Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Are new civics (2002) good or what?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2002, 06:33 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are new civics (2002) good or what?

Im thinking of buying a 2002 EX, but I want a good car to throw mods on... are these new 1.7 liter motors good... or do they break down with a turbo pushin 7psi???

Why.. cause thats my plan!!!

I dont know too much about them and was wondering what some specs are, and some handy info about which mods are best.

I know ALL about tegs... now im thinking civic...

Anyone want to put in some time to post a good description???

Thanks...
Old 01-20-2002, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Are new civics (2002) good or what? (95LSRamAir)

To put it bluntly, I personaly wouldnt wish a new civic on anyone. It is hard to say how they will handle boost b/c to my knowledge nobody has a kit out yet, I am sure there is at least one boosted 01-02 Civic out there, but I have never heard of one. So, seeing as how their is no turbo kit out I should tell you that these cars are SLOW. I know no Civic is fast stock, but these cars are heavier, have negligible hp/torque increase, doesnt have the front suspension that made Civic's great pocket rockets (now have macpherson struts up front), and they are a bigger pain to do major work on (there is now a subframe that must be removed to pull the engine/tranny). There are also more american parts on them now, and these parts wear out quicker than the previous japanese parts, and there is a wider range of gremlins/stupid designs. They also seem to develop a lot of squeaks and rattles (more than the EK's). These are just my experiences, there are probably some other reasons not to get one (the fact that the Si is coming out comes to mind), and there may even be some reasons that you should buy one. I forgot to mention that as of now there is not much of an aftermarket for this generation Civic....I hope this helps, and I don't mean to offend those of you who have the new civic, just trying to express my opinion. Thanks!
Old 01-20-2002, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Are new civics (iceburgslim)

my thing is im guessing that honda has a plan for everything that they are doing, for example I-VTEC, right off the bat people HATED it, and some still do...but yuou know what who says they they dont have a plan for future mods to these engines. It could turn out that the I-VETC is better then anyting they have had before......it could also turn out the the new VTEC is WORSE then anything they have had before......there is no reason to start judging it now because the developers of the performance products have not had a chance to go over the new civics and figure out how to make them better.

Think about any new console gameing system. When it first comes out the developers only have limited knowledge on how it works, and the games are only fair. Then you give them 2 years or so to really figure out how it works, and what its capabilities are. After they understand that then the games that come out are absolutly amazing! I would say that the new civics are going to be awesome, and also have just as much, if not more potential then the civics that are out today.
Old 01-20-2002, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Are new civics (iceburgslim)

There are also more american parts on them now, and these parts wear out quicker than the previous japanese parts, and there is a wider range of gremlins/stupid designs.
Please list and explain the
1. parts that wear out faster
2. Gremlins/stupid designs (besides Macpherson struts)

I think it's good that Honda is making AND designing cars in America.
Hmmm....MDX..SUV of the year comes to mind!
If you explain what you mean, I may believe you, but I don't think the car has been out anywhere near long enough for you to fly off and just state that parts wear out faster.

Old 01-20-2002, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Are new civics (00-ITR-373)

There are also more american parts on them now, and these parts wear out quicker than the previous japanese parts, and there is a wider range of gremlins/stupid designs.

Please list and explain the
1. parts that wear out faster
2. Gremlins/stupid designs (besides Macpherson struts)

I think it's good that Honda is making AND designing cars in America.
Hmmm....MDX..SUV of the year comes to mind!
If you explain what you mean, I may believe you, but I don't think the car has been out anywhere near long enough for you to fly off and just state that parts wear out faster.
The reason why he says that is because Americans are now engineering the products. Traditionally, the American engineering ideal was "bigger is better". That mentality may be transferred into their domestic product. Trust me. When I interviewed at Honda R&D in Ohio, they acknowledged that. Although a lot of the cars designed and built in the US (CL,TL, MDX, Odyssey, Accord, Accord Coupe, etc) by Americans, there are a lot of Japanese people working on them too (to maintain order). Additionally, the traditional Honda mindset has been instilled into their current employees.

[Modified by markpaco, 4:26 AM 1/21/2002]

[Modified by markpaco, 4:28 AM 1/21/2002]
Old 01-20-2002, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Are new civics (markpaco)

I'm in DI2, where do you work?
Old 01-20-2002, 07:30 PM

Default Re: Are new civics (markpaco)

i drive those htings all day long (i work for a honda dealership) and they are so slow.....all the trannys on 2002 honda are messed they dont shift right. i get to be one of the first people to drive the new si's