Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New here... here's ma sol!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 04:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here... here's ma sol!

Hey guys, just signed up, thought I'd introduce myself and show you some shots of my del sol n so on...
I'm Seb, from the UK, I'm 23 and an animation student in my last year of uni over here. I've had my Del Sol for nearly 3 years now, it's a JDM VXi, with the D15B vtec engine. I got the car off ebay, and it's a mint example, no rust or problems with it at all, and when I got it I got straight in to changing the looks of the thing. Never really been in to engines and so on, more interested in customising the looks and making it my own, performance changes will come when I'm out of uni and have a chance to swap in a new engine, and possibly boost it. Yeah it's a bit wild looking, and won't be to everybody's tastes, but I love it! :D.
List of mods include:
Exterior:
Auto-R Warrior Front Bumper
Auto-R Racing Rear Bumper
Auto-R Hunter Sideskirts
Carbon rear spoiler
Faux-Carbon Rear G2 Lights
Kei Racing Shadow Wheels, 17"
Lowered 40mm on Koni Springs

Interior:
Pioneer Headunit with iPod control
JL Audio Stealthbox (subwoofer)
In-Phase rear speakers, with the gathers speakers up front, and gathers rear speaker covers.
Indiglo Dials
Carbon dial facia

Engine:
K&N Induction Kit
New rear muffler

Yeah not a lot done to the engine so far, just made it sound nice for the time being, ran out of money to do anything else for the moment! Hopefully will be sticking in a B16 asap though. God knows when that'll be though...

Heres the pics!
This is how I bought it:

Then turned it in to this... :D (This is before I got it lowered, and before I put the new muffler on)

Old 12-11-2009, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New here... here's ma sol!

welcome to HT. yeah you need to put some beef under that hood soon to be rollin like that!
Old 12-11-2009, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

why don't you just boost your D15b. run like like 8-10 psi. you be pushing around 200whp that way. be faster and about the same price as a b16 swap
Old 12-11-2009, 04:33 AM

Thanks for the welcome :D
Hmm hadn't really thought about that, was thinking it would be better to have a better base engine (like a B16), n then get the option of boosting that.
I guess I could look in to boosting the D15B, won't be for another year or so until I think about doing anything like that. Like my bro is telling me not to boost at all, cos of risking fking my engine up, but meh, I want turbo!
Old 12-11-2009, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

not really my still but gl with it dude
Old 12-11-2009, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not really my style but GL with the Build
Old 12-11-2009, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First two pics it looked the best, after that it went downhill IMO with the body kit, tailights, wing, etc. Just not my style but if it floats your boat I guess thats all that matters.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's a good thing you have that spoiler to keep plenty of downward force on those rear tires... since it's not rwd.

That's not really my cup of tea either, go back to oem bumpers, de-wing it, get a nice lip kit and drop it a little. That's my two cents, but it's your car do whatever you like. I do like the rims although they are a little big, but the car looks like it is in great condition.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've seen a lot of different and rather uggly "body kits" on del Sols, but this one, I like. Your wheels look great on a red del Sol and the wheel well gap you achieved is perfect. Nice job lowering!

The wing, on the other hand, looks added on, like an afterthought. The rest looks tight and integrated. Would much prefer to see a color matched lip off the "boot's" rear edge, but that's just me.

Great work. I like seeing these light little cars preserved, driven and enjoyed. I have a '97, and it's a slow work in progress, but will remain largely stock. Go easy with the engine makeover. Keep it simple, since the Honda engines are so good to begin with.

Your steering wheel is on the "wrong" side of the car, but in this configuration, it would make a fun car for postal delivery over here in the "States".

Well done!
Old 12-11-2009, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dsolista
I've seen a lot of different and rather uggly "body kits" on del Sols, but this one, I like. Your wheels look great on a red del Sol and the wheel well gap you achieved is perfect. Nice job lowering!

The wing, on the other hand, looks added on, like an afterthought. The rest looks tight and integrated. Would much prefer to see a color matched lip off the "boot's" rear edge, but that's just me.

Great work. I like seeing these light little cars preserved, driven and enjoyed. I have a '97, and it's a slow work in progress, but will remain largely stock. Go easy with the engine makeover. Keep it simple, since the Honda engines are so good to begin with.

Your steering wheel is on the "wrong" side of the car, but in this configuration, it would make a fun car for postal delivery over here in the "States".

Well done!
that doesn't look lowered at all if it is it's half inch max
Old 12-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

people here are giving you water'd down comments
dude no offense but u killed ur clean *** sol.. you turned it from potential to rice..
please at Least.. take off that spoiler.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joelmatt89
It's a good thing you have that spoiler to keep plenty of downward force on those rear tires... since it's not rwd.
Yea, since having down force on the rear wheels is absolutely pointless in corners.

