Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

new cel code now...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new cel code now...

before was code 43. now it similar to 43 but it has 1 fast blink before 4-3. what is that? 1 fast-4 slow-3 fast

can somebody tell me what that is?
Old 08-02-2008, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: new cel code now... (G2_Fella)

O2 sensor
Old 08-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new cel code now... (BlueIntegraBoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">O2 sensor</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh yea, i went to autozone and kragen and they said they don't do those free testing anymore. however, i have managed to find a shop to do it for 20 bucks. the other shops try to charge me 30, 60, and 95 dollars.

you positive it's the O2 sensor? i will spend the $20 on that shop on monday and tell you guys the results. i've had 2 mechanics checked it and none of them said it's the O2 sensor. they said it's the fuel pump. i'm in between... either the fuel pump or O2.

let's wait and see monday!
Old 08-02-2008, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well you have codes 1 and 43
Old 08-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well you have codes 1 and 43</TD></TR></TABLE>

how do you read that? 143? where is that in the chart? i saw only 1 to 92.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G2_Fella &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

how do you read that? 143? where is that in the chart? i saw only 1 to 92.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G2_Fella &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">before was code 43. now it similar to 43 but it has 1 fast blink before 4-3. what is that? 1 fast-4 slow-3 fast

can somebody tell me what that is?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Fast blink = ones digit
Slow blink = tens digit

1 fast blink = 1
4 slow blinks, 3 fast blinks = 43
Old 08-02-2008, 01:28 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The general consensus on honda-tech seems to be that code 43 indicates an O2 sensor failure before it actually gets bad enough to throw an O2 sensor code. I seem to recall that your running a CX, should be a 1 wire O2 sensor, i think they are reasonably afordable. Fuel pumps going bad on honda's seem to be reasonably rare, oxygen sensor failure on the other hand seems to be far more common, my moneys on the O2 sensor personally.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Fast blink = ones digit
Slow blink = tens digit

1 fast blink = 1
4 slow blinks, 3 fast blinks = 43</TD></TR></TABLE>

so its 2 seperate codes? code 1 and code 43. what's the difference with O2A and O2B?
Old 08-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Seagull Management

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G2_Fella &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so its 2 seperate codes? code 1 and code 43. what's the difference with O2A and O2B?</TD></TR></TABLE>

In your case you only have one O2 sensor. OBD2 vehicles generally have an O2 sensor before and after the catalytic converter, you only have one before it, screwed into the exhaust manifold.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new cel code now... (94EG8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94EG8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my moneys on the O2 sensor personally.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea, this is getting pretty interesting. can't wait til monday again!

did i wasted money on the fuel injectors, FPR, and map sensor for nothing? is that a good start off? if it was the O2 or fuel pump, i'd be like damn!
Old 08-02-2008, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new cel code now... (94EG8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94EG8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

In your case you only have one O2 sensor. OBD2 vehicles generally have an O2 sensor before and after the catalytic converter, you only have one before it, screwed into the exhaust manifold.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so mine would be O2A?
Old 08-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Seagull Management

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G2_Fella &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so mine would be O2A?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes. The other stuff you replaced is stuff that in my experience rarely goes bad. O2 sensors going bad are pretty common though, a lot of owners manuals include them as part of a tune up actually.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE: so i went to that shop today. ended up talking to a different guy. he said he doesn't have obd1 scanner. i told him what the codes were and he said it's the IACV.

so is this how obd1 cars are like? putting money into all the parts you're not even sure of?

i'm just getting tired of all these guessings. some say fuel pump, some say O2 sensor, some say IACV, the lists just goes on and on.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (G2_Fella)

Did you read this thread? https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1901557

Make sure you're doing it correctly.
There is a listing of the codes on the bottom of the post.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:02 PM
Seagull Management

IACV is 14. I'm not a big fan of just throwing parts at a problem either. Its preferable to test parts first to try to rule them out, most sensors can be checked with an inexpensive digital multimeter, a fuel pump can generally be tested by supplying power directly to it. If you don't already have a haynes manual get one. and/or download the real honda service manual, its out there. They should have all the info you need to check the sensors. As i said before if i had to guess i would go with the O2 sensor for 2 reasons,
1) code 43 more often than not indicates a bad O2 sensor.
2) O2 sensors can essentially be considered a maintance item so even if it wasn't the problem i wouldn't neccessarily call replacing it a waste. They do get lazy after a while and don't work as well as they should, even if they aren't yet throwing a code. Good luck
Old 08-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (geebs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by geebs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you read this thread? https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1901557

Make sure you're doing it correctly.
There is a listing of the codes on the bottom of the post.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's how i learned to test my cel.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94EG8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94EG8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">IACV is 14. I'm not a big fan of just throwing parts at a problem either. Its preferable to test parts first to try to rule them out, most sensors can be checked with an inexpensive digital multimeter, a fuel pump can generally be tested by supplying power directly to it. If you don't already have a haynes manual get one. and/or download the real honda service manual, its out there. They should have all the info you need to check the sensors. As i said before if i had to guess i would go with the O2 sensor for 2 reasons,
1) code 43 more often than not indicates a bad O2 sensor.
2) O2 sensors can essentially be considered a maintance item so even if it wasn't the problem i wouldn't neccessarily call replacing it a waste. They do get lazy after a while and don't work as well as they should, even if they aren't yet throwing a code. Good luck </TD></TR></TABLE>

it sucks when you have no knowledge. people always try to take advantage of you.

i'm just pissed that i went there with no sucess. other shops that charged 40 and up say they have the scanner. this shop knew i had a coupon for 20, and they didn't want to test it for me? i really want to know what the problem is.

life is hard, but you just gotta keep fighting.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate code 43.

