Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New to imports

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to imports

I thinking of buying a Del Sol that has a b18b in it. Im very new to Honda so I don't know very much just yet. Its a vtec motor set up with 11.5 to one compression pistons and skunk 2 cams. Thats about all I know but a couple people have told me that it should be making around 220 horses with that he has done to it. Is this right? Also, I'm curious as it what kind of gas mileage I will get out of this, driven with a light foot. Forgive my ignorance, I've never been into Hondas but I'm curious so I'm trying to get as much information as I can before I just run out and buy this thing. He is putting the motor together right now so I don't have any information on it running. I know I'm about to get flogged but I've been into pushrod domestics since I was a kid. Just wanting to see what the other side is like, and do something my brothers aren't doing. Any other added info is appreciated.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to imports

Since your new to the game welcome, and secondly, a B18b is not a vtec motor unless he is putting a vtec head on it. Also try and find out what internals he is using for the motor because a stock lsvtec will not make 220 whp.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if theirs skunk2 cams then its gotta have a vtec head on it, bc they dont make cams for non-vtec motors, and since your new to these cars all ive gotta say is good luck and try and keep your sanity because youve gotta lot to learn so perhaps you should take baby steps with a lsvtec motor since you dont know how to keep a honda motor build like this reliable just baby it around town a untill you start to catch on and getta feel for the car, but its gonna be alot of fun, and so welcome to the honda family
Old 05-07-2010, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It has a little head work done to it and I'm not sure what internals are in it other then the 11.5 pistons but its built up not stock. And what do you mean how to keep a honda motor reliable? I'm here to pick up as much information as I can so please, enlighten me. I want to know what I'm getting into before I buy this thing. And what is an lsvtec? And does anyone have any idea on the gas mileage?
Old 05-07-2010, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you will get great mpg with that setup. a ls/vtec is when you take a normal ls engine and put a vtec head on it, they are great because they have great low end torque from the ls and have high end power from the vtec head.

They are great setups if they have not been bagged to hell and by the sounds of it this motor is fresh so thats great.

personally this sounds like a great starter honda IMO. How much is he asking if you dont mind sharing?

This will be the best choice you have ever made... making power in hondas way cooler then V8 domestic garbage. I love getting 30mpg and still havin some power to play with.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^ I think he meant the high torque from the LS, not low. Although, if you're a domestic guy, 140 probably isn't high torque to you. That sounds like a fun car. Do you know if the guy is good at building engines? Lsvtecs aren't reliable if they aren't built well.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya I ment good low end torque.... sorry.... point is that it has great torque
Old 05-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by D Griff
Lsvtecs aren't reliable if they aren't built well.

thats true....
Old 05-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a lot of things are not reliable if there not built well.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by azandford
a lot of things are not reliable if there not built well.
even more true... this is the truest thread ever.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

He's built a turbo motor thats lasted him a couple years so he knows what he's doing. It makes something around 350 horses and its holding up just fine. Yeah, 140 is nothing to me lol but in a light car its nothing to scoff at. My stock mustang made 270 foot pounds, before all my mods to it. He is asking $4000 for the car, motor is new with 10k on it. Car is in good shape to, lowered with a nice set of rims. And as for your comment about domestic V8s being garbage, I really don't see any 4 cylinders in pro stock drags or top fuel for that mater. In the end, V8s will always win. I'm just being opened minded here and this sounds like a good way to have a fun and fuel efficient car thats going to smoke a few muscle cars.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

theirs a single cam pushing 1600hp running 7's, it was running in the nopi pro fwd series, bisi has a 500hp all motor drag car running 8-9's which is the fastest all motor period (just ask him)(and its a single cam) and the fastest all motor fwd car period, and my stock 126hp b20b with my little gsr trans and act clutch with a factory flywheel run with ws6 trans ams and supercharged gt stangs are too slow, and vettes are fun to play with untill i get serious and then beat them so now you know what a stock wittle 4 banger can do enjoy that built motor outruning just about anything, and having a fully built motor and keeping it reliable can be a challange if your new to "honda's" other wise people likes tha awesome guys that having been helping you here know what it takes to take care of that kind of motor and would be easy to take care of
Old 05-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha, lets keep our opinions to ourselves. But when it comes to it, V8s are the fastest and you can't argue it. Whats it take to keep a honda motor reliable? Theres no valve adjustment, theres no carb to tune, as far as I know you can't play with the timing. So what should I know? Links are fine. What kind of gas mileage do you guys get from a built honda?
Old 05-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah thats why i slapped a big *** turbo to my supra and cranked up the boost and out run the vettes for a 3 mile race v8's arent the fastest bc guys in cali prooved in the early 90's out running v8's at THEIR OWN GAME oh and now that i think about it i dont think i had to tune it at all? hmm odd, and their is tuning envolved in building v8's theirs tuning envolved no matter what motor you build for lots of insane power, old or new so i can argue it bc ive lived my life around the 1320 and the apex, btw built motors dont just come with a certain number for mpg but maby ill chill a bit and answer you with you can get around 15 to 30mpg depends if you wanna sit in vtec every where you go or not
Old 05-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A built engine will be reliable as long as the internals are quality and are installed properly. Also get the engine tuned(either street or dyno or preferably both). As long as you take care of it like oil changes, trans fluid change, coolant flush, tune ups ect on a timely/mileage based manner you will be fine.
Glad to see a v8 guy coming over to the other side. I always wanted a built up v8 when I was a kid but bought my first honda at 16 and have been hooked bc of how simple the layout is and the underratedness of it. Post pics of whatever you end up buying.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

