Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New Exhaust, have i made a bad choice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 04:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED ADVISE, have i made a bad choice?

I have a 1993 civic 1.5 LSI and i have had a mugen 4-2-1 manifold and straight through hi flow cat fitted, i tore a slash in the cat where there was not enough pressure escaping out the backbox so i replaced the cat with a new high flow one and then changed backbox with a mugen style twinloop back box (Love the sound) which has a 4" oulet, i think it feels slower now then it did with the standard backbox, appart from when im raggin the s**t out of it, and it drinks petrol like its a 2.0 litre.i reset my ECU when i had the full system fitted and cleaned my K&N. Have i got a too big backbox because of the twin loop and only a 1.5 ??? do i not have enough compression?

Modified by a2K00 at 6:08 AM 1/31/2006
Old 01-31-2006, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NEED ADVISE, have i made a bad choice? (a2K00)

LSI?? Where are you? You said petrol lol, so I'd assume europe somewhere? So you have a mugen header, high-flow cat, and a twin-loop. (stock piping other-wise?) correct?

On smaller honda motors a header usually does more bad than good. The engines just don't move that much air in stock form. The same can be said for your exhaust and cat. These mods are typically more beneficial if you... for example, put a cam in and needed those mods to move the extra air/fuel being burnt.

Your compression would stay the same... I'm gonna stretch here and assume you're refering to back-pressure? Which will be greatly reduced by your mods... and is probably the reason your car feels slower to you. And I'm guessing slower makes you stand on the gas pedal to get the same results, which could be the reason your car is burning so much petrol ( )
Old 02-01-2006, 11:09 PM

Default Re: NEED ADVISE, have i made a bad choice? (mwieczorek43)

Yes i am from england, gasoline for you american's as i assume you are? ,When you say put a cam in, do you mean replace the standard cam (SOHC) for a billet AEM cam? Because i cant afford to replace the actuall cam shafts as thats expensive, would a new lightweight pully and light weight cam help to burn the fule? and should i get rid of the twinloop backbox for a smaller 2" one? the piping from the decat to the backbox is still standard. when i had just the decat and headder it went like quick as, but it tore a slash in the decat in 2 days of use(crappy ebay jobbie) so i got a new one and new big backbox so i wouldnt tear a slash in the new one (i thort i tore the decat because the engine couldnt let out enough pressure through backbox so it split the cat)
Old 02-02-2006, 12:35 AM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by a2K00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 1993 civic 1.5 LSI and i have had a mugen 4-2-1 manifold and straight through hi flow cat fitted, i tore a slash in the cat where there was not enough pressure escaping out the backbox so i replaced the cat with a new high flow one and then changed backbox with a mugen style twinloop back box (Love the sound) which has a 4" oulet, i think it feels slower now then it did with the standard backbox, appart from when im raggin the s**t out of it, and it drinks petrol like its a 2.0 litre.i reset my ECU when i had the full system fitted and cleaned my K&N. Have i got a too big backbox because of the twin loop and only a 1.5 ??? do i not have enough compression?

Modified by a2K00 at 6:08 AM 1/31/2006</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mugen doesn't make a 4-2-1 for the SOHC as far as i know... either way, by doing all that exhaust work, your helping your engine breathe better, so its processing more air than it could before, hence the addional fuel consumption.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:34 AM

Default Re: NEED ADVISE, have i made a bad choice? (JDM_Ej)

So would new Power HT leads and better plugs such as iriduim plugs help burn the fule and free up unused power?? i have borght a chipped air intake sensor which tells the ECU that the air incomming is colder than it is making a better spark also i think?
Old 02-02-2006, 03:31 AM
GarageAlchemist

I wouldn't concern yourself with anything related to horsepower when all your gonna end up doing is turn a 18 second car, into a 17.5 second car.

ditch the "eBay speed chip" and any of that cheap nonsense, get yourself an engine swap or a built setup.

in the meantime i would just worry about reliability with your engine, valve lash, timing, spark(rotor/cap/plugs) and save up for something worth it, sorry if sounds harsh, but your just wasting your time with a 1.5 n/a sohc.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NEED ADVISE, have i made a bad choice? (GarageAlchemist)

^^^^^^I agree. Ditch the 'chip'

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by a2K00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes i am from england, gasoline for you american's as i assume you are? ,When you say put a cam in, do you mean replace the standard cam (SOHC) for a billet AEM cam? Because i cant afford to replace the actuall cam shafts as thats expensive, would a new lightweight pully and light weight cam help to burn the fule? and should i get rid of the twinloop backbox for a smaller 2" one? the piping from the decat to the backbox is still standard. when i had just the decat and headder it went like quick as, but it tore a slash in the decat in 2 days of use(crappy ebay jobbie) so i got a new one and new big backbox so i wouldnt tear a slash in the new one (i thort i tore the decat because the engine couldnt let out enough pressure through backbox so it split the cat)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah American. It sounds like you're thinking of a cam-gear... Im saying the actual cam-shaft itself. And Im not saying you need to get a cam... Im just saying -for example- a cam would make your current mods more beneficial...

What are your plans for the car? If you plan to continue to build it up, I'd see keep what you have and go from there.