Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

new flywheel + old clultch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 09:02 AM
* B A N N E D *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new flywheel + old clultch?

Is it possible/adviseable to install a 7.5llb flywheel with my stock clutch? I friend of mine has the 7.5 lb flywheel on her civic ex. It feels great, especially when downshifting and rev-matching. My stock clutch still has plenty plenty of grab left.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:18 AM

Default Re: new flywheel + old clultch? (cbmprelude)

why not upgrade the clutch while your in there. save hassle later on, but keep your old clutch packed away nicely for a rainy day when you go through your upgraded clutch. always good to keep spare parts around that'll break/go bad one day. save you going without a car for a car later on till you get another clutch. just my opinion though......anybody else??
Old 04-25-2006, 10:27 AM

Default Re: new flywheel + old clultch? (delslowhonda)

imo i would just save up 300 more and buy a new clutch kit. your already in there so you might as well put it on.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:50 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: new flywheel + old clultch? (tallyturbo)

But it is possible? Also is ther a huge difference between a stage one clutch and an oem/oem replacement clutch? Is it worth paying the extra for the stage one over an oem clutch? Also can things like a pilot or throw out bearing be reused again in the new clutch? Thanks
Old 04-25-2006, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cbmprelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But it is possible? Also is ther a huge difference between a stage one clutch and an oem/oem replacement clutch? Is it worth paying the extra for the stage one over an oem clutch? Also can things like a pilot or throw out bearing be reused again in the new clutch? Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you're already going to buy a new clutch kit (say, Stage 1), all those bearings should come with the clutch as a kit.

IMO, there is a noticeable difference between a street clutch (stage 1) vs. oem.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:55 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: new flywheel + old clultch? (Denny317)

I read someone was selling excedy stage ones without the bearings but they had a good price
Old 04-26-2006, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by delslowhonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why not upgrade the clutch while your in there. save hassle later on, but keep your old clutch packed away nicely for a rainy day when you go through your upgraded clutch. always good to keep spare parts around that'll break/go bad one day. save you going without a car for a car later on till you get another clutch. just my opinion though......anybody else??
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-27-2006, 03:49 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: new flywheel + old clultch? (808draggers)

will there be any issues with using a fresh flywheel with an old clutch that has worn to match an old flywheel already? Is there any sort of break in period required? I am a bit hesitant to purchasing a replacement clutch because I have read a lot of issues with aftermarket clutchs lacking the longevity of an oem clutch.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:41 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get a good aftermarket clutch (meaning not a generic ebay one), you shouldn't have longevity issues on an otherwise stock car.

The stock clutch is an Exedy. The Exedy stage 1 is a great replacement for it. I've had it in mine for about 15,000 miles, and I think it feels better than the stock did after 15k, and it grips and holds much better.

I don't think there's a problem with putting an old clutch on a new flywheel - you might get some chatter at first, but it should bed in. You will have to replace the clutch eventually though, and there's no point in pulling the transmission twice if you don't have to.

What flywheel are you getting? I've had good luck with the Fidanza 7.5.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cbmprelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is it possible/adviseable to install a 7.5llb flywheel with my stock clutch? I friend of mine has the 7.5 lb flywheel on her civic ex. It feels great, especially when downshifting and rev-matching. My stock clutch still has plenty plenty of grab left.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It will be fine.
I've done this many times.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:10 AM

If your intrested, im selling a Exedy Stage 1 clutch kit w/ a Fidannza flywheel for cheap. let me know...

oh and an aftermarket flywheel will work fine with a oem clutch. say that right on the installation sheet with the fidanza flywheel.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new flywheel + old clultch? (likenother)

alright don't be gay, a stage 1 clutch is just like a stock one but i little bite of grab. just go with a stage 2 it will be worth it. plus the hole mileage think depends on how hard u drive the car. act, is a good clutch, but ebay one are cheap but they work.