Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New to Honda's need some advice from expierienced Honda Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 03:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Honda's need some advice from expierienced Honda Tuners

I am looking for a Civic Hatchback and I have these following questions:

1. Best Year Range (i.e. 92-95, 96-99, etc.)
2. Best Model (which has most options; DX, HX, etc.)
3. Best JDM Swap(for most horsepower, lbs. of torque, size, conversion capability/ease) from these engine selections:D16A6, D16Z6, D16Y8, B16A, B16B-TYPE R, B18B, B18C, B18C-TYPE R, B20A, B20B, B21A,F20A, F20B-TYPE R, F20C-S2000, F22A, F22B, H22A, H23A, H23A-VTEC, H22A-TYPE S, K20C, K24C
4.Which Turbo Kit works best with the above selected engine
5. Name of companies that specialize in Honda/Civic Hatchback parts, accessories, body kits, interior, suspension, Exhaust, Intake, Engine Mods, etc.

Old 04-14-2004, 03:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to Honda's need some advice from expierienced Honda Tuners (SolteroCivic)

first go here https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=749544

and learn how to search then you will find all your answers on your own and you will feel soo much better
Old 04-14-2004, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to Honda's need some advice from expierienced Honda Tuners (SolteroCivic)

Just read the bottom of my sig...
Old 04-14-2004, 09:02 AM

Default Re: New to Honda's need some advice from expierienced Honda Tuners (JRI94)

hey jr, take a look at my sign up date, it's today. No disrespect intended but how in the **** do you and photec2 expect me to learn and navigate this site in under 12 hours. So like I said will someone hook it up w/ some answers, hints, pointers, etc, etc.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Most people here are just looking to shoot you down rather than offer up some advice.

I'd shoot for the 92-95 year range, DX or CX. As far as motor, it also depends on the application, drag vs autox vs road race vs onroad performance. The B18 is a good overall motor, but I wouldn't buy one until you've really researched everything. As far as turbo's, you can probably just pick up a DSM turbo or something. The kits are kinda outrageously priced. If I had to pick a kit though I'd go with Revhard. And finally Skunk2 is the bomb IMO.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its kind of hard to give you pointers when we don't know what you want.

Do you want power option? Do you want to race the car? What kind of racing? Drag? Autox? Street race? etc. Tell us what kind of stuff you want or don't want and we might be able to help you. Its too much for any one to list all the options on every car so you can just take your pick. Work for it a little bit. 98ctr
Old 04-14-2004, 09:21 AM

Default Re: (98ctr)

98ctr and jolt thanks for the advice. I'm looking for a street race powerhouse, I want an engine that wil fit on a 93 civic hatchback shell, but I'm new to honda and honda motors so I need a little bit of help. I want an engine that I can modify w/ turbo, not with juice. I was looking at the H22, K series, and some others like the 3.0 liter VTEC V-6. break me off honda masters.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (98ctr)

J/K

You just have so much you're asking at once. I'll tell you this...I love my 5th gen (92-95) coupe for autoxing. It's the DX so it has the least things that can go wrong. No power anything. But seriously, search around. You'll more easily find what your looking for and you won't get hassled by a**holes (myself included). As far as an engine is concerned, I won't give any opinion.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JRI94)

god damn so many noobies
welcome and all
but the q's are crap
Old 04-14-2004, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Will first how much are you willing to SPEND?
Old 04-14-2004, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JRI94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JRI94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

J/K

You just have so much you're asking at once. I'll tell you this...I love my 5th gen (92-95) coupe for autoxing. It's the DX so it has the least things that can go wrong. No power anything. But seriously, search around. You'll more easily find what your looking for and you won't get hassled by a**holes (myself included). As far as an engine is concerned, I won't give any opinion.</TD></TR></TABLE>
LMAO nice pic

as far as this thread, i dont like cocky n00bs.. so i say we let him do it himself, we've already told him how, every post after that he just told us how lazy and unwilling he is to learn about hondas.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm running my stock d15b7 with 142,xxx miles. The amazing part is that when I do an oil change the oil that comes out is almost as light colored as the oil that goes in.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can agree with that JUN.

