Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

new brake pads install help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new brake pads install help?

im trying to get some info on replacing brake pads on a eg, the difficulty on it, and steps. also if i should even attempt it, tools and etc.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new brake pads install help?

Judging by the questions you are asking, if it's not your car you shouldn't attempt it. If it is your car, you should get a repair manual and then just follow the steps.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:33 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you ever replaced pads before on any other car?

It's really not that difficult on these cars, but if you've never done it, it can be a learning experience. The hardest part can be getting the rotor screws out if you're planning on having the rotors resurfaced. If you have problems with that, you may have to buy a special tool called an impact screwdriver, and I broke mine on the last EG I did brakes on... then I had to cut the rotors off, which was a major pain.

If you're just replacing pads, you'll need a 19MM socket to get the wheel off, and I think a 14MM to get the calipers off. Take the wheel off, loosen the top caliper bolt, remove the bottom caliper bolt. Swing the caliper up, remove old pads. Use a large C-Clamp to press the caliper piston back into place. Slide on new pads, reassemble.

If you're doing rotors too, you'll have to completely remove the caliper and the caliper bracket. I think they're 17MM bolts to hold that on, from the backside. One on top, one on bottom. Then you get to deal with the infamous rotor screws.

A lot of civics don't have the rotor screws anymore because a lot of people throw them out... you don't really need them to hold the rotor on, because the wheel and lugnuts will do that when it's all put together. If you're lucky, you can get them out with a phillips screwdriver. If they're stuck, you need an impact driver, which costs about $12-15. It's a big screwdriver that you whack with a hammer, and it turns as you hit it.

The last one I did, the tip of my impact driver broke off in the screw. So, I got pissed and cut all 4 of the screws out with a grinder on both sides. Installed new rotors, did not replace screws. Good to go.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dont forget a caliper piston tool to compress your caliper piston in order to fit the new pads!
Old 08-07-2009, 11:47 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Originally Posted by 90Rexx
dont forget a caliper piston tool to compress your caliper piston in order to fit the new pads!
^^^ yeah, I mentioned that, but I use a generic C-Clamp.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=Vindicator9000;39542031]I think a 14MM to get the calipers off.QUOTE]

12mm...just did mines
Old 08-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Vindicator9000

It's really not that difficult on these cars, but if you've never done it, it can be a learning experience. The hardest part can be getting the rotor screws out if you're planning on having the rotors resurfaced. If you have problems with that, you may have to buy a special tool called an impact screwdriver, and I broke mine on the last EG I did brakes on... then I had to cut the rotors off, which was a major pain.

If you're just replacing pads, you'll need a 19MM socket to get the wheel off, and I think a 14MM to get the calipers off. Take the wheel off, loosen the top caliper bolt, remove the bottom caliper bolt. Swing the caliper up, remove old pads. Use a large C-Clamp to press the caliper piston back into place. Slide on new pads, reassemble.

If you're doing rotors too, you'll have to completely remove the caliper and the caliper bracket. I think they're 17MM bolts to hold that on, from the backside. One on top, one on bottom. Then you get to deal with the infamous rotor screws.

A lot of civics don't have the rotor screws anymore because a lot of people throw them out... you don't really need them to hold the rotor on, because the wheel and lugnuts will do that when it's all put together. If you're lucky, you can get them out with a phillips screwdriver. If they're stuck, you need an impact driver, which costs about $12-15. It's a big screwdriver that you whack with a hammer, and it turns as you hit it.

The last one I did, the tip of my impact driver broke off in the screw. So, I got pissed and cut all 4 of the screws out with a grinder on both sides. Installed new rotors, did not replace screws. Good to go.
never replaced pads before,i dont think the person wants the rotors resurfaced ,already have the book but crappy autozone version so thats why i came on here for more info
Old 08-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its not difficult at all really.....first time i did it my first wheel took me about an hour and the second wheel took me about fifteen lol.....but what i did was take the brake fluid cap off and pumped the brakes after i was done to let the air bubbles come out from when you compress the caliper piston....idk if its necessary but thats what my friend told me to do after i was done.....
Old 08-09-2009, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the help should be doing it here soon hopefully everything goes smooth
Old 08-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^ yeah, I mentioned that, but I use a generic C-Clamp.
c-clamp, ftw
Old 08-11-2009, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its a 12mm the bolt at least on this car instead of a 14mm, got the old brake pads out the person whose car it is bought the wrong pads so waiting on the new 1s