Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New to Honda

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Honda

Hey guys. Im new to hondas, but not new to the sport compact world. Ive been into them for about 8 years, and haven't had the chance to get an import till now.

So i bought a 1994 Honda Civic Hatchback with the D16Z6 swap. As far as performance, it has the z6 engine, straight exhaust (meaning just a pipe after the stock exhaust manifold), short throw, and the dumb *** who sold it to the guy i bought it from, cut the springs. so its lowered, but only because of the cut springs. It also has a stage 1 clutch, and brand new shocks (cant recall which kind).

Anyway, the previous owner told me that there is nothing mechanically wrong with it. all it needs is a thermostat, serpentine belt, and a distributor gausket? from what i saw it wasnt leaking any fluid except there was grease on top of the tranny, which the guy said was from the distributor. Is this a problem? Is this easily fixed?

Anyway if you guys could post anything i need to know about this car, motor, pro's/con's that would be great.

Again im new to honda, but have loved them since i first learned of them. I LOVE the fact that you can swap motors like underwear and how there are hundreds of thousands of performance parts for them. i cant even beleive it! i cant wait for rock falls in july!

Oh, speaking of rock falls, the previous owner claimed that this car with the current setup ran a 15.4 on the quarter mile? is this BS? if this is true that would be great, cuz a 15.4 out of that naturally aspirated 1.6L sounds amazing.

Thanks in advance for any comments. I expect to have alot of fun with this car.

-Tommyk
Old 06-26-2006, 06:44 PM

The 15.4 is probably BS. Welcome to honda-tech! The first thing you should definetly do is get new springs. That's about all the knowledge I have. Good luck!

P.S. Expect a lot of time and money along with that fun .
Old 06-26-2006, 06:48 PM

Default Re: (Muttly)

where would be a good place to start to find springs?
Old 06-26-2006, 06:50 PM

Default Re: (Muttly)

actually 15.4 IS possible with a good driver and a nice running z6...
Old 06-26-2006, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PRDM)

you don't have a serpentine belt

I imagine he meant the timing belt and if it's worn then that should be your first task
Old 06-26-2006, 06:55 PM

Default Re: (EGHatchD16Z6)

there are a lot of options for the springs, id say get some ground control coilovers (about $300)... if you want to learn more about whats possible with your hatch, start with the FAQ and continue on with reading through posts... read through the suspension section in this site, you will find a lot of great info for possible spring or coilover/shock combos there...
Old 06-26-2006, 06:59 PM

Default Re: New to Honda (EGHatchD16Z6)

welcome to HT. sounds like a good starting set up. u will have fun with it. and make sure there are no kids around while working on it cuz four letter words always seem to come with Hondas haha!

step1. get new srings AND new struts. or a coilover set up that's both.
step2. get new brake pads and check the rotors.
step3. get a cold air intake (if doesn't have one), a real header from DC, and real exhaust system. also get a fuel pressure gauge to mount on the fuel filter when u replace it along with a fuel pressure regulator and A/F ratio gauge. that will insure the proper mixture of air and fuel.
step4. 35 shot ZEX nitrous.
step5. go V6 hunting!

it all sounds like a lot, but it's cake stuff and u'll learn lots from it. enjoy!
Old 06-26-2006, 07:04 PM

Default Re: (wheelmanbg)

sorry, i meant to add that the serpentine is worn. it just needs to be replaced fairly soon. just to prevent it breaking.

thanks alot guys for all the suggestions!
Old 06-26-2006, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No, I meant that your engine doesn't use a serpentine belt!

It has a timing belt and accessory belts to drive alternator, ac, etc.

If you plan on keeping that engine then definitely replace the timing belt ASAP

cus if it breaks then you will be doing an engine swap
Old 06-26-2006, 07:21 PM

Default Re: (wheelmanbg)

ohhh i gottcha. aight i suppose thats a good investment. i should know too, cuz the timing belt broke on my old car (dodge intrepid) and it really F-ed things up. lol

thks again.

-tommyk
Old 06-26-2006, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: New to Honda (motorhead_ls)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by motorhead_ls &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">welcome to HT. sounds like a good starting set up. u will have fun with it. and make sure there are no kids around while working on it cuz four letter words always seem to come with Hondas haha!

step1. get new srings AND new struts. or a coilover set up that's both.
step2. get new brake pads and check the rotors.
step3. get a cold air intake (if doesn't have one), a real header from DC, and real exhaust system. also get a fuel pressure gauge to mount on the fuel filter when u replace it along with a fuel pressure regulator and A/F ratio gauge. that will insure the proper mixture of air and fuel.
step4. 35 shot ZEX nitrous.
step5. go V6 hunting!

it all sounds like a lot, but it's cake stuff and u'll learn lots from it. enjoy!</TD></TR></TABLE>

This setup doesn't make much sense to me... I agree with steps 1 half of 3..

I'd get coilovers, make sure brakes are good, etc., okay, then I'd get a cold air intake, I would leave the exhaust the way it is (straight pipe is fine :-\) but if u want to put $ into a performance exhaust - it's ur car, headers aren't a must but are usually recommended.

With that out of the way the rest are going in deep, the adjustable A/F ratio controller along with the A/F guage are useless w/o a wideband O2 sensor, aren't are far from neccessary, especially with the stock/boltons ur running..

The fuel pressure guage and nitrous are useless for ur terms if ur going for a road car/daily driver (which it sounds like you are)

Hope that helped
Old 06-26-2006, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGHatchD16Z6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">where would be a good place to start to find springs?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've had my hatch for about 7-8 years and have had Ground Control coilovers on them from the beginning. I have no complaints with them at all. Good ride.

I wouldn't go with anything but some type of coilover. It gives you freedom to make the car sit how you like it.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:48 AM

Default Re: New to Honda (aallbbeerrtttttt)

why does that not make sense? Nitrous i can see. but why not get the thing tuned for A/F? i blew a head gasket on those bolt ons because i was running lean and didn't know. and mabye it's cuz i live in colorado and we have more strict laws on SMOG, but test pipes here don't cut it.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:18 PM

Default Re: New to Honda (EGHatchD16Z6)

hey guys. lol, i ended up selling the hatch. i bought a 1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS. I am a member of CPD Racing. Its one of the big rally teams in the US. I bought it from my boss Whiskers (Graham Evans) who is the crew cheif, for $7,500. We are reinstalling the motor next week.

If anyone wants any info on the CPD Racing Team, go to http://www.Subaru.net or http://www.subaru.net/rally/index.php for detailed info on the team.

Anyway, i think im outta here, since i dont have my hatch n e more.

L8r guys, thanks again for all the help.

-Tommy

Modified by EGHatchD16Z6 at 2:30 PM 7/4/2006