On the other hand, the people who post topics and pictures making fun of the newbies on this forum, or people who just post ***** to be the first to tell someone to search is just as bad as the lazy person who didn't search in the first place. I think a mod just needs to step in and close these kinds of topics.. Save some bandwidth.. Less garbage posts.. For every crap post theres 10 people pointing out how crappy it is..

And to the fellow who posted this.. That search button everyone is ripping on you about really is useful. You seriously will find tons of information in there if you search for terms like autocross, road racing, etc. etc. This site has been around and has tons of users, its an online dictionary of how-tos, experiences, and information. You'll get better results from it.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:00 AM

Default Re: (JUN EK9)

Hey Jun, so when was it that I was cocky, why don't you get off my nuts and see that I have only been here for less that 12 hours and I am learning how to use the search feature. Unwillingness, hardly I have been experimenting w/ the search feature but in the meantime that I am looking, people can hook it up with some pointers, advice, etc. etc.

so in lamens terms, why don't you get out of this thread and go **** with someone that has the patience to read your insignificant replies.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:22 AM

I have to jump on the bandwagon and say "Search" too, but I'll at least give you some where to start.

-------------------------------------

DISCLAIMER: I don't claim to be a guru, so if I give any misinformation, someone kindly correct me. There is enough misinformation floating around already.

IMHO, some powerplants to look at for a "street race powerhouse" :

K20a:
+ the "wave of the future", i-VTEC, mad tyte y0!
- $$$, not direct bolt in by any means

H22a:
+ low price, torquey, nice hp numbers
- heavier (neg effects on handling), traction issues, not direct bolt in by any means

B18c Type R:
+ hottest of the stock Bs, great head, high compression (if staying NA)
- $$$, high compression (if going FI, easy-does-it on the boost)

B18c GSR:
+ good balance of price/performance
- doesn't share the Type R/B16 head

B18b:
+ low price, low compression (lends itself well to FI)
- no VTEC

B16a:
+ low price, same head as Type R (diff velvetrain though)
- Not much torque

Check the stickied FAQ thread. There are links to many engine comparisons.

OK, now go search and read your *** off.

BTW: Loose the attitude. It will get you nowhere. A little searching and little humility will go a long way.

Modified by OBD1Kenobe at 4:20 PM 4/14/2004
Old 04-14-2004, 11:03 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SolteroCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am looking for a Civic Hatchback and I have these following questions:

1. Best Year Range (i.e. 92-95, 96-99, etc.)
2. Best Model (which has most options; DX, HX, etc.)
3. Best JDM Swap(for most horsepower, lbs. of torque, size, conversion capability/ease) from these engine selections:D16A6, D16Z6, D16Y8, B16A, B16B-TYPE R, B18B, B18C, B18C-TYPE R, B20A, B20B, B21A,F20A, F20B-TYPE R, F20C-S2000, F22A, F22B, H22A, H23A, H23A-VTEC, H22A-TYPE S, K20C, K24C
4.Which Turbo Kit works best with the above selected engine
5. Name of companies that specialize in Honda/Civic Hatchback parts, accessories, body kits, interior, suspension, Exhaust, Intake, Engine Mods, etc.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I got a 93 Cx with a B18b for sale....
Old 04-14-2004, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Call me newb I don't care but I do believe a guy needs to start somewhere with help.

I'm not a person that approves of street racing but I would suggest a B18C1 or something with a B20B block. With those you have the ability to build it NA or turbo and yet get the most hp/tq out of your car.

But do look up those 2 motors using the search function though. There's a lot of info that have been posted about them.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SolteroCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SolteroCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey Jun, so when was it that I was cocky, why don't you get off my nuts and see that I have only been here for less that 12 hours and I am learning how to use the search feature. Unwillingness, hardly I have been experimenting w/ the search feature but in the meantime that I am looking, people can hook it up with some pointers, advice, etc. etc.

so in lamens terms, why don't you get out of this thread and go **** with someone that has the patience to read your insignificant replies.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The reason people are bitching and moaning is because we are not here to hand things to you on a silver platter. H-T serves as a massive knowlegebase, you just need to take the time to explore and learn.

People have also asked you good questions, like how much do you want to spend, but you have ignored those questions and resumed your moaning about how you've only been here 12 hrs and blah blah blah. Quit moaning about how there is no help and help yourself.