Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

new cams = loss of....power??

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new cams = loss of....power??

man, this sucks. i just got my full valvetrain, and cams put in last night. first of all, let me say that i am happy its over with...man thats a lot of work!! anyways, we got the car timed in right with the oem cam gears, and the car is idling good. the problem lies with full throttle. when i took it for a test run, i tromped on it until redline. well, when the car hit vtec, it just bogged pretty much. i was told that it might be sucking too much air in for my car to handle. i have crane stage 2 cams, valvesprings, retainers, skunk2 manifold, bored out oem throttlebody to 62mm or 64, j's racing intake, exhaust, vtec controller, and a header. i dont have any headwork done...(angle valve job, port and polish) etc etc.

how can i fix this problem?? should i just get the p&p and angle job? i cant really have too much downtime, because right now, this is my only means of transportation. i also have adj. timing gears, which i know will help out a lot. we already tried putting them on, but cant get them timed right.

i know i have to get the car tuned...badly, but i just need some other advise till i can get there.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: new cams = loss of....power?? (staticchmbr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by staticchmbr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i know i have to get the car tuned...badly, but i just need some other advise till i can get there. </TD></TR></TABLE> you need it tuned.
thats about it.
your fuel pressue might be too low now, but there are also many other things to look at.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:20 AM

I know you said the timing was right, but it could be that you're off by a tooth on your timing. You are really sure that the mechanical timing is spot on?
Old 07-21-2004, 08:25 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: (delScho)

Tuning. You need to change the VTEC crossover point to suit the new cams, and you need to have your A/F ratio adjusted, as you are probably too rich or too lean. Pick up a fuel pressure regulator, and head to the dyno and have them tune your V-AFC and cam gears to get max power out of the motor.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i guess my next problem, is finding a dyno near me that will tune the car...im about 30 mins NW from philly.

the oem cam gears are timed correctly..we checked them about 6 times to be sure. we also adjusted the distributer a bit. im going to put my adj cam gears on...hopefully i can time them. i dont have my regulator installed yet, but i can get that done in no time. my a/f gauge is useless..as it bounces back and forth.

Old 07-21-2004, 08:36 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Get a timing light and make sure that your timing is set to 16 degrees BTDC...that could also be a major problem.