Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

new issues...cam adjust solenoid?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 new issues...cam adjust solenoid?

As many of you remember I have a 2000 honda civic lx 90k miles, auto trans( which i just got fixed last week)

SO. I had a mystery wires/sensor/solenoid problem which i took to 3 mechanics and each said the piece was something different which wasn't even the right piece..go figure.
With a little help from GOOGLE I found the exact thing I am looking at under my hood "cam adjust solenoid"

NOW when I look up that part its coming up as only fitting the EX and SI ..I have a LX?

Anyways I attached a picture of it from the parts website, my part isnt actually bad but I am missing whatever connects to the green part. Have no clue what it is and nobody else does either so a little help identifyng whats going on here.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:35 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: new issues...cam adjust solenoid?

That's a VTEC solenoid. What are the first 6 digits of your VIN, and exactly what engine is in your car? If you don't know on the engine, there's a small (roughly 3"x3") flat spot on the front left, right where the transmission bolts to the engine. It should have a letter, two numbers, a letter, and another number stamped on it right there. If you can't see anything, clean it off with a rag and some degreaser. It should either be D16Y7, or D16Y8. Which is it?
Old 09-28-2014, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it does say 16y5????????????? there is a vin on the engine and it does match my vin

heres a few pictures from under the hood at what im looking at

Last edited by larudy; 09-28-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any ideas what is supposed to be plugged into that grey part and the other thing with the green wire im so stumped
Old 09-28-2014, 05:07 PM

And the first six of your VIN are 1HGEJ7, correct? Yes, the D16Y5 is supposed to have VTEC.

Your wiring harness should have two plugs for those two plugs. One is the VTEC solenoid switch (lets the ECU turn it on and off), and the other is the oil pressure switch (makes sure there's enough oil pressure before turning it on and off).
Old 09-28-2014, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nope the first 6 of the vin is jhmej6.... so whats going on here
Old 09-28-2014, 05:26 PM

So you have a swapped or Frankenstein'ed engine, or you're reading something incorrectly. If the VIN stamp on the engine is JHMEJ6, then the engine is a D16Y7, but you said it says D16Y5 on it, which doesn't make sense. Either someone swapped the VIN plate on the engine (highly illegal), or they restamped the block code, which...I'm not sure if that's even possible, let alone feasible. There's also the possibility that you read something wrong. Either way, though, that is NOT a D16Y7 head.

Find your ECU, and give us the code stamp on it. The ECU will (or rather, should) be behind the passenger side outer kick panel. There will be four plugs going into it. On one of the flat sides, there should be a sticker with a bunch of letters and numbers, and you should find something similar to P2P-xxx, or P2E-xxx. Find that sticker, and tell us what it says on it.

The fact that you have an automatic makes this even more of a possible clusterfuck, but we'll get to that in a bit.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think the paisa i bought the car probably switched the vin plate on the engine (a little green strip plate that has the vin at the front of the engine right?) because Im triple checking and it is d16y5 on the actual block, my vin comes up my honda is a LX but if google is correct thats a HX engine? Which in that case probably explains why a lot under the hood is like ghetto rigged. I also have a code for the catalytic converter which is on the manifold, is that a feature of the lx or hx?
Old 09-28-2014, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

*excuse the dirtiness i just bought the car two weeks ago and am going to fix it up*

Old 09-28-2014, 05:47 PM

The front-mounted cat is a "feature" of both.

So basically, the previous owner made a federally illegal modification to the car before selling it to you, and now you're stuck picking up the pieces. First off, your wiring harness (assuming it's an LX harness), won't have the plugs for the VTEC solenoid. Second off, depending on your ECU (look for that sticker I mentioned, and give us the code when you get the chance), even if you had the wiring, the ECU probably wouldn't have any clue what to do with it. Third off, even if you did get the correct ECU, and even if you did wire it properly, the HX has a 5MT or CVT for transmission options - no regular 4AT option, so the correct ECU would have no idea what to do with the transmission, and the car would run like absolute ****. Basically, unless your CEL is on for the VTEC solenoid, don't worry about it. Just let it sit there, unplugged, doing nothing. If your CEL is on for the VTEC solenoid...if you aren't emotionally attached to it, get rid of that car ASAP. If you are emotionally attached to it, get ready for a shitload of work, and a shitload of hunting down parts. If you want to do the work, say the word, and we can tell you what you'll need, but you probably won't like it. Hint: Say goodbye to that automatic.

...If you're in California, though, just get rid of it. That thing is a rolling charge if a cop pops the hood, or you get a Honda-smart tech at CARB/BAR time.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well im getting the CEL for just cat converter and a fuel sensor, ill probably just throw a new engine in this POS since i just got the trans fixed last week(LOL) how bout it.
thanks for your help, the only other issues i was having is a little bit rough idle but im pretty sure its cause the cat is out.
My car is the child of a Chicago Chop Shop
still got so much work
Old 09-28-2014, 07:38 PM

Yeah...with that VIN swapping nonsense, that's classic chop shop. Congratulations on buying a car made of stolen parts, I guess? Personally, I'd be throwing a bitchfit and possibly having a conversation with the cops...

A fuel sensor CEL is more likely to cause an idle issue than a cat CEL, but that's neither here nor there. The proper engine for your car, a D16Y7, can be found for cheap. Like, $300 or less in good running condition cheap. It's good for gas mileage and reliability, but a pretty crappy engine as far as performance goes, and performance capabilities seem to drive prices more than anything when it comes to 92-00 Civic parts. Also, putting the proper engine in your car would eliminate that pesky federal problem of the illegally swapped VIN plate. Also also, do yourself a favor and ONLY consider a D16Y7. Since you have an automatic (and I assume you want to keep it that way, at least for now), long story short, any other motor won't run properly with your ECU. If you want the long version, just ask, but I don't want to type it all out and then have you tl;dr it.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea I also posted an ad to sell it as well to see if anyone bites you know I only paid 1k for it and it has 90k on the odometer so ill drive it to and from work for now and we will see where the wind takes me and my frankenhonda