Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New to the Em1 scene - convert to OEM suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the Em1 scene - convert to OEM suspension?

Ollo,

I just got my first em1 black after long waiting for a decent price. I finally grabbed one for 3750$ with 108k on motor and 108k on body. The car seems pretty reliable, except the fact that who ever owned it before the guy I bought it from put on a low suspension and the ride is super bumpy on any roads "except smooth obviously". Is this normal for a low riding unbranded springs car on tokico shocks to be this bumpy? I would rather get it back to oem suspension height for a smoother right, but it's pretty hard to find the oem suspension for the em1. Sorry for dumb question.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to the Em1 scene - convert to OEM suspension?

Get this......plus you may need camber kits too.

http://www.thmotorsports.com/tanabe/...0/g-52889.aspx

Old 03-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the struts are prob blown and the springs suck ***. get a good set of struts and springs and you can ride lower(1-2") and the ride will not be effected much.

you dont need a camber kit
Old 03-08-2011, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea i think your struts are blown... tokico blues or tokico in general usually ride smooth like oem in my opinion... they could be blown and your springs could be some stupid cheap ebay coils or something, which are super uncomfy.

i was lucky enough to find a set of good oem suspensions but if you cant find a set of oem suspensions. i recommend (as oem replacements) tokico blues shocks, or KYB GR2 or, KYB AGX (adjustable).. i have ridden on these personally and they feel quite comfy for me

combine with Tein S tech springs, Eibach sportlines, H&R sport... race springs tend to go too low for me....i have sat on these personally and they feel quite comfy for me and they look great

if you want something thats adjustable height if your picky, i recommend eibach ground controls

when you finally have everything down and picked the height you want... i recommend checking your tires and if they look good. go get an alignment....

no camber kits needed
Old 03-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I also have an Em1, and I'm riding in Ground Control coilovers with Tokico struts...my car rides smooth so maybe your struts are blown. I also don't have a camber kit but my car isnot slammed either but lower than stock height.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slowpoke-7
I also have an Em1, and I'm riding in Ground Control coilovers with Tokico struts...my car rides smooth so maybe your struts are blown. I also don't have a camber kit but my car isnot slammed either but lower than stock height.
how long have those ground controls been together with the tokico struts?......i always had it in my head that the ground controls were too much for the tokicos blues.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by milkwasabadidea
how long have those ground controls been together with the tokico struts?......i always had it in my head that the ground controls were too much for the tokicos blues.
its all in the spring rates and how low you want to go. my ground controls on my konis ride like **** only because the spring rates are crazy high and the struts are not re valved for higher rates
Old 03-08-2011, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by milkwasabadidea
Not sure how long they have been on...I bought he car this way in Aug. 2010.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by v8killaz
its all in the spring rates and how low you want to go. my ground controls on my konis ride like **** only because the spring rates are crazy high and the struts are not re valved for higher rates

yea thats what i was guessing too, alot of people just slap on random ground controls on random shocks without thinking much about it and dumping it. thats how i think all my friends shocks blew anyway