Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

new flywheel binding with starter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new flywheel binding with starter?

Did a transmission swap yesterday on my 98 civic ex, woke up on a cold morning to start the ole car and just got a click like dead battery.. went down bought a new battery, put it in, still nothing... then checked wires and such and thought maybe the new fkywheels new sharp teeth were messing with the starter, loosened the starter and just barely hand tightened it and it started right up. Anyone ever deal with this?
Old 02-13-2015, 07:33 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dannyak
Did a transmission swap yesterday on my 98 civic ex, woke up on a cold morning to start the ole car and just got a click like dead battery.. went down bought a new battery, put it in, still nothing... then checked wires and such and thought maybe the new fkywheels new sharp teeth were messing with the starter, loosened the starter and just barely hand tightened it and it started right up. Anyone ever deal with this?
Maybe youre starter is bad?

Sometimes when electric motor get stuck like that its because the armature inside is worn and the brushes are also worn.

The brushes dont make a good contact with the armature and thats why you hear the solenoid close but the starter doesn't move.

Or you could have some paint or grease where the solenoid makes contact with the trans housing and its not grounded right. This can be checked with a multimeter.

But if the starter is grounded right and voltage is reaching the starter give it a smack with a hammer and if it moves then youre starter is most likely worn.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new flywheel binding with starter?

I suppose that is totally possible the guy who sold me the tranny also left the starter with it I will try to swap it out when I get home

It is also the coldest day so far at 3 degrees wonder if that had something to do with it
Old 02-13-2015, 09:20 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I didnt say to just swap it out

Do you know how to use a multimeter
Old 02-14-2015, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new flywheel binding with starter?

I can't say I legitimately do know how to use a multimeter, I do believe the auto parts store tests starters/batteries/alternators for free though.

More of the symptoms: All the lights/radio/fan comes on, occassionally when I go to start the car, the first time or two, it might just click, though none of the lights turn out, and the brake light comes on. After a few tries it will sometimes start up, but when the engine is cold, it fails to start more often. Only have been having this problem for the last few days after the transmission swap/new flywheel. Only thought it was flywheel because the teeth were much more pronounced than the old one, doesn't seem to be any additional noise. The last time when it was real cold out it took me loosening up the starter and giving it a good wiggle around to get it to start up. I cleaned up the battery terminals as I've had a problem with battery terminals before where the entire electric system would go out if I went to start it, so I don't think that's the problem because I'm not losing all power. I have not actually swapped out the old starter yet, it seems this one is working though it might take a couple tries to get it to actually start.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:12 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by dannyak
I can't say I legitimately do know how to use a multimeter, I do believe the auto parts store tests starters/batteries/alternators for free though. More of the symptoms: All the lights/radio/fan comes on, occassionally when I go to start the car, the first time or two, it might just click, though none of the lights turn out, and the brake light comes on. After a few tries it will sometimes start up, but when the engine is cold, it fails to start more often. Only have been having this problem for the last few days after the transmission swap/new flywheel. Only thought it was flywheel because the teeth were much more pronounced than the old one, doesn't seem to be any additional noise. The last time when it was real cold out it took me loosening up the starter and giving it a good wiggle around to get it to start up. I cleaned up the battery terminals as I've had a problem with battery terminals before where the entire electric system would go out if I went to start it, so I don't think that's the problem because I'm not losing all power. I have not actually swapped out the old starter yet, it seems this one is working though it might take a couple tries to get it to actually start.
Next time it doesnt want to start give the starter a little tap with a hammer and see if it starts

With a multimeter you can check continuity of the starter body to ground to check if your starter is grounded properly