Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New guy here, 99 Civic EX Coupe,5spd

Old 07-10-2010, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy here, 99 Civic EX Coupe,5spd

Hey everyone I just purchased a 99 Civic EX, coupe, 5spd its silver.
Has 118K on it, bone stock, very clean. Probably get it fully detailed bumper to bumper,and all the maintenance up to date. Its my daily driver, but I am planning on doing a B-series motor swap, B16A2, OBD2 I believe is the motor I am planning on swapping in, and eventually boosting it.

Id like too make 300hp-400hp if possible..I'd even build the long block up if needed. Also must retain A/C,and P/S.
Really liking the idea of E85 fuel set up, we have a lot of pumps around here with it,and only $2.19 a gallon, sometimes a little less/more.

Basically Id like it to be a 99 Civic Si, cosmetically and mechanically. As of now I am on the hunt for the Si front lip,front grill,rear wing,and oem rims/tires.

I hope to use this forum to gain knowledge to help me build up my car and maintain it.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New guy here, 99 Civic EX Coupe,5spd

i woulnd not run 300-400 hp if you are using it as a daily id build it for fuel milage.In my opinion. 300 hp in rain or any condition besides dry would get annoying on a FWD car. With the turbo alot of turbos that are big enough to put that sort of power eliminate the PS and AC because of how its set up you will have to be sure the spacific setup is made for cars who keep AC and PS. E85 would be fine altho the fuel milage would go down significantly but that would make up for it being 2 19. I would honestly if you were to turbo it go with a b18 b or a b20z something that is without V-Tec. and even a 250 hp honda civic can get up and go pretty will because of the weight. or lack there off i would suggest looking in that area you will be more than happy with that as a DD
Old 07-10-2010, 11:44 PM
pm4nudes

for the amount sent on converting...you could probably buy one!
Old 07-10-2010, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by chewyv
for the amount sent on converting...you could probably buy one!
yeah very true the price is very good now for them. Altho it is hard to find one thats not been Molested to near death. Back in the day and even some now people liked to make show cars out of them and add the ugly body kits and shave all the mouldings an ugly stuff like that so its really hard to find one thats a GOOD one
Old 07-10-2010, 11:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm.. so what is the highest HP stock Honda motor that I can swap in and have a/c and p/s ?
K20A Honda Integra Type-R 220hp/ 150tq ?

I guess 250whp N/A could be fun
Old 07-11-2010, 12:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

NA hp is much more fun that Turbo because there is no lag. NA hp you can keep every thing on it. Its only when you go turbo depending on the setup the turbo usually interfere with the space of the AC and PS pumps so the turbo would not fit on. most of the time once you go Turbo its no longer a DD . but NA hp is fun. I have around 200 HP right now and im happy with it i would like to add a small turbo tho for fun but that will wait and it wont be a DD when i do that. Turbo cars arent real relyable Stock turbo cars are but turbo cars modded since the motor it self was never designed to accept a turbo which is the same for the electronics and fuel systems. I would stay NA unless you plan to make it a weekend car. but 250 NA hp may be a bit hard it would take alot of parts. i have over sized pistons, Integra type r cams, and a ITR header and im still bearly over the stock hp.. maybe by 20 hp. And mill work for the motor is expensive. I would stroke your engine, Put some after market cams on it maybe some Skunk 2 cams, get a nice exhaust . 2 and a quarter inch is the IDEAL for a b series ( if you go with that motor.) id say realisticly 215 would be reachable with some bigger injectors and a fuel pump. but any more than that id say 220 is pushing it. 250 would be if you had a race team budget. IM sorry im going around in circles. Have you thought about just boosting your D sereis. it would be tons cheaper and 250 would be reachable. nearly half or more of the price of swapping in a b and bosting it.

Sorry the HIGEST Stock motor would be a K23a1 but i dont know if you canfit all extras on there. The k23a1 is out of the RDX turbo and has 240 hp 2.3 litre
Old 07-11-2010, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Appreciate the responses. I have owned many N/A and turbo cars, my last 2 cars were an Evo 9, and 95 supra tt 6spd, the evo was my dd, only upgraded the air filter and clutch. The supra was a toy, invested a lot of $ into it, highest dyno was 642rwhp
Unfortunately the recession hit and caused me a lot of financial loss, so I was forced to sell both of them and downsize my lifestyle.
So now here I am with a 99 Civic and hungry for power. I've owned, modded most everything, but never got into Honda until now. I know I probably should of opted for an actual Si, or GSR, but I got a great deal on this EX so I took it.
I was considering boosting the stock D motor, but I researched it and it seems a lot of people who do it end up blowing up lol. I know driver plays a huge role, but it made it seem that a D motor wasn't even worth boosting.
You have me convinced to swap a larger NA motor into now lol. Im not ready to swap yet, want to do a lot of research first and maybe drive a few cars with the motors I can swap in. I like the ITR motor, as well as H22A as both have the 200hp+ stock

Eventually when I get back up to my financial status that I was at, in fact hopefully exceeding it, my Civic will become a weekend car toy. Then I wont worry about A/C, etc.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

id say the ITR motor The H22 you will not be able to put AC and PS on because it wont fit. I can understand DDing an evo thats got alot of HP lol because its AWD but a civic is so light that when you get alot of power at the wheels all it does is spin and its annoying. i vowed never to go High HP with a civic because its not awd and you cant really efficiantly get the power to the ground. Civics are nice for track cars tho but i HATE drag racing and turbo civics pretty much go in a straight line because when you get that much power to the wheels that are both steering and moving the car its only good for straight line. Where an Evo is good for what ever you want . Winter parking lot snow fun or well controlled rain driving.. Civics are good for none of that lol

It may just be me tho i get really weary of having something fast and front wheel drive because i dunno i guess its just me. Id rather it be AWD
Old 07-11-2010, 12:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL! Man do you work for an engine supplier? You have me sold on NA swap, lol.
So with an ITR swap, can I run A/C and P/S without any issues? Will I need custom motor mounts,wiring? or is it direct drop in, plug n play
Also the gauge cluster, an ITR gauge cluster will be plug n play as well?

