Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New car whoa's... :-{ (doesn't start anymore)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New car whoa's... :-{ (doesn't start anymore)

Hey All!!

Just picked up a really nice 1993 Hb Si over the weekend. Flew to tampa on friday, and drove it right on back to NJ and got home sat around 11. Started it twice on friday when I met for the vehicle. Started it again when we left. Then again at the dmv after getting temp tags. Drove about 5 hours and got off at exit 318 on 95 north and stopped at micky d'z. Got back in after about 10 minutes and **** didn't start. Not even a peep, but still had every thing electricly working. Just pushed the car and popped the clutch. Drove all the way from 318 back to my driveway in jersey without shutting her down. Just refueled w/ it on, and rotated with my buddy at the rest stops. Worked on it ALLLL day and still no workie...=[ It had an alarm in it that was disabled, but really only temporary.(original thought of maybe kill switch was triggered) I tried to get it all back working and then just ended up completely removing the alarm from the vehicle. Removed every installation wire used!! Still didn't work afterwards. First just replaced the starter even though I knew it wouldn't be it. Just purely wishful thinking. Solenoid still wasn't trying to engage so we moved on. Then checked all fuses under the dash and under the hood. Checked the relays in the fuse box under the hood. After that, started checking for continuity from connector to connector of the wiring harness tracing it all out w/ schematics. Everything still looks good. Took the column apart, and made sure proper continuity was there when the key was in all positions ( O I II III ) and still all good. Shoved my head back under the dash and found a relay under there and it also seemed to be working. Popped the cover and it's closing it's circuit when needed. Didn't see any others, but just read that there should be two relays under there. Main relay & the starter relay. Not sure which which one I checked now, but it was connected to the top of the fuse box. Really only thinking it could be one of two things now. Either the neutral safety switch, or that other relay that I didn't see under there.

So I guess the questions to be would be:
A) Does anyone know which relay is the one that is somewhat attached to the underdash fuse box.
B) Where the second relay under the dash is located?
C) Where the neutral safety switch is located?
D) Anything else that it could possibly be?

Think I've covered it all but if anyone has any questions, I'm all ears.

Thanks for any feedback at all!!!

Mike
Old 05-01-2005, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New car whoa's... :-{ (puffallattastuff)

the main relay is i think a gray box pretty big like half a pack of cigs. i would check that, but you can usually hear the fuel pump prime when you click everything on but don't start the car right away. so if you can hear it prime then that is ok. so check that and get back to us i guess. sorry man, just be patient with the new whip
Old 05-01-2005, 06:58 PM

Default Re: New car whoa's... :-{ (alleyezonme)

if its the relay then it will turn over but wont start, if its the fuel pump part that broke. id check that. mine went out after driving her for like 4 hours, and shopped at a shop, shut it off. got out went to the door, then went back to the car and it wouldnt start.

Chris

Edit: its behind the hood lever on the bottom left corner of the drivers side. mine was black. but its pretty big and mine was held in by a screw.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New car whoa's... :-{ (Sleek98)

also you would want to check if the battery terminal is tight. had a problem with mine, radio would turn on and everything in the car but when i try to start it, it wouldn't turn over.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:20 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hate to nit pick, but it's "woes" not "whoa's" .

And it sounds like classic starter failure to me. Whether the starter is receiving power like it should be or whether the starter unit itself is bad I dunno, but I'd check the wiring before doing anything more drastic.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

hrmm.....k..real quick, could care less about the ol woes vs. whoa's hehehe....as to it's not going to fix my car HAH!!

starter failure to me would be if it physically was unable to engage, which it is not due to just jumping the starter.

I have checked everything obvious on this car. Granted, I'm sure it's just something stupid, like a relay or something. It definitely is not the battery terminals. It sounds like fuel is getting to the injectors when I turn the key, and also when I push the car and pop the clutch, it runs incredibly. So I doubt it's a fuel pump issue.

I think I'm actually about to head to the Honda Service/Parts counter to see what they have to say. I'll keep everyone in the loop. Also continue to feel free posting with any other possibilites that It could be.

thnx,
Mike
Old 05-02-2005, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (puffallattastuff)

Well if you can roll start it, it's getting fuel, and spark. That only leaves 1 thing, the starter. And if you've replaced it then it's not getting power, or enough power. Doubt you got a bad replacement starter.

Oh yeah I'm sure you've checked them, but I would check all the fuses (under dash and in engine bay).
Old 05-02-2005, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wilsel)

Ok, took some more of the dash apart today and finally found the starter relay. That **** is waaaaaay up there, and quite difficult to get too. That part didn't stop me. Got it out finally, and sure enough, I'll close the circuit manually with the clutch pushed in, turn the key and vrrrooooooom.....the whip lives!!! From what I see in the schematics that I doo have, is that the clutch cutoff wouldn't even come in play at this point so this still points at the starter relay being the only problem. I've tested for continuity from the ignition switch to pins 1 & 2( the black/white wire) that the starter cut relay connects too. For now, I've order a new starter relay from the local autozone and they say that they'll have it in-stock for me around like 10-11 tomorrow morn. They hit me up for like 26 and some change where honda wanted 34 and some change. Not much of a difference, but enough to say autozone! =-} And screw pepboys.....they claimed that they weren't even able to order the part for me. I think their too worried about selling like vacuums and refridgerators these days!

Think I've found the problem?

Atleast I can drive the bish now...hehehehe

Later ya'll
Mike

Once i'm like not on-trial and stuff, am I able to post pics???