my hatch... BTW EG's are best for speed IMO ;P I am just about to turn 17 and let me say that i am NOT one of your typical "racer teen". I have only had my car past 100 2 times and those werent races. Never raced in my life. Anyways on to the story...

When i turned 16 i inherited the family hoop-D as most teens in my area do. i drove it around for a while and got a decent paying job ($5.50/hr.)LOL... and saved up enough to begin to shop for one. Just BE PATIENT! I ended up getting my hatch from Destin, Fla.(orig. from Mass.). got it for 2300. It does have a rust prob in the typical area, but get this... only 60,000 miles! It was a killer steal. its a DX model w/o a tach and needs a new fender. since then i have dumped about 4 G's in it including full catback, lowering, and alot of CF. along with a whole host of DIY mods. These cars are super fun and simple, too.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:07 PM

-jdm-ya i know alot of 16-17 year olds who do stupid stuff to there cars.... but ya a si is proubley to much and what do you mean look in my local classifieds? well i know what you mean pretty muc hbut where can i look, online? lol srry
Old 07-25-2005, 07:08 PM

Autotrader.com
Old 07-25-2005, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, heres my story about buying my hatch... BTW EG's are best for speed IMO ;P I am just about to turn 17 and let me say that i am NOT one of your typical "racer teen". I have only had my car past 100 2 times and those werent races. Never raced in my life. Anyways on to the story...

when i turned 16 i inherited the family hoop-D as most teens in my area do. i drove it around for a while and got a decent paying job ($5.50/hr.)LOL... and saved up enough to begin to shop for one. Just BE PATIENT! I ended up getting my hatch from Destin, Fla.(orig. from Mass.). got it for 2300. It does have a rust prob in the typical area, but get this... only 60,000 miles! It was a killer steal. its a DX model w/o a tach and needs a new fender. since then i have dumped about 4 G's in it including full catback, lowering, and alot of CF. along with a whole host of DIY mods. These cars are super fun and simple, too.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:11 PM

o ya autotrader, but i looked on there could not really find any hatches, and a DX would proubley be my best bet huh, but help with the auto trader prob would be good, if you could find me some thx...
Old 07-25-2005, 07:13 PM

Other than autotrader.com I would try looking in your local newspaper. You can also try craigslist.com.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM-EJ1)

Sometimes you might just save some money and look around town for nice EGs. Unbelievably enough, there's a lot old people who drive these cars And some are 5-speed too. I got my old EF not from the paper or autotrader but from an old guy who had one sitting at the sun all day for months. I offered him 15 and he took them. Day after I took my new car home. I was barely 16. Good times (until it started to break down... )
Old 07-25-2005, 07:25 PM

Default Re: (fast88std)

Exactly, look around for a good deal. They're definitely out there.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:27 PM

Default Re: (JDM-EJ1)

dx, no rear discs like the si, look in the ht classifieds, and also if you go to your local gas-station, they usually have a classified for cars in there for like $1, and autotrader is good
Old 07-25-2005, 07:54 PM

Default Re: (young noob)

I got my EK hatch from some old lady who had it sittin in her driveway, without even a for sale ad or sign. $7500 with 36,000 miles on it, 5-speed great cond.--- Moral- If you see one you like around town or in a parking lot just leave a note on it and you might get lucky.