I remember riding in a 96-00 civic hatch, fully built with 715hp, it had drag radials and lsd and still would not move until 3rd or 4th gear lol. The owner had like $30K into it
With slicks and on a drag strip it was an animal of course ha!
Old 07-11-2010, 12:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha i dont work for a supplier unfortunatly. An integra type R motor would be a direct drop in however you would need the harness, And Mounts from a 99-00 civic SI. The Type R comes with AC and PS so it will all work fine. You will need to Evac your AC lines and have it recharged after the motor is in because the D sereis AC compressor will not bolt up all the way. 2 fit 2 dont. Most swaps now adays come with The Harness and ECU be sure it is uncut. Also you will need some Integra GSR or Axles. I think the Type R axle splines to the hubs are bigger unless you choose to go with a 5 lug conversion then the axles will work. I would also upgrade the radiator because the Dseries radiator will not keep up with the big old B18c5. I would suggest althou you may already be planing on any ways is touching up the engine bay or just degreasing it before you drop the motor in.. I did not and unfortunalty i DD the car and it currently is my ONLY car so i have to wait till i can get another one before i can pull the motor and sprey the engine bay. I would go with a 99-00 civic SI cluster because that is the Closest one that will fit. The i belive the redline is a little different but not enough to make a Gauge difference. The EX gauge cluster will work but you will be past redline on the guages so its best to get teh SI one so you can see it accuratly. so running list.
99-00 SI motor mounts,
ITR ECU With harness
GSR axles
civic SI gauge cluster
and i would go with an SI or ITR fuel pump aswell
i think thats all that is needed. because all B series engines were made to fit in the Integras and civics 89-00 civics that is. The H motors were made to fit in accords , Odessys, and Preludes
Old 07-11-2010, 01:14 AM
pm4nudes

Originally Posted by 97ej6dx
yeah very true the price is very good now for them. Altho it is hard to find one thats not been Molested to near death. Back in the day and even some now people liked to make show cars out of them and add the ugly body kits and shave all the mouldings an ugly stuff like that so its really hard to find one thats a GOOD one
I think all the non si models had it even worse. This guy tried to sell me a 98 civic si with the "rare vtec motor everyone soups up" he says. I was like wtf?? 98? si? is that an auto? why is there a roof scoop on here?
Old 07-11-2010, 01:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

97ej6dx posted some good info, but if you're like me, I'd like to see all my options and see what the pro's/con's to each engine swaps is. Here is a great thread to start with: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/engine-swap-info-faqs-how-ck-engine-lights-878010/

Also, to keep A/C with most B series engine swap, you don't need to evacuate your A/C lines. As a matter of fact, you don't need to disconnect your A/C lines from your compressor, you only need to unbolt it and move it out of the way. But you need to swap your A/C bracket mounted to the B series engine to either:

1. 97-01 CRV A/C bracket
2. Civic Del Sol VTEC A/C bracket

All of the above had B Series engines that used D Series A/C compressors.

And for engine mounts, you only need to get a 99-00 SI rear engine mount (aka T Bracket), the drivers side engine mount bracket (attaches to the engine block itself) along with the desired A/C engine bracket.

If you search this forum for swap info, you'll find everything you need to know about getting the engine you decide on into your chassis. I suggest reading some of the swap info linked in this thread first: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/faqs-frequently-asked-tech-questions-1998336/.

Some things to keep in mind when swapping into your Civic:

1. Determine what ODB you'd like to keep your car and if you'd like to keep it emissions compliant.
2. Once you decide on a swap (sounds like you are leaning a B Series Swap), research a lot using info on this and other Honda or Civic oriented forums. There is tons of info out there that will give you exact part #'s of parts need to complete swaps and you'll be able to see what other people have experienced so you can make your swap much easier.

I just completed a GSR (B18C1) swap into my 00 Civic Ex Coupe. I had zero issues because I researched for all the info posted in this forum and other forums.

Last edited by VPUPPY; 07-11-2010 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Corrected info
Old 07-11-2010, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The 99-00 civic motor did not. i have one in my car and my D AC compressor only connects with 2 bolts the other 2 will not fit
Old 07-11-2010, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 97ej6dx
The 99-00 civic motor did not. i have one in my car and my D AC compressor only connects with 2 bolts the other 2 will not fit
Edit: My bad you are right. Si bracket won't work.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow thanks everyone!
Old 07-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If i were you id just boost the d16y8. I knew someone who had one it was a 2000 ex with around 250 hp and i was surprised how quick that thing was.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

think I am going to go with this
http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...age&item=30011

Is it worth the extra $600 to opt for the 98+ ITR motor swap?
Old 07-11-2010, 12:26 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FightnRace
think I am going to go with this
http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...age&item=30011

Is it worth the extra $600 to opt for the 98+ ITR motor swap?
That is an awesome choice! I have the same setup about to go into my 2000 Civic. The 98 spec ITR is one of the best out there. Good, powerful, linear engine, the tranny besides having LSD, is also the 4.7 final drive and is wicked fun on the street.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sweet!
EDIT- nice build up post I saw it in your sig.

Originally Posted by Deetz
That is an awesome choice! I have the same setup about to go into my 2000 Civic. The 98 spec ITR is one of the best out there. Good, powerful, linear engine, the tranny besides having LSD, is also the 4.7 final drive and is wicked fun on the street.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OP i sent you a pm