Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   New to hondas, open for suggestions (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/new-hondas-open-suggestions-2892957/)

Bodie 02-02-2011 09:55 AM

New to hondas, open for suggestions

Hey, to be completely honest I've never had a honda but have thought about getting one for a while now. I just sold my 5.0 mustang so I figured nows a good time. I need some decent mileage but definitely want some power so I was thinking of a b16a2. There is a decent priced 95 dx with a b16a2 swap in it, with intake, exhaust, and its been tuned by parris. Put down 155 hp, and the ecu was chipped (p28) for launch control at 33. Has like 100k on the engine/tranny, all 99 si. Wanted to know what you guys think, and if I wanted to mod it some once I buy it what you think I should start with. Also has no power steering (dx) so wanted to know how they handle. I know in a muscle car (all I've ever owned) thats a pretty big deal but would imagine it isn't in a eg because it didn't come with it. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

TwoFaced 02-02-2011 11:25 AM

Re: New to hondas, open for suggestions

Well, do you have pictures of it? Post them up.

Did the swap look good? No jank electric tape wiring sensors and whatnot?

Also...what's the asking price? That would definitely help.

Bodie 02-02-2011 12:17 PM

Swap is clean. Everything about it is really clean. I don't have any pics I can put up, but hes asking like 3500 for it. Kinda want a gsr swap tho because everyone is telling me they are faster stock and better to mod with the same mileage.

TwoFaced 02-02-2011 12:32 PM

Ehh...personal preference thing...and availability thing. You can sit around for months waiting to find a gsr swap in a civic...or you can work with what sounds like a clean buy...and build on that.

People will argue back and forth between b16...b18...turbo d...k swap...alllllll day. 3500 doesn't sound bad.

What condition is the body in? 5th gens are notorious for rust on the rear fenders and under the sideskirts...check those places out pretty well...

Any other mods? Nothing stupid like painted interior parts or anything is there?

Skunk2Joe 02-02-2011 12:37 PM

[QUOTE=TwoFaced;44571520]Ehh...personal preference thing...QUOTE]

Agreed, but make sure the car itself is in good shape, no salvage title, no accidents and such, you can always put a motor in it. IMO

djslim23 02-02-2011 12:44 PM

As for the modding (if you buy it), don't listen to what other people have to say, start with what you really want to do to it. I'd advise you to check out the EG thread and see what people are doing and get a taste for what you like. Good luck :thumbup:

Bodie 02-02-2011 01:29 PM

Completely stock interior, clean title. I'm probably checking it out today, thanks for the tips on the rust spots.

LowNstocK 02-02-2011 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by djslim23 (Post 44571654)
As for the modding (if you buy it), don't listen to what other people have to say, start with what you really want to do to it. I'd advise you to check out the EG thread and see what people are doing and get a taste for what you like. Good luck :thumbup:

x2

TwoFaced 02-02-2011 01:46 PM

Bring a magnet...it'll help you test where bondo spots are...and give you hint as to where a wreck might have happened and you can ask further questions, or look underneath to see more in detail if the wreck might have damaged any suspension components or anything.

DDDAAN Si 04-03-2011 07:27 AM

how much is it

hyperblu 04-03-2011 07:32 AM

As far as engines go, they're all great. The b16 has less torque, but more high end, compared to the b18. You can rev the shit out of the b16 though. :D

fallrivercolin 04-03-2011 08:40 AM

I have a 93 cx with a b16a2 swap. As far as I'm concerned the manual steering is an improvement! It handles much better. You'll have alot of fun with the b16. Not much low end torque, but they love high rpm screaming. And the VTEC crossover is loud as shit. It makes for a great starter engine/fun and quick daily driver. Mine sees 8k+ all the time