My '95 EX started throwing a code 43. I first changed the (only) O2 sensor, it came back, intermittently and seemingly random. I changed the fuel filter (both the one in the engine and the one in the tank). It came back. I also changed the fuel line & banjo bolt from the filter to the rail. It came back. I then changed the fuel pressure regulator. It came back. I then changed it with a new fuel rail, with new injectors. It came back.

I sold it never figuring out what the problem was, gas mileage is right where it should be, around 36/38.

I sold it, him knowing the CEL is on.

He had some extra cash, decided to swap the fuel pump. It came back.

He drives it every day, he said it gets kick-*** gas mileage, almost 40 on the highway, and code 43 still comes on at random times. I just talked to him the other day, it still comes on randomly.

I hate code 43 more than anything. A CEL with no apparent problems and no apparent fix.

Only thing I can fathom is there's a crack in the fuel line someplace and moisture is getting into the system...though it does it on hot, dry days, too.

EDIT:
PS: That list up top might be a little out of order, I changed the parts from a price and practicality perspective, but the point is I changed 'em all .
Old 08-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I hate code 43.

My '95 EX started throwing a code 43. I first changed the (only) O2 sensor, it came back, intermittently and seemingly random. I changed the fuel filter (both the one in the engine and the one in the tank). It came back. I also changed the fuel line & banjo bolt from the filter to the rail. It came back. I then changed the fuel pressure regulator. It came back. I then changed it with a new fuel rail, with new injectors. It came back.

I sold it never figuring out what the problem was, gas mileage is right where it should be, around 36/38.

I sold it, him knowing the CEL is on.

He had some extra cash, decided to swap the fuel pump. It came back.

He drives it every day, he said it gets kick-*** gas mileage, almost 40 on the highway, and code 43 still comes on at random times. I just talked to him the other day, it still comes on randomly.

I hate code 43 more than anything. A CEL with no apparent problems and no apparent fix.

Only thing I can fathom is there's a crack in the fuel line someplace and moisture is getting into the system...though it does it on hot, dry days, too.

EDIT:
PS: That list up top might be a little out of order, I changed the parts from a price and practicality perspective, but the point is I changed 'em all .</TD></TR></TABLE>

was it bogging, jerking, choking? i not only have to deal with cel, i have to deal with that thing. i have no plans to sell them, but to just keep them.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:19 PM
orb
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I hate code 43...

...I hate code 43 more than anything. A CEL with no apparent problems and no apparent fix.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well said. Been there, done that. I wound up swapping my engine so I'm not much help here. I can tell you that the car the motor went into had a larger fuel pump so maybe it was that. Hasn't had (oops, I mean "thrown") a code since.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G2_Fella &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

was it bogging, jerking, choking? i not only have to deal with cel, i have to deal with that thing. i have no plans to sell them, but to just keep them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope, there were no symptoms what-so-ever. No jerking, high-idling, exhaust was normal, fuel mileage was right where it should be, spark plugs were the perfect color.

Why do you think I hate code 43 so much? I replaced almost every damn part and there wasn't a single symptom of it besides the completely random soft code it threw (it didn't stay, just killing the ignition shut off the CEL).

I had no plans for it, either, but an accident lowers the re-sell, especially one where it's totaled (even though it was fixed 100%), so I wanted to unloaded to somebody ASAP for full value...now the guy hasn't had a single problem with it besides that CEL and a CV boot tear - and he put 15k on it in a year (damn I shouldn't have sold that car).
Old 08-04-2008, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks guys.

i'm just so lost and confused. why it's gotta be around my daughter's b-day?(her birthday is on wednesday)
Old 08-04-2008, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G2_Fella &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks guys.

i'm just so lost and confused. why it's gotta be around my daughter's b-day?(her birthday is on wednesday)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ah, don't worry about it, it's probably the primary O2 sensor (code 1) causing it to run a bit too rich or too lean and cause code 43.

Small problem, don't let it get to ya.

EDIT:
PS: The worst that'll likely happen is you won't get optimal fuel mileage, so it's not like you need to worry about being stranded on the side of the road or anything.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ah, don't worry about it, it's probably the primary O2 sensor (code 1) causing it to run a bit too rich or too lean and cause code 43.

EDIT:
PS: The worst that'll likely happen is you won't get optimal fuel mileage, so it's not like you need to worry about being stranded on the side of the road or anything.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so you're puttin money on the O2? i heard it's only 60-100 bucks for a Denso. and like the other member said, it won't hurt the car to replace it. it helps the car runs better and save gas mileage.

thanks a lot Syndacate, you're a big helper! and eazing my mind.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:51 PM
orb
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

EDIT:
PS: The worst that'll likely happen is you won't get optimal fuel mileage, so it's not like you need to worry about being stranded on the side of the road or anything.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Honestly, if that were the case you'd most likely be seeing CEL 45. (I've also had that one). Joy.