Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New Honda Civic Owner (w/ problem too!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 06:58 AM
NGC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Honda Civic Owner (w/ problem too!)

So I just moved cross country from Boston to San Diego. I bought a honda civic (2000 dx) in vermont and drove it the whole way with no problems! Well, I did get a flat, but that was an easy fix. About the only think i've noticed with the car, that I think is a little odd, is that in 5th gear it has trouble maintaining speed on long hills. Is this normal? I just drop it down to 4th and rev the engine up to ~4,000 rpm and everything seems to be ok.

However, there has just been a new developement. I drove out to the desert and back yesterday (round trip: ~180 miles) with no problems. But, when I went out to go grocery shopping last night I noticed that in first, second and third gears the car is making a funny whirring/nail on metal sound. It seems to be coming from the front, at first I thought something was caught in the grill. From reading through the forum here I'm suspecting that something is up with the belts/belt pulleys, but I'm pretty much a car novice. The car does not make the noise immediately upon startup, but more when I put load on the engine. It could also be related to when I let up the clutch, but I'd say it's more torque related. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New Honda Civic Owner (NGC)

yeah its a dx thats normal, as far as the screaching it is most likely belts just inspect them and replace
Old 01-12-2004, 07:55 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: New Honda Civic Owner (NGC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NGC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So I just moved cross country from Boston to San Diego. I bought a honda civic (2000 dx) in vermont and drove it the whole way with no problems! Well, I did get a flat, but that was an easy fix. About the only think i've noticed with the car, that I think is a little odd, is that in 5th gear it has trouble maintaining speed on long hills. Is this normal? I just drop it down to 4th and rev the engine up to ~4,000 rpm and everything seems to be ok.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That would be your killer torque-monster of an engine. Seriously though, it's a 1.5 or 1.6L 4-banger and that's the reason why it has trouble climbing long hills in fifth gear. Get used to it or get a new motor.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">However, there has just been a new developement. I drove out to the desert and back yesterday (round trip: ~180 miles) with no problems. But, when I went out to go grocery shopping last night I noticed that in first, second and third gears the car is making a funny whirring/nail on metal sound. It seems to be coming from the front. From reading through the forum here I'm suspecting that something is up with the belts/belt pulleys, but I'm pretty much a car novice. The car does not make the noise immediately upon startup, but more when I put load on the engine. It could also be related to when I let up the clutch, but I'd say it's more torque related. Any thoughts? Thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Although it could be a belt, that wouldn't cause a noise only in first, second and third gears. More likely it's a transmission issue, i.e. one of the gay bearings in your clutch mechanism. Try and get a better description of the sound and when it occurs and we can probably pinpoint it for you.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New Honda Civic Owner (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
More likely it's a transmission issue, i.e. one of the gay bearings in your clutch mechanism.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ya, try replacing your bearings with heterosexual ones and see if that helps

It sounds like your tranny. You should just swap out to an EX tranny. Its the best thing you can do for a d-series motor. It should also help you with the hill issue you're having.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check for loose heatshields. the cat one.