Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New Driver side CV Axle needed...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Driver side CV Axle needed...

So I discovered the inner CV boot on my Driver Side axle was torn open, I have an appointment with a mechanic to install a new one and do some otherstuff this wensday, but I have a few questions.

1) Autozone has the best prices on autoparts here so I am going with them, but they happen to have both remanufactured and new CV Axle avalible for my particular car. The new one would be cheaper upfront but the remanned would be cheaper after returning the core and geting the core charge back. The New one is labled 'DURALAST_GOLD' brand. Whereas the remanned one is labeled 'Car Component Technologies' which is an actual company who aparently specializes in Remanufactured drive axles & cv joints. Which one do you think I should get and <U>why</U>?

2) At some of the Auto parts stores I noticed APC Air Breather filters.. I know about the engine air filter but what are these smaller Air filters for and how do you take care of them if you use em' ?

3) Scenario: Your driving your car down the street getting ready to pull into your driveway. So you turn your car Right and start pulling into it. The driveway is sloped up but then evens out, but what concerns you is how the front driver side wheel bumps all the way up into the wheel well as you turn into your driveway. Does this sound normal for pulling into a driveway? Could it be my shocks?

I would appreciate it if you preceeded any answers with the number corresponding to the question which you are answering. Thanks!
Old 08-30-2004, 10:05 AM

Default Re: New Driver side CV Axle needed... (Paprika)

1. what's the price difference between remanufactured? i'd go with remanufactured, are you having a shop install? i would do it myself but it doesn't sound like you know what your doing
2. people use them as a valve cover breather, i don't know if it can be used elsewhere... probably won't get that dirty but i'm sure you could clean it like any filter(wash it out with water and oil it up a little)
3. sounds like normal shock travel but, how's your ride, bouncy? that would more likey mean bad shocks
Old 08-30-2004, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i just replaced my cv joints, i got them remanufactured, there the same thing, just return ur old cv joint and they will refund you like half of what you paid for the new one. if your car isnt slammed, u can prolly do the CV joint change yourself, but if you are lazy like i am, have someone do it for you haha, also the "breather" doesnt do sh*t, dont bother getting one, its useless.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:19 AM

Default Re: New Driver side CV Axle needed... (CiViC KiD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CiViC KiD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just replaced my cv joints, i got them remanufactured, there the same thing, just return ur old cv joint and they will refund you like half of what you paid for the new one. if your car isnt slammed, u can prolly do the CV joint change yourself, but if you are lazy like i am, have someone do it for you haha, also the "breather" doesnt do sh*t, dont bother getting one, its useless. </TD></TR></TABLE>

are you talking about complete axles? because the cv joint kits are just rubber boots and grease... you can't bring them your torn boots, only complete axles,it's easier to just swap axles but cheaper to just replace the boots. I've done both with only the help of a manual but i don't know how inclined you are
Old 08-30-2004, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Driver side CV Axle needed... (jdm169)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm169 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1. what's the price difference between remanufactured? i'd go with remanufactured, are you having a shop install? i would do it myself but it doesn't sound like you know what your doing
2. people use them as a valve cover breather, i don't know if it can be used elsewhere... probably won't get that dirty but i'm sure you could clean it like any filter(wash it out with water and oil it up a little)
3. sounds like normal shock travel but, how's your ride, bouncy? that would more likey mean bad shocks</TD></TR></TABLE>

1.) Remanufactured is $59.99 + $45 Core. $104.99 Upfront. $59.99 after core.
New axle is $74.99 + $15.00 Core. $89.99 Upfront.
I have an independent mechanic doing it, who happens to accept some work from the public but mainly works for some company which I know not the name of at this moment. Cheap labor, $65 to install new axle, rotors, brakes and bleed the brake system.
2.) Ok, so they use that instead of running a tub into the main engine intake? Why do these valve covers need air supply anyway?
3.) Ride isn't bouncy, I tried that push down the corners of the car test an see how much the frame bounces but It only bounces like once, if anything the ride is rough.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:28 AM

