Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Manifold or headers? Advice sought.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2023, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manifold or headers? Advice sought.

Team Honda-tech: I'm back to drink from the well of knowledge again!

My '93 del Sol Si (5-speed manual) has a cracked exhaust manifold. It isn't affecting performance, but makes a bit of noise and will surely cause me to fail California smog check if the technician notices it during the biennial inspection. So, I'd prefer to repair it without a ticking clock. I'm trying to keep this aging-and-nearly-classic car as my daily driver and am not trying to increase power (although I wouldn't object to any improvements which don't cost me mileage or create regulatory obstacles). I have daughters and a nephew who each hope to have this car after me someday.

My search for a basic replacement cast-iron manifold has yielded little. Every manifold I can find, upon close inspection of images, is the same manufacturer (Dorman?) even when marketed under different brand names (e.g. ATP Pioneer). Reviews cite poor quality control and poor matching of port dimensions (although the interfaces seem to almost always fit together well for a decent install). I usually prefer to purchase an upgraded part rather than the bargain model, but I can't find anything but this bargain model (~$100-$200, depending upon seller).

So, I'm considering upgrading to welded tube type headers. They seem to be only a bit more expensive (~$200-$400). I am not savvy about selecting an appropriate model, and resort to merely trusting "this matches your car" algorithms. I do need to remain California emissions compliant (try to select a replacement fuel pump on Amazon and have it shipped to California, and you'll see what a headache that can be). I seem to have only one O2 sensor attached near the bottom of the four tube section.

Got advice? Should I stick with a cast-iron manifold or go for tubular headers? Will the loss of heat shielding with tubular headers cause me any troubles? Are there any California emissions pitfalls I should avoid? Have you any recommendations of parts or suppliers I should investigate?

Thanks!

Ken
Old 10-30-2023, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Re: Manifold or headers? Advice sought.

Originally Posted by Mr. Ken
Team Honda-tech: I'm back to drink from the well of knowledge again!

My '93 del Sol Si (5-speed manual) has a cracked exhaust manifold. It isn't affecting performance, but makes a bit of noise and will surely cause me to fail California smog check if the technician notices it during the biennial inspection. So, I'd prefer to repair it without a ticking clock. I'm trying to keep this aging-and-nearly-classic car as my daily driver and am not trying to increase power (although I wouldn't object to any improvements which don't cost me mileage or create regulatory obstacles). I have daughters and a nephew who each hope to have this car after me someday.

My search for a basic replacement cast-iron manifold has yielded little. Every manifold I can find, upon close inspection of images, is the same manufacturer (Dorman?) even when marketed under different brand names (e.g. ATP Pioneer). Reviews cite poor quality control and poor matching of port dimensions (although the interfaces seem to almost always fit together well for a decent install). I usually prefer to purchase an upgraded part rather than the bargain model, but I can't find anything but this bargain model (~$100-$200, depending upon seller).

So, I'm considering upgrading to welded tube type headers. They seem to be only a bit more expensive (~$200-$400). I am not savvy about selecting an appropriate model, and resort to merely trusting "this matches your car" algorithms. I do need to remain California emissions compliant (try to select a replacement fuel pump on Amazon and have it shipped to California, and you'll see what a headache that can be). I seem to have only one O2 sensor attached near the bottom of the four tube section.

Got advice? Should I stick with a cast-iron manifold or go for tubular headers? Will the loss of heat shielding with tubular headers cause me any troubles? Are there any California emissions pitfalls I should avoid? Have you any recommendations of parts or suppliers I should investigate?
Thanks!

Ken
Me? I woudl keep looking for a stock manifold. There is one out there, just have to look for it
Old 10-31-2023, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 69 Posts

Why not just keep your current manifold.. Drill a hole at each end of the crack, grind into crack about 3/4 of the material thickness using something like a small zip disc in a dremmel and then just have it welded? Should hold up and save you a bunch, also no problems with your smog laws..
The following users liked this post:
Old 11-01-2023, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 615 Likes on 487 Posts

DC Sports still sells a CARB-legal header for 92-00 D16Z6/Y8 engines. This is about the only smoggable option you have for a header. The caveat with a header is that, even on an otherwise stock setup, they don't put enough heat into the exhaust to properly light off the catalyst and you end up failing tailpipe. I doubt this will be an issue with the D16, but it is a known issue with the B18C5s (Integra Type R) that came off the boat on the ragged edge of being able to pass in the first place.

Next best bet would be to hit the pick & pull yards to find a manifold & A-pipe from the same engine. Usually I can find at least a couple of 96+ Civic EXs laying around at my local-ish one.
Old 11-02-2023, 12:00 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Man I threw away my OEM D16Z6 manifold one week ago...bummer, I could have sold it to you for the cost of shipping. I'd go with spAdam's advice and get a CARB legal header.
Old 11-02-2023, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 615 Likes on 487 Posts

I had one kicking around at my parents’ for yeaaars too. I’m sure it’s finally gone somewhere.
DaX
Old 11-02-2023, 12:51 PM
Premium Member

Received 189 Likes on 164 Posts

What engine?
I have my B18C1 exhaust manifold and pipe sitting here, but I don't think that will work for you. Maybe if you are B16? IDK.
Old 11-02-2023, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to my VIN, I have a D16Z6 engine.

Thanks for the ideas! Links to sources are especially helpful to me.

Ken
Old 11-03-2023, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 178 Likes on 151 Posts

www.picknpull.com