Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New EM1 owner: Pass smog with ITR intake manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New EM1 owner: Pass smog with ITR intake manifold?

I just bought a 00 Civic Si with the original engine and tranny. The previous owner did basic performance bolt ons like intake, headers, and upgraded to the ITR intake manifold. He told me he's not sure if it will pass smog with that mani and him being deployed in afghanistan not wanting to deal with the hassle he lowered the price.

Before I take it to get smoged I would like to get some input on it passing with it or not. I was also reading that the stock intake mani on a stock Si is better than the ITR mani. Should I wait and get a stock intake mani and then smog it which it should pass with it or maybe get a skunk2 mani? Its my daily so trying to do basic mods for it to be reliable while having fun with it. Oh and what exhaust should I go with? It has DC headers but stock cat-back. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: New EM1 owner: Pass smog with ITR intake manifold?

Installing a type r intake manifold on a b16 is not an upgrade, it is a great way to loose 2-3hp. The original P30 manifold makes more power, and can make ever more if ported properly
Old 04-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Deetz
Installing a type r intake manifold on a b16 is not an upgrade, it is a great way to loose 2-3hp. The original P30 manifold makes more power, and can make ever more if ported properly
Yeah thats what I was reading. So the original that comes in the em1 is the P30 then? I take I shouldnt waste my money on a skunk2 manifold.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you going to do a few bolt ons and let it run without a tune? If so, save the money cause you'll only lose power as the above poster mentioned. Decreasing the back pressure by adding a catback without doing a proper tune will not gain you any HP. Same with the intake. If you aren't going to get it tuned, just put it back to stock for best performance.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BryCivicSi
Are you going to do a few bolt ons and let it run without a tune? If so, save the money cause you'll only lose power as the above poster mentioned. Decreasing the back pressure by adding a catback without doing a proper tune will not gain you any HP. Same with the intake. If you aren't going to get it tuned, just put it back to stock for best performance.
I will probably get it tuned after the bolt ons but I first want to get familiar with the engine since all I know is vw's lol.

So I need to get rid of the itr manifold and find a p30 right? and no Skunk2?
Old 04-12-2011, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You know anyone at a shop that will test it for you? In Cali, do they only do dyno tests? I am unfamiliar with your states testing procedures. In Chicago, they just check for a cat and plug something into the OBDII connector. No actual exhaust testing anymore.
Personally, I would think you would pass with an ITR intake since it is a Honda product and the ITR had to pass emissions with it. But not knowing exactly what the last owner did with the rest of the bolt-ons, could be iffy.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You know anyone at a shop that will test it for you? In Cali, do they only do dyno tests? I am unfamiliar with your states testing procedures. In Chicago, they just check for a cat and plug something into the OBDII connector. No actual exhaust testing anymore.
Personally, I would think you would pass with an ITR intake since it is a Honda product and the ITR had to pass emissions with it. But not knowing exactly what the last owner did with the rest of the bolt-ons, could be iffy.
Cali is very strict on emission regulations if not the most strict in the U.S. so they test everything thats why I want to make sure before I take it in. I would also think it passes with it but like I said I want to be sure. Im going to scan it for codes and see if anything comes up.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JManny
Cali is very strict on emission regulations if not the most strict in the U.S. so they test everything thats why I want to make sure before I take it in. I would also think it passes with it but like I said I want to be sure. Im going to scan it for codes and see if anything comes up.
Even if every mod is 50 state legal, it can still fail emissions. The only way to be 100% sure it will pass is to get it tested. And I don't mean with a scan tool. Use some of the money you saved when you bought the car and take it to a shop that will test it. I can't imagine it will be more than $100 for a basic test.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Even if every mod is 50 state legal, it can still fail emissions. The only way to be 100% sure it will pass is to get it tested. And I don't mean with a scan tool. Use some of the money you saved when you bought the car and take it to a shop that will test it. I can't imagine it will be more than $100 for a basic test.
I know that, I just want to make sure everything is in working order before I take it in because I dont want it to fail and red flagged as a gross polluter or something. Im telling you Cali sucks when it comes to emissions I had a gti that wouldn't pass and it was a hassle.