God you guys attack someone for expressing their opinion a lot. All I did was state a fact: The fastest cars in the world have 8 cylinders and make in the neighborhood of 8000 horsepower. You should chill a bit and just answer my questions. Not saying that your 4 cylinders aren't fast. Just saying that when it comes down to it, they're not the fastest.

I'm trying Honda out for the simplicity also. I started out looking for just a reliable little sports car that got good gas mileage and this Del Sol popped up and I figured, why the hell not? Try something new and be a little different from the rest of the family for once. If I can hang with them in the quarter, thats awesome. If I beat them, even better. But I know I'll beat them in the corners and thats what I really have fun with. And I'll pass them at the pump for sure
Old 05-08-2010, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im telling you right here and now the fastest cars in the world do not have v8's, your trying to state a opinion into a fact and its not true, the fact matters on how the motor is desighed so how bout you explain to me how a F20C makes more power per litre then a ferrari's v8? and since you dont know what a F20C is im gonna tell you, its a 4 BANGER! for the honda S2000, a little 2 litre making that kind of power reving at 9k all day long, and 8000hp well im not saying they dont exsist but i dout it, the most powerful v8 in the world street driven is only pushing 2500hp twin turbo and fully built and runs 6's, i see factory gsr's, B20B's and b18c type r's run down big supercharged v8's all night long, now do we have anymore comments about wittle v8's? if not id like to move on with the ques you have about a "honda" if thats ok with you? and btw no matter how much power a v8 will make and how fast it is, if we wanna out run it bad enough "we will" and as always with less power meaning less work
Old 05-08-2010, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hokay. thats great but id imagine a v10 or v12 would be faster then v8s. so hah.

for your questions. jump on this car. del sols are really fun...but quite noisy.
mpg who knows its how you drive.

there are valves that need to be adjusted, no more carbs anymore...mpfi is way better anyways, and you can mess with timing but id let the tuner deal with that. its like a normal motor but checked more often.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Red_Army
hokay. thats great but id imagine a v10 or v12 would be faster then v8s. so hah.

for your questions. jump on this car. del sols are really fun...but quite noisy.
mpg who knows its how you drive.

there are valves that need to be adjusted, no more carbs anymore...mpfi is way better anyways, and you can mess with timing but id let the tuner deal with that. its like a normal motor but checked more often.
yeah haha dont we all know about a bugatti with a W16 quad turbo pushing 1000hp and named the fastest car of all time? ha
Old 05-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have two words for you. TOP FUEL you arrogant bastard. THAT is what Im talking about
Old 05-08-2010, 04:07 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Dyne79
I have two words for you. TOP FUEL you arrogant bastard. THAT is what Im talking about
if your so high on v8's, dont buy a honda and get off this forum.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its not called arrogants when i know what im talking about, and i have 2 words for you... F*** YOU and yes you should'nt buy a honda you should stay in the loseres circle with your v8's, since we know the IQ level involved perhaps you should just sit in the dirt and play with a stick
Old 05-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Jesus christ I knew there was a reason I hated you ricer *** ****ers
Old 05-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah! F**k Honda's! That's the whole reason I troll this HONDA-TECH site that is all about HONDAS and NOT V8's! I practically live my entire life just to make stupid *** comments with not a single thread of reasoning behind them! Reading your comments makes me feel like I know you!

You know what?

...I love you.

The only thing I don't agree with you on is Top Fuel. People like me and you both know, the best thing to do with alcohol is drink it! Not put it in dragsters! If nascar is on and my cousins are over it's even better! (I'm sure you are quite familiar with what me and my cousins do in the back room, you definitely don't sound new to THAT game)..

Haha wow dude but seriously, gtfo if all you're going to do is talk about how much you hate us "ricers". If you seriously want our help, pull your head out of your *** (it might be hard since it's so far up there) and lose the attitude.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hahahaha you suck, go back to your "Garbage" V8's you piece of crap, you don't deserve a honda.

Quick Reply: New to imports