Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

new to honda scene

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to honda scene

well, i decided to try something totally new... a civic, im coming from mustangs, sr20 240s and WRXs, currently i have an 05 mustang GT and an 05 WRX both modified and both very fast, mustang is high 11s and wrx is high 12s

its a 98 red 5 speed civic coupe ex, the thing is... i only bought it for $200 from my buddy, its in awesome condition body / chassis wise, just has a blown motor.

ive heard from so many people that its easy to make hondas fast with a swap and all that good stuff, so i wanted to try it out, but the thing is i want to do it on with the least amount of money possible, my goal is low-mid 12s or faster.

so basically, whats the best way and cheapest way to get the civic to mid-low 12s, what engine to go with what mods to do, weight reduction won't be a problem if it needs to be done.

Thanks for any help!

-Joe
Old 09-02-2007, 10:08 PM

Default Re: new to honda scene (Kaldar142)

for the times u wanna run i would go for a b18b1 and turbo it. cheap motor easy to replace and not expensive. and u can make over 300 out of it on a stock block. get a decent tranny maybe a gsr and as long as u can drive u should easily hit low low 13's and be able to get into the 12's.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:38 PM
New User

Default Re: new to honda scene (cartune network)

the cheapest way to get into the 12s....gsr motor swap and direct port nitrous system, gut the car, get a set of slicks.

to get to low 12s...you would probably need to build the motor and up the shot.

turbo is a good alternative as well however for a good kit you are looking at more money.

either way start with a b18b or b18c gsr motor swap.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new to honda scene (1llmatic)

a buddy of mines has a h22 in his hatch with the conversion kit to GSR tranny..ran high 11 low 12s (unless im stupidly wrong lol)

imo, i dont think trying to spend less amount of money can get you in the 12 range with a coupe..unless u talking about 5g least amount..lol

like others said. start with a b18b or b18c, boosted. strip it if it isnt a problem to you and get some good slicks. Dont forget the TUNING part, most important.

good luck and have fun, just experiment it.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:01 PM

What about doing a Y8 build up and a home made turbo kit. You can make 300 hp and it would run under 2k for everything. It might take some time to find the parts for the right price but if you already have a stang and a rex then you'll be fine. If you dont mind me asking what do you have done to the uburu? getting a 5.0 stang into the 11's is easy but getting a WRX into the 12's takes some effort.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:05 AM
1 Weeker

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kaldar142 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, i decided to try something totally new... a civic, im coming from mustangs, sr20 240s and WRXs, currently i have an 05 mustang GT and an 05 WRX both modified and both very fast, mustang is high 11s and wrx is high 12s

its a 98 red 5 speed civic coupe ex, the thing is... i only bought it for $200 from my buddy, its in awesome condition body / chassis wise, just has a blown motor.

ive heard from so many people that its easy to make hondas fast with a swap and all that good stuff, so i wanted to try it out, but the thing is i want to do it on with the least amount of money possible, my goal is low-mid 12s or faster.

so basically, whats the best way and cheapest way to get the civic to mid-low 12s, what engine to go with what mods to do, weight reduction won't be a problem if it needs to be done.

Thanks for any help!

-Joe</TD></TR></TABLE>

you heard wrong bro
, its cheaper than other cars but you arent going to get into the 12s for less than 4000
Old 09-03-2007, 06:23 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: new to honda scene (lotus elise)

h2b with some cams and good tires

b18c5 with some mods (Might have to shop around for a good price on this)

h2b turbo

h22 turbo

f20b

d-series turbo

b-series turbo

F-series turbo

Will all get you in the 12's for ~$4000
Old 09-03-2007, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new to honda scene (ek forever guy)

just a lil information...

my brothers crx, i know its not a 95 and up civic. but his crx ran a 12.7 with a stock b20vtec setup. ran with full Si interior, full poly wings west kit, and 24x8x13 mickey thompson slicks with Rota RB

