Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New Honda owner with a couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 New Honda owner with a couple of questions

Hello all...

I just purchased my first Honda: 2000 Civic LX MT and had a couple of questions.

Is it normal to feel and see the shifter move/deflect under acceleration or deceleration? To me that indicates worn out engine mounts and/or shifter bushings. But it may be normal with the Civic; I don't know.

Also, is the CEL an actual illuminating light or is it more like an open window with a background red "flag" that drops? I don't have an OBDII scanner to check for any thrown codes.

Where the h*** is the grounding wire from the alternator to the chassis? I looked from above and below and could not find it.

Any help with these silly questions would be appreciated. While I know VW's in-and-out (GTI VR6, R32, etc.) I am lost about the Honda product and need some direction. I am glad I found this site.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: New Honda owner with a couple of questions

Originally Posted by Finleyville
Is it normal to feel and see the shifter move/deflect under acceleration or deceleration?
Yes. The shifter is a solid bar linkage directly connected to the transmission it has to move with the engine and transmission.

Also, is the CEL an actual illuminating light or is it more like an open window with a background red "flag" that drops? I don't have an OBDII scanner to check for any thrown codes.
It's an outline. It should light up for a few seconds for the bulb check when you start the car and then go out.

Where the h*** is the grounding wire from the alternator to the chassis? I looked from above and below and could not find it.
There isn't one, the bracket is the ground.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Yes. The shifter is a solid bar linkage directly connected to the transmission it has to move with the engine and transmission.
Will replacing the engine mounts and shifter bushings reduce this movement?

It's an outline. It should light up for a few seconds for the bulb check when you start the car and then go out.
Alright, my bad. I now see the normal CEL in the instrument cluster.

I guess I was referring to the "Maintenance required" indication under the speedo. I really do not know what that specifically alludes to.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Will replacing the engine mounts and shifter bushings reduce this movement?
Depends on whether or not the mounts and bushings are bad. Some movement is normal, even with brand new mounts.

I guess I was referring to the "Maintenance required" indication under the speedo. I really do not know what that specifically alludes to.
Maint req light is basically a mileage counter for oil changes.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Depends on whether or not the mounts and bushings are bad. Some movement is normal, even with brand new mounts.
Thank you for such a speedy reply! I guess I will not worry about this right now until I order a short shift kit and replace everything at once.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can install Hasport motor and transmission mounts and it will stop a LOT of the movement if thats what you are looking for. If you want to spend that kind of money because some say they are pretty expensive, but the are performance mounts. If you do want to do this keep I'm mind that you will get some vibration because of the type of material they are made from but then again thats why they are "performance" mounts....