I hate ignorant comments like this

The body kit isn't my cup of tea, and the wing is completely pointless since this car probably won't ever get tracked but it would make a difference on a track.

edit - you're from the UK, its the style over there.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by skittle_107
Yea, since having down force on the rear wheels is absolutely pointless in corners.

I hate ignorant comments like this

Dude, I think joelmatt was just being sarcastic. Atleast thats how I took his comment, I thought it was funny.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That thing is burning my eyes. At first I was like okay cool, he has a nice stock sol and I was hoping for something nicely modded when I scrolled down. But... no. You killled it.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by dsolista

Well done!
The car hadn't actually been lowered in these photos. I ain't really gotta great picture to show the amount it's gone down since I put the springs on. This is pretty much the only pic I got of it since the springs went on...

And lol the steering wheel ain't on the wrong side!

Also, I agree the honda engines are damn good to begin with, that's pretty much the main reason why I own a Honda, reliability! And also the other main reason was the fact it revs to 7200 before hitting the red! Fking love that engine, even if it ain't the most powerful one compared to the larger ones, it's fast and fun enough for me on the twisty roads around where I live.

LOL. Yeah the rear spoiler is just for looks, I ain't stupid enough to go thinking it offers any performance improvement in the slightest, just before you think any different! . It's a real love it or hate it part of the car, I love it, and it's on there because it's different, I wanted something different than all the 1000's of del sols out there with bumpers and a lip kit. Gotta be original!

Originally Posted by dth0ng69
people here are giving you water'd down comments
dude no offense but u killed ur clean *** sol.. you turned it from potential to rice..
please at Least.. take off that spoiler.
Now that's the reply I was waiting to see lol. Just making it look original to me that's all! At some point the spoiler will be coming off, thinking about changing it to an OEM style one, but the carbon fibre variety...
This car is meant to be over the top!

Thanks for the comments guys :D
Old 12-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lawlz to all the haters, I'm surprised people have been so "watered down"
yeah it does look all "riced" up but meh, whatevuh. that picture overlooking the countryside is amazing! nice job with the build.. except for the wing.. lol it just REALLY stands out. cheers!
Old 12-11-2009, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

List of mods include:
Exterior:

Lowered 40mm on Koni Springs

Oops, must have been reading something about the drop(someplace). Sorry. I still think you have a very well done dS... even if your steering wheel strangely pushed way over in front of the passenger seat for some odd reason.

Last picture is great. When did you take it?

Need to see a new picture from the side to compare the real drop to the 1st moded picture in your thread bf (before drop).
Old 12-11-2009, 01:33 PM

Yeah I'll get a pic next week showing the drop better, I don't bring the sol to uni with me (as it'll get stolen!), so going back home on sunday, can't wait to get back and drive it! I'll snap a shot when I'm back, for u guys.

I took that photo this last summer I think, it's at this viewpoint near where I live, which has got like a 180+ degree view looking out from Wales towards England, its an awesome spot for photos n chilling out :D.

Thanks for the compliments!
Old 12-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you like it thats all that matters. i like how your going against the grain, building it the way you want it, instead of the over played rims,drop,lip
Old 12-11-2009, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Excellent on all counts, Seb. Don't forget to snap that pic. Spent a month in the U.K. years ago. Didn't get to trave to Wales... was limited pretty much Norfolk county to London. Wales is where part of my family came from.

I used google maps just now... it seems like you would have to be looking east to southeast across the Severn? Possible?
Old 12-11-2009, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey. not my style... as others said. but if you like it.. run with it. my say... coilovers... slammed... lip kit = sex. i love the del sol. interior pics?
Old 12-11-2009, 06:02 PM

Yeah that view is looking out southeast, over the River Severn, you can see both of the Severn bridges from that place... lol good guess! I'll make sure I snap a pic when I'm back.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by leondx
hey. not my style... as others said. but if you like it.. run with it. my say... coilovers... slammed... lip kit = sex. i love the del sol. interior pics?
Only interior pics I got:
Heres just one showing the Stealthbox and the Pioneer mono amp which powers it, I need to make a better mount for it, and the amp will be going in the boot/trunk as soon as I can sort out some water issues in there (a little hole by the edge of where the trunk lid fits lets some water through).

Cluster shot:

(That milage is in kilometres by the way, has only done around 65000 miles)

Engine shot... nothing special admittedly!
Old 12-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is that real cf on the guage cluster? and as far as your engine bay... header. engine degreaser. aaaaand paint valve cover.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:26 PM

lol yeah painting the valve cover is one of the first things on the list of **** to do. Need to spend a day or two degreasing the engine bay n making it shine too, it's a lot of work though!
And yeah it's real CF on the gauge cluster. Got that off ebay, was pretty cheap but looks awesome :D

Quick Reply: New here... here's ma sol!