99 b20b block
88-91 SiR b16 head bent valves, and changed to 99 b16 head
aem cams
aem fuel reg
aem fuel pump
itr mani
itr 4-1 header, open headers
itr intake

stock internals

no rev limitor, shift at 8rpm

i helped him built this up from craigslist.com hahah and he spent around $1300ish

tuned at BSR made 191hp/157trq, thats alot for a stock engine..thats just a brief idea

believe it or not..lots of people think im BSing. but im not
Old 09-03-2007, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new to honda scene (My_EFsedan)

whats up dude from Silver Spring. Got of the ss metro yesterday

if you want a fast reliable honda, i recommend going to the best shops around and looking for the best swap available. NA is best because it is easier to cope with and the 4000 budget seems 100% reasonable.

forced induction on honda motors are not ment to be. NOT ment to be, meaning the motors were not originally intented to be turbocharged unless you change every single honda part in the engine that was designed for na to be convert to boost material.

i have a h22 in a eg. all motor and have yet to track. with the stock tranny, i am expecting mid 13's if all conditions are right. Sounds poopy but nitrous is very affordable and reliable in the new age. WaaahWAhhh bottles are for babies but if i can spend exactly $600 to shave a second of the quarter mile safely, i'll do it.

gl with the honda build.

if i had 4 g's to start over....
obd1 LS block, ls transmission, 2000 in motor build. 1000 turbo setup.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:16 AM

That's the thing. You can't spray and shave a second off ur 1/4 mile time safely unless you're doing work to the internals. Spray isn't safe under any condition (not to mention it's illegal in some states). The easiest way (that i know) is to buy an LS (b18b) and boost it. If you're trying to be cheap you could always pick up an 1800 dollar ebay special turbo kit but I recommend getting performance renowned parts. If you do it right and boost on stock internals on an LS you should be able to get like 15lbs of boost max. I wouldn't recommend going past 12 and you'll be right around 300 horsepower (give or take). You should be able to run your mid to low 12's possibly even a very high 11.

I wouldn't boost on a gs-r or a type-r because even though they make more power, they have a higher compression ratio and you'll have to boost even less. Personally, I am using an ls/vtec turbo setup and it works great for me. I went all out and got performance parts and everything that was necessary to upgrade/change to make boosting my car a bit safer. I haven't taken it to the track but it's making 323whp on 8-10 psi.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (the_blob)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by the_blob &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's the thing. You can't spray and shave a second off ur 1/4 mile time safely unless you're doing work to the internals. Spray isn't safe under any condition (not to mention it's illegal in some states). The easiest way (that i know) is to buy an LS (b18b) and boost it. If you're trying to be cheap you could always pick up an 1800 dollar ebay special turbo kit but I recommend getting performance renowned parts. If you do it right and boost on stock internals on an LS you should be able to get like 15lbs of boost max. I wouldn't recommend going past 12 and you'll be right around 300 horsepower (give or take). You should be able to run your mid to low 12's possibly even a very high 11.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

so u saying get a b18b and boost it at 12..would put him in the "high 11 low 12s" range in his coupe? are we talking about vtec too here?

if it was that easy, wouldnt u think everyone would have done that in a hatch/something lighter already to run like a low 11/10 sec?
Old 09-03-2007, 09:06 PM
1 Weeker

Default Re: (My_EFsedan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by My_EFsedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so u saying get a b18b and boost it at 12..would put him in the "high 11 low 12s" range in his coupe? are we talking about vtec too here?

if it was that easy, wouldnt u think everyone would have done that in a hatch/something lighter already to run like a low 11/10 sec?</TD></TR></TABLE>

if it was then i wouldnt be building my k24/k20 motor right now truth is nothing short of a highly boosted and built B, hefty modeded and sleeved F/H hybrid or H will get you that fast

granted there have been 11 second pure track car D's but were talking about a coupe/street car here
Old 09-04-2007, 01:45 AM

looks like your ahead of the game with that 200 dollar car, good deal by the way. a decent setup for the money would be finding a ls swap and a turbo kit for a good deal. 8 to 9 psi and a good tune should put you at a 12.9 with as much weight taken off the car. you can up the boost on that engine maybe 12 psi and a heck of a good tune but you risk the life of your engine might be good for a few runs down the track hehe. but the engines are relatively cheap anyways. we usually boost the hell out of sohc motors and just replace em because everyone gets rid of em. pretty fun sometimes but hard to get 12s on a sohc stock.