Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New to forum Crank pulley problems

Old 06-30-2011, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forum Crank pulley problems

Hello new hear, usualy on joing a forum when i need help and don't know what to do exactly
The car
97 civic hatchback with b16y7 engine. 148k

My buddie said it had oil in the res, and was overheating so i thought, Headgasket. Took off the head sent it to the machine shop.

Forgot to remove crank pulley bolt, Long story short i got it off and No woodruff key and the splines on the pulley are totally worn and the crank is rounded with no splines. Called the machine shop told them to put the work on hold.100$ for machine work thus far, 120$ head gasket kit. so money already invested

Looks like the key was not installed as those grooves look perfect. Hence i could not match bottom crank timing to top cam for TDC.

Read an old post were a guy just bought a new pulley and installed as is. how micky mouse is that?

Buddie has the option of buying a 2000-02 civic with a 1.7 motor but it has i think 100k. is it worth swaping. do i need to do entire harness?

Sorry for the long post, but im charging the guy and i kinda feel a little guilty i didnt take off the crank bolt sooner. Bastards that did his timing belt messed up big time!

Regards
J
Old 06-30-2011, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to forum Crank pulley problems

Can you bolt the pulley back on, set TDC by visually looking at the piston, then make a mark on the crank? Or will the pulley eventually walk?
Old 06-30-2011, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, after taking the pulley off i walked away luckly i took a picture but i can't post it yet.

It appears the slots for the woodruff key on both crank and pulley were clean. Who ever did the timing must have forgot it so guess if i installed that little key it would hold the pulley in place and the Crank bolt would hold it in place even further ?
Old 06-30-2011, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Atomic1
Can you bolt the pulley back on, set TDC by visually looking at the piston, then make a mark on the crank? Or will the pulley eventually walk?
Yes i can put the pulley back on. i set tdc on the cam gear before i took off the head. i can put a mark on the crank yes. i was going to take the t-belt cover off anyways because the t-belt was very loose, maybe bad tensioner or it was installed wrong.

I think if i install the key it won't walk now that i think of it assuming it's not the badly chewed up
Old 06-30-2011, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is a mark on the rear sproket also but ya put a new key in it as long as you can bolt it alltogether it won't be off not likely you twisted the end of the crank and did you mean d16y7 not b16y7
Old 07-01-2011, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes d16y7 sorry i still say b16 from the old school days. Ok well i'm going to call the dealer and see if the have the woodruff key/ straight key and hand tighten the crank bolt and see if there is any play so i know weather or not to buy a used harmonic balancer.

Is it ok to re-use the crank bolt?

And the machine shops said my exhaust valves were bad. weres a good place to buy them as im trying to keep the cost down. i think maybe napa had them for 12$