Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A NEW CATALYTIC CONVERTOR WHAT??

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A NEW CATALYTIC CONVERTOR WHAT??

so my check engine light is on and i go to shucks to get it looked at, the man does his thing and tells me that its because of my catalytic convertor, that its clogged and it needs to be replaced, well heres my question, i bought my car with straight pipe already installed would it be wiser for me to get just a new catalytic convertor put in or a complete cat back exhaust, but i already have a tanabe exhaust.. i know its a newbie question, but all guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A NEW CATALYTIC CONVERTOR WHAT?? (HXMONEY)

what do u mean? your car has a straight pipe instead of a cat right now? i am confused with your question
Old 08-29-2006, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HXMONEY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so my check engine light is on and i go to shucks to get it looked at, the man does his thing and tells me that its because of my catalytic convertor, that its clogged and it needs to be replaced, well heres my question, i bought my car with straight pipe already installed would it be wiser for me to get just a new catalytic convertor put in or a complete cat back exhaust, but i already have a tanabe exhaust.. i know its a newbie question, but all guidance would be greatly appreciated.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ummm are you sure it came with a straight pipe already installed?

you can't have both..
Old 08-29-2006, 03:13 PM

Since you are a n00b ill shed some light for you. Your cars exhaust system goes like this...Header- Cat-exhaust piping - muffler.

So if you had a straight pipe it would go....Header- straight pipe- exhaust piping - muffler

So either the guy you bought it from lied about the straight pipe or the guy at schmucks (i used to live in WA they suck) lied to you.

Im going to assume it was whoever you bought it from...so just go and get a new cat. or actually go and buy a straight pipe (so you can say you actually have one). you already have a Tenabe exhaust so no need for a new cat back since that what the tenabe is. Hope this helps
Old 08-29-2006, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B16b-EJ8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16b-EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you already have a Tenabe exhaust so no need for a new cat back since that what the tenabe is. Hope this helps</TD></TR></TABLE>

are you a ******* idiot?
Old 08-29-2006, 03:48 PM
grammer nawzi

Default Re: (G2 Speed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G2 Speed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you a ******* idiot? </TD></TR></TABLE>

are you?

If you have a CAT Back exhaust, then you still have a cat that might need replacing. Just look under your car and see if you have a cat. Why don't you pull the codes yourself and see what your ECU is actually saying?
Old 08-29-2006, 04:13 PM

Just for clarification, do you have a Tanabe full catback or just the axleback?
Old 08-29-2006, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sicky)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sicky &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you?

If you have a CAT Back exhaust, then you still have a cat that might need replacing. Just look under your car and see if you have a cat. Why don't you pull the codes yourself and see what your ECU is actually saying?</TD></TR></TABLE>

learn how to read, then try again
Old 08-29-2006, 04:58 PM

any 92-95 will run without codes with a straight pipe in place of the cat. converter, IF it has a cat converter on it, remove it, replace with a test pipe, go drive......have fun