Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

new help cutting springs......

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help cutting springs......

im just trying to drop the car 1-1/2" or 2 " with out spending any money or waiting on parts doing it..that is until auto -x when winter ends (then i am getting a nice coil over setup).

so should i take the springs out and put them in a vice or put it on a lift and cut them on the car? im just trying to do it as easy as possible so any suggestions would help.

btw i searched and there is NO info on cutting ure springs DIY style
Old 01-01-2007, 12:35 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have come to the wrong site my friend.

Cutting your springs is stupid, and rather dangerous. Figure this "modification" out on your own time.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Eran)

So stay stock until autox? Because you will ruin your springs/struts so you will not be able to sell them
Old 01-01-2007, 12:51 PM

well i have heard succesfull stories of ppl doing this... and i would rather cut my OEM springs before i use those cheap e-bay coilover sleeves. So i am just looking for anybody who has any informaion on this...or someone who can talk me out of doing it.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (allricedout)

dude you will not get help on this topic on this site. Im sorry to say but you can do some damage to the rest of your suspension by doing some ghetto rigging like this.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (junior40er)

dont do it, save the money get some coilovers or springs.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't take the posts the wrong way OP. It's for your own good. There are SOME cases when heating/ cutting springs is successful, but for the most part... nope. Most heatings and cuttings end in shitty ride, blown shocks, bottoming out... pretty much everything that can go wrong. My friend did it to his accord... that was bad times.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:04 PM

thats some trailer park bullshit idea.
your too poor to spend 170 on some tein/omnipower/skunk2 springs but your would rather chop yours and risk 500+ damage to your car?
Old 01-01-2007, 01:05 PM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: need help cutting springs...... (allricedout)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allricedout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">btw i searched and there is NO info on cutting ure springs DIY style</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's because it's a poor idea, and most members here know better than to do it.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you want to lower your car just for winter? Perhaps you should think about a bit more.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just get some used springs bro...there not expensive at all. either way your going to spend money. after the drop you'll need a alignment and maybe camber kits...add these two things up and thats close to 2 bills already...
Old 01-01-2007, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allricedout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i have heard succesfull stories of ppl doing this... and i would rather cut my OEM springs before i use those cheap e-bay coilover sleeves. So i am just looking for anybody who has any informaion on this...or someone who can talk me out of doing it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude, whatever. Go ahead and do it. I would rather use eBay coilovers.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what i did b4 is i went to a muffler shop and told them to heat my springs... and they did it... and i like it for the 1st week coz its better than my old set up on my old car but it didnt last.. so if i wer u... just keep it stock and wait till u got the coilovers... and pls if u gonna use coilover sleeves on stock shox, dont do it.. just get a tein s tech spring or h&r sport or just save ur money for better set up.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

To answer your question, you're going to have to take the springs off the car and put them in a vice and cut them. You can cut them while they're still on the car but you're going to have to take everything apart to get the cut part of the spring out anyways.

Your car is going to ride like total ****! I heated the springs on my $600 beater pickup and I hate it. I'll never do it again!

While you're at it, go ahead and put your head in that same vice and tighten it down as tight as you can!
Old 01-01-2007, 04:55 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: need help cutting springs...... (EX-T)

hell why not drive with no springs at all
Old 01-01-2007, 05:02 PM

Default Re: need help cutting springs...... (doood)

just buy some 10 doller ebay springs and save ur self money
Old 01-01-2007, 05:06 PM

...sounds like it is possible but from the majority of the replies it seems like the people who cut thier springs did NOT like it. well keep them coming i guess if you have any experience with this.

BTW in the post above this one the user states <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EX-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> While you're at it, go ahead and put your head in that same vice and tighten it down as tight as you can! </TD></TR></TABLE>

well that is nice but ure cry for attention isnt working right now...this is a forum not a chat room so keep comments like that to ureself, but the words above that statment were okay.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont cut the springs man. I kow a guy who has this beater jetta that he cut the springs on. Like a week after I see him at school and he told me he crashed the jetta. He was midcorner and the car started bouncing uncontrolably and violently. The car pretty much bounced off the road and into a 3 foot ditch.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:04 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allricedout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
well that is nice but ure cry for attention isnt working right now...this is a forum not a chat room</TD></TR></TABLE>

i liked his statement... you sound stupid wanting to cut or heat your springs.

do what you want... i hope no one helps you.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turnsignalandy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by doood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hell why not drive with no springs at all</TD></TR></TABLE> Funny thing is, there is a 4th gen Lude running around my town with NO rear suspension at all no shocks or springs, sad thing is hes riding around on my old fat fives that i spent a week painting black...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EX-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">To answer your question, you're going to have to take the springs off the car and put them in a vice and cut them. You can cut them while they're still on the car but you're going to have to take everything apart to get the cut part of the spring out anyways.

Your car is going to ride like total ****! I heated the springs on my $600 beater pickup and I hate it. I'll never do it again!

While you're at it, go ahead and put your head in that same vice and tighten it down as tight as you can! </TD></TR></TABLE>
bwhahahahaha

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cambopheonix56 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Dude, whatever. Go ahead and do it. I would rather use eBay coilovers.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
For what you are trying to do, $12 shipped for coilovers isn't bad, much better than cut/heated springs but FAR worse than that of a skunk2 or eibach
Old 01-02-2007, 02:00 AM

Default Re: (turnsignalandy)

3- foot damn thats crazy to hear. Dont cut the springs get cheapos from ebay
Old 01-02-2007, 02:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (phyzJunkieCivic)

i wouldnt do it at all. it will ride horribly.

what i would do...save your money for what you want. you will be happier in the end.

then save your stock suspension in case you want to sell your car. or put stocks back on in the winter if you are in an area that snows
Old 01-02-2007, 02:49 AM

is that your eg in the icon? looks sick my girlfriend begs me to paint my car pink
Old 01-02-2007, 04:23 AM
Banned

The #1 mistake people make cutting the springs is heating them.

There is proper methods to cutting springs so they they will be lower, and still ride properly and not bouncy.

I am riding on Apex lowering springs that have been cut. Now I won't say how to cut them as I know a few people here will do it and kill themselves or smash there cars. But regardless things have to be measured 1000's and can't even be 0.0001 of a mm off or it won't be safe.

So buy yourself some 60$ springs or don't do it at all.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:59 AM

obviously you peeps didnt read the initial post about how i want to drop the car with out spending ANY money....i know it problaly it a good idea and im coming to realize that so cut me some slack, it is JUST and idea wtf is so offensive to you that u get all pissed about. whatever im out and problaly going to keep it stock untill auto-x and go with a tien pro ciol over kit. peece

Quick Reply: new help cutting springs......