Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

new to H-T... 2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to H-T... 2 questions

Hello Honda Tech 1st of all.

I have a jdm b16a swap in my grocery getter/ work commuter. I am planning on going with a small turbo or even a jackson sc in the future.

1) I have a question on what part of the motor should I prep for the turbo/sc....the head or the block 1st?

2) My car idles at 2500rpm when first started, then drops to 1500rpm when warm. I did some searching and saw that it could be either vaccum leaks, or something with my throttle body. Something about a little screw in there that needs to be tightened. But I do not know where to start.

If somebody could be helpful as to give me a detailed walk through on what vaccum hoses to check and how to take the tb off would be greatly appreciated. Pics would definately help me out.

Thank you,... and I hope you all can help me out alittle bit more (pics/walkthrough)
Old 06-26-2005, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: new to H-T... 2 questions (ehhhWhatsUpDOHC)

dont know about #2 but #1 build the block
Old 06-26-2005, 05:41 PM

Default Re: new to H-T... 2 questions (93ejay1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93ejay1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont know about #2 but #1 build the block </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I was thinking...eagle forged rods/pistons etc.

Then pp the head, valve job, retainers/springs, nitrate coated valves, some high lift cams.

...but I really need to get to the bottom of this idle
Old 06-26-2005, 05:56 PM

Default Re: new to H-T... 2 questions

Hope somebody out there can help me out some....good night.
Old 06-26-2005, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your search for High idle returned 63 results.

Lots of info in there ^
Old 06-26-2005, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new to H-T... 2 questions (ehhhWhatsUpDOHC)

thats your cold start idel, it makes your car warm up faster.so yes thats normal. And with a b16 the head flows pretty well. but think of it like this. If you do the block the head has to come off. And if you do the head then you have ablock just sitting there. i would say do both of them at the same time. so that you dnt have to tear into the motor later down the road.
Old 06-26-2005, 07:58 PM

#1 thicker head gasket, get a new timing belt, don't worry about building up the motor unless you thikn your gonna get boost happy.

#2, spray carb cleaner anywhere there could possibly be an intake/vacuum leak, if the idle drops to normal, then you've found the spot.

and the screw thing is on the intake side of the throttle body. you'll need a flathead screwdriver to turn it to adjust your idle. but you might need to remove a peice of plastic over the screw.. just remember, this isn't real ly fixing your "problem" if you have one, just adjusting your idle
Old 06-26-2005, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blurrrcivic94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blurrrcivic94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">#1 thicker head gasket, get a new timing belt, don't worry about building up the motor unless you thikn your gonna get boost happy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

id be scared of more than 6 or 7 psi without a built bottom end.
like u said, its your grocery getter, put the money in ur nice car.
Y boost it at all without building it up? only doing half the work.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:05 PM

Default Re: (1995Ex_Sedan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1995Ex_Sedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your search for High idle returned 63 results.

Lots of info in there ^</TD></TR></TABLE>

WOW...thanks for all the great information
Old 06-26-2005, 11:17 PM

Default Re: (ehhhWhatsUpDOHC)

http://helminc.com/helm/homepage.asp
If ur gonna work on your car get a shop manuel and it will tell you where all your vacuum lines and hoses are as well as what little screw to turn and how much to turn it. with ur prob
Old 06-26-2005, 11:18 PM

Default Re: new to H-T... 2 questions (sohcvtec1995)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohcvtec1995 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats your cold start idel, it makes your car warm up faster.so yes thats normal. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think so...it used to idle at 1500rpm on start up, then 850rpm at normal running temp. So 2500rpm down to 1500rpm is not normal for a b16.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blurrrcivic94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">#1 thicker head gasket, get a new timing belt, don't worry about building up the motor unless you thikn your gonna get boost happy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol...I will be getting boost happy once it is built. But that ^ is a good start for me.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blurrrcivic94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">#2, spray carb cleaner anywhere there could possibly be an intake/vacuum leak, if the idle drops to normal, then you've found the spot.

and the screw thing is on the intake side of the throttle body. you'll need a flathead screwdriver to turn it to adjust your idle. but you might need to remove a peice of plastic over the screw.. just remember, this isn't real ly fixing your "problem" if you have one, just adjusting your idle</TD></TR></TABLE>

Now that is useful info...thank you I will definately try the carb cleaner spray.

You wouldn't happen to have any pics of tb removal ....would you? Will I have to get a new tb gasket after I take it off...probably a good idea right? I am sorry, but I am n00b and don't really know my stuff yet. Thank you for your help.