Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New to Import Tuning World and has questions

Old 08-21-2007, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Import Tuning World and has questions

I actually used to be a domestic project car guy, My best friend is into imports, well i been helping him work on his car (DSM) and have gotten very interested i this sport. So just recently purchased at 95, civic coupe, 5-speed. Heard that the "frankenstein" motor was the way to go, I had some money left over and did some research online but still have a few questions. I have already purchased a b20b for a future turbo setup (8.8:1). Now here are my questions;

1. What is the best VTEC head to use for this kind of set up? Most of the forums/articles just say which ones you can use, not the difference between them.

2. What is the best transmission to use for this set up?

3. What ECU would be best recommend / Aftermarket tuning devices?

I'm sure all these questions have been answered before. Again thanks for your help.

Thanks
Pax
Old 08-21-2007, 11:46 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: New to Import Tuning World and has questions (Paxter)

1.) D16Z6 with a D16Y8 intake manifold

2.) D16Z6 or D16Y8. They have the same gearing but the Y8 transmission has steel shift forks.

3.) P28 chipped with Crome or Hondata and tuned by a reputable shop.

This will be a fun little motor, but it's not going to beat any Mustangs. Also, if you simply use the entire D16Z6 motor, you can turbocharge that and get better results than you will from the B20B. Feel free to browse the FI forum for SOHC turbo builds to see what you can do

Welcome.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:49 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Paxter &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
1. What is the best VTEC head to use for this kind of set up? Most of the forums/articles just say which ones you can use, not the difference between them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

There isn't a huge difference between a b16/itr head and a gsr head - the b16 flows a little better than a gsr on a flowbench; and an itr/ctr is just a factory-polished b16. The biggest difference is going to be combustion chamber volumes.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
</TD></TR></TABLE>

GSR trans, probably. ITR/b16 trans is way short, too short for a tourquey crvtec; LS is waaay long, made more for economy than anything. GSR is a nice midpoint.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
3. What ECU would be best recommend / Aftermarket tuning devices?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Any OBD1 ECU can be remapped to be suitable for your motor, look at pgm-fi.org.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Paxter &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I actually used to be a domestic project car guy, My best friend is into imports, well i been helping him work on his car (DSM) and have gotten very interested i this sport. So just recently purchased at 95, civic coupe, 5-speed. Heard that the "frankenstein" motor was the way to go, I had some money left over and did some research online but still have a few questions. I have already purchased a b20b for a future turbo setup (8.8:1). </TD></TR></TABLE>

i don't know if the "frankenstein" motor is the way to go. i would say, what goals do you want to accomplish. are you looking to go NA or FI? what HP out put do you want to hit? and how fat is your wallet?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Paxter &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
1. What is the best VTEC head to use for this kind of set up? Most of the forums/articles just say which ones you can use, not the difference between them.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i can't really tell you the exact differences between the 2, but i do know the B16 head would be alittle better, due to how the air flows through.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

IMO, the best tranny set up would be a itr, for it's closed gear ratio and it's lsd.
but any b16/b18 (gsr) tranny would do, and you can always add the lsd later.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:52 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: New to Import Tuning World and has questions (philosofy1)

Hmmm...I was assuming he meant he was doing a Frankenstein on his D15B7 until he had the funds for his B20 turbo project. Oops.

Yeah, if your plan is to Frankenstein the B-series engine, listen to Philosofy1
Old 08-21-2007, 11:58 AM

Default Re: New to Import Tuning World and has questions (Archidictus)

awesome guys this is a great help! yeah i made some extra cash off selling my old car and got this civic for 3 grand, and the motor for about 600. i still have some cash plenty of cash left over. i just want something different, still with some torque, and that is just fun to drive both on and off the track.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New to Import Tuning World and has questions (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Yeah, if your plan is to Frankenstein the B-series engine, listen to Philosofy1 </TD></TR></TABLE>

wow Archidictus, i'll take that as a compliment!