Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New to installing lip (Drilling question)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to installing lip (Drilling question)

I searched and couldn't come up with the answer.
I have a power drill that I want to use to install my replica type r lip. The thing is I don't know how to do it. Am I suppose to buy a drill bit and pre drill the holes then put the screws in? Or do I use a drill bit where I can attach the screw to the drill bit and use the screw to drill it in?
Old 10-05-2004, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New to installing lip (Eg_Egg)

Pre-drill the holes , but use a screwdriver or ratchet with a screwdriver bit to tighten the screws. That ****'s too soft for a power driver in my opinion. you could strip the holes instantly. Here's some more tips for anybody needing them....

Fit the lip first by centering it and doing the neccesary mounting operations for the middle section of the lip. Most have some threaded clips that slide over existing holes in your bumper cover. You'll have to mount the reinforcements/brackets to the lip that will line up with those clips. Test fit the lip carefully to make sure it is centered with the ends having the same length to wrap around the bumper sides/wheelwells! Use a sharp awl, or dart, nail or something to mark where these will be. Drill the holes where you made the indentions but use a drill bit a little smaller than the screws you will use to attach the mounting brackets with. Attach the center mounting brackets and bolt up your lip in the center. Now is when you realize how shitty the fit is and think it will never f@cking work. I had to carefully remove material with a Dremel like a f@cking dentist for about 1.5 hours to get mine perfect. I hope you don't have the same experience 'cuz I ain't about to detail that **** too. Anyway, if you have enough length to wrap the corners around the wheelwells, have your drill ready with the proper bit again and position the end of the lip at the right height. Drill through the lip and the edge of the bumper cover under it (it will be easier if you remove your tire) at the same time and your holes will be perfectly aligned. I used some of those big-*** screws that hold on splash guards (one on each side) to secure the ends of my lip instead of the two (small) per side they supplied. I think it looks clean with just one on the lip end instead of two and it will let the lip pivot slightly if need be instead of cracking upon stress.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to installing lip (Eg_Egg)

predrill, then srew in with screwdriver or with extra help from drill. Be cautious not to overtighten cause it could crake it. You should be fine tho

Good advice given above...so ya go with what he said.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

awesome im about to get a lip and woulda had the same question, good info
Old 10-05-2004, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (turbotime)

I forgot to mention heat, which I was reminded of by Newman, who I say is a good guy. And heat is about to become pretty scarce in some areas. I put mine in a car in the Texas sun and it was like an oven. A strong hair drier or heat gun will make it more pliable, but watch out for the corners where it wraps around the bumper ends. Don't force it! That crease is a weak area. I relieved that area with the Dremel to reduce the stress risers. If it won't reach around, remove material from the top inside edge of the lip where it meets the bumper cover to let it sit further back