1. i would go with the reman., i haven't had any problems with them. that is a really good deal on the labor, go for it
2. i wouldn't even bother with it, i think i remember hearing some good things about them but i guarantee you will be fine without
3.are the shocks stock? if you wanted they sell aftermarket shocks for lowered cars as well as adjustable shocks to firm or soften your ride
Old 08-30-2004, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm169 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1. i would go with the reman., i haven't had any problems with them. that is a really good deal on the labor, go for it
2. i wouldn't even bother with it, i think i remember hearing some good things about them but i guarantee you will be fine without
3.are the shocks stock? if you wanted they sell aftermarket shocks for lowered cars as well as adjustable shocks to firm or soften your ride</TD></TR></TABLE>
3.) As far as I can tell the shocks are stock, but then again they appear to be blue. What also concerns me is that the front left one may have had something to do with the CV boot being broken. Because the wheel moved accessively thanks to the weak shocks.. not sure though. It may have been the heat from the rotor of my nice faulty breaking system
Old 08-30-2004, 11:10 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Paprika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
3.) As far as I can tell the shocks are stock, but then again they appear to be blue. What also concerns me is that the front left one may have had something to do with the CV boot being broken. Because the wheel moved accessively thanks to the weak shocks.. not sure though. It may have been the heat from the rotor of my nice faulty breaking system </TD></TR></TABLE>

if there blue then there aftermarket, probably tokico. i think you will be fine after you get it back from your mechanic, i wouldn't worry about it too much. if you don't like the way it rides look into some new suspension...
Old 08-30-2004, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm169 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

if there blue then there aftermarket, probably tokico. i think you will be fine after you get it back from your mechanic, i wouldn't worry about it too much. if you don't like the way it rides look into some new suspension... </TD></TR></TABLE>
Ahhh ok. Thanks.

5.) What would I be looking for specificly as far as suspension? Just new shcoks or should I include like sway and strut bars? I think I'd like all of the above but I am not trying to spend a fortunte. What decent brands are there and where can I look for such products?
Old 08-30-2004, 11:37 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Paprika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Ahhh ok. Thanks.

5.) What would I be looking for specificly as far as suspension? Just new shcoks or should I include like sway and strut bars? I think I'd like all of the above but I am not trying to spend a fortunte. What decent brands are there and where can I look for such products?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think you will benefit most from a nice coil shock combo, i would do some searching because there's ton of info on here regarding suspension. I don't think the strut bars benefit tons but a strut tower bar will help to stiffen a little...even the whole ebay bars that they sell as a kit is not that bad because it's so cheap.
For daily driving it's not too critical but you could look into some sways and upgrading your brakes as well... good luck
Old 08-30-2004, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm169 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i think you will benefit most from a nice coil shock combo, i would do some searching because there's ton of info on here regarding suspension.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Nice combo eh? Like a combonation thats already together, rather than seperate springs and shocks, right?

Just to note, I am not really interested in lowering the car body. I mean I don't see too much point in it unless it's going to make my acceleration better! Which is my main problem right now.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:28 PM

Nice combo eh? Like a combonation thats already together, rather than seperate springs and shocks, right?

Just to note, I am not really interested in lowering the car body. I mean I don't see too much point in it unless it's going to make my acceleration better! Which is my main problem right now.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well no i didn't really mean combo like that, you can mismatch if you like... alot of people like the koni shocks with ground control springs might be kind of expensive, especially when they won't help you accelerate. they have some springs that are not too low. If your only concerned with acceleration i wouldn't worry too much about sway/strut bars or even your suspension because you won't see any difference in acceleration. hope i've helped
Old 08-30-2004, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well no i didn't really mean combo like that, you can mismatch if you like... alot of people like the koni shocks with ground control springs might be kind of expensive, especially when they won't help you accelerate. they have some springs that are not too low. If your only concerned with acceleration i wouldn't worry too much about sway/strut bars or even your suspension because you won't see any difference in acceleration. hope i've helped</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah but I know Acceleration is Engine/Tranny related but I do need to do something about my suspension too, the ride could be better and I need better cornering and less swaying.

Right now I am kinda upset because there is so much to choose from and it's all expensive. WTF, I can't do ****, I ain't got $600 for some dampers. Searching threads doesn't do anything but give you threads where people reccomend everything from A to Z doesn't tell you jack unless there is a thread that hits your particular situation closely, otherwise you end up with a list of potential products that all cost and arm and a leg. How in the hell do you guys afford of of this ****? I don't think this board is populated with lawyers, doctors and large business owners. WTF

I would like to find some complete kit that has both Strut Bars, both Sway Bars and Shocks (damper + springs) that provides a relatively smooth ride, good cornerings and zero swaying. I don't want to go around picking out individual components, I am not into it like that I unless I can save half the cost of a kit then I don't want to go that way.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:54 PM

i don't really know what to tell you, maybe some others can give you first hand experience on what they have tried... also check the classified section, might find something there... wait a minute
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=933436
Old 08-30-2004, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice but it would cost too much to ship and I don't have time to wait for it to arrive, I am scheduled to get the repairs done Wednesday