Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New car need boost guru opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New car need boost guru opinions

What's up honda-tech just traded my 00 civic for this. Let me know your opinions on what all I should do first. It runs great but after a while it starts getting hot.

Details
97 civic dx coupe
D16Y8 Motor
Garret honneywell .60 trim turbo
Hks Sqv blow off
Turbonetics wastegate
7 psi spring
440 injectors
Chipped P28

Thats about all i know about it. As far as i know nothing has been done to the block yet. What is a safe amount of boost for these engines if there hasn't been anything done to the block.

Not sure what the deal is with the green rims. Personally I think they look retarded but....

Is it just me or does that cooler look awful small? I know how turbo's work and all but when it comes to brands not at all sure whats good and whats not so please chime in.

Thanks all in advance
Attached Images       
Old 06-28-2010, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New car need boost guru opinions

Anybody? I checked my radiator when I got to work this morning and it was pretty low and my resevoir was FULL looks like it was pushing coolant out of the top hose on the resevoir. Are headgaskets common on D16Y8's? I've seen some other posts about it being a headgasket but they all had coolant/oil mixing or smoking and I have neither?/????? So i'm a bit confused. Anyone have any suggestions? Thinking maybe a bad thermostat. Fan comes on normal. Now I know the half core oem radiator and fan is probly not the best deal for boosted cars so I will be upgrading to a 3 row. But don't think this is going to solve my resevoir filling problem.

Any suggestions?
Old 06-28-2010, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If the coolant reservoir is full, then change the thermostat. It's most likely closed and cannot cool your engine. I think there are thermostats now that when they go bad, it will leave it in open position, so your engine won't overheat.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its not about how much boost your running its how much power your making

on stock internals i wouldnt push more than 225whp on a d16 plus the y8 doesnt have the good oiling system like the z6 does so take that into consideration as well

the intercooler does not seem small, change the thermo and see if that helps a headgasket can be checked by pperforming a leakdown test

get rid of those rims there heinous
Old 06-29-2010, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm assuming you mean that the oil pump isn't the best on the Y8 versus the Z6? do you know of any upgraded oil pumps? Or was you talking about something else? As far as the setup I have so far do you think it's a good setup?

AGREED! Wheels are redonkulious!

I'm going to do the thermostat this weekend. I was thinking of getting a 180 degree thermostat. Opinion?

Thanks so much

I want to get a 3row radiator and fan anyone have experience with the CXracing radiators?

Here is a link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CXRac...Q5fAccessories
Old 06-29-2010, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you could shim the oil pump

mishimoto radiator is the best bang for the buck plus they hav a lifetime waranty

cxracing is ebay

what you tuning with?
Old 06-29-2010, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always thought the 22Xhp guideline was a bit low... All my boosted D's with stock internals were all around 250 before they were built/sold... I'd say about 89% of your motors efficiency is going to come from the tune, good tune = good results, bad tune = bye bye motor...
Old 06-29-2010, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To be completly honest I really don't know what he tuned it with! I just got the car on sunday. It has a P28 in it but not sure about the tune! I was thinking about taking it somewhere that does tuning and have them look it over but not really sure of who I can trust around me. I live in middletown ohio and work in fairfield ohio.

Would I be able to get any info off of looking at the chip? I know when I chipped my P72 there was no identification on the chip itself so would I need to plug it into a laptop to see exactly what is on the chip?
Old 06-29-2010, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well there's not much of a difference between 225 and 250. I guess that's just personsol preference at that point. Op. Its probably tund on crome.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Chrome ok. I just called a couple shops around me about getting the tuning checked and they said it would be around 450 for dyno tuning and if it tuned on anything other than hondata or neptune I would have to pay for that software also so around 1000k? FML does that sound normal? they are awful proud of there software aren't they!
Old 06-29-2010, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why would you assume chrome? Just curious
Old 06-29-2010, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well chrome is the most popular freeware. if you get a chipped ecu. Nine times out of ten your base map is chrome. Anything like Neptune or hondata would require the ecu to be chipped plus you would have to pay for the program. Pop the top off your ecu and look for a chip that says hondata or Neptune. If there's not its more than likely crome.

More and more tuners refuse to tune using deerwarre like crome because it can. Be a bit buggy and isn't as reliable as the ones you pay for. Your option is too coughh up the money or find a freelance tuner who will street tune with chrome. Are if the shops will lett you use hondata s100 which is 200 new. The s300 and Neptune run about 4 to 5 hundred.