Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New To Boards / New Car

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New To Boards / New Car

Hello,

My name is Chris and im 16 years old and I saved up all my money since I was 13 to buy a car and decided to buy a 2000 Honda Civic EX Clover Green Automatic w/ 127HP D16Y8 Engine. I have not done anything to the car yet except put some 17" White Motegi MR7 Racing Wheels with TOYO Tires.

Now hopefully this is the right place to ask questions about technical stuff, since im thinking of adding a couple more HP to my already low 127HP Civic. Im not talking about Engine swaps/turbo/supercharger since its an automatic and i dont have the money to change it to manual and do swaps. So i was thinking of just doing some easy bolt on upgrades like Exhaust/Header/Airintake/etc.

If you guys could recommend me some of theis stuff I would greatly appreciate it. Maybe tell me exactly what i should upgrade, and what OEM manufacter is really respectable and whats the best bang for the buck.

Thank You
Chris
Old 07-14-2004, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New To Boards / New Car (BrutalDawg)

automatic to manual conversion
Old 07-14-2004, 10:09 PM

Welcome, be sure to read over the civic forum rules. Heres a thread that one of our moderators made that might help you out. Good luck with your new project.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=871525
Old 07-15-2004, 02:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to H-T -

Old 07-15-2004, 04:34 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: New To Boards / New Car (93CivicSI)

where did you work at 13 ?

and you saved all your money to buy your dream car.. a 2000 civic auto. Dood.. it's your moms car.. give it up.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New To Boards / New Car (DewMota)

sell it, and get a manual
Old 07-15-2004, 04:56 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: New To Boards / New Car (DewMota)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DewMota &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">where did you work at 13 ?

and you saved all your money to buy your dream car.. a 2000 civic auto. Dood.. it's your moms car.. give it up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No where in his post do I see him calling the 2000 Civic EX his "dream car". Don't you think you could lighten up a little, he asked a simple question. Everyones gotta start somewhere right. At least give him some usefull info.

Welcome to Honda-Tech and good luck with your project.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New To Boards / New Car (TouringAccord)

If you plan on racing it, you will need to do an auto-&gt;manual conversion or get a different car. If it's just a car to look cool and throw some tunes in, then you'll probably be better off in another forum really.

IMO I'd say keep it stock. It'll be good for resale value when you want to upgrade later down the line.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:16 AM
Blue Sedan Crew

Default Re: New To Boards / New Car (jolt-tsp)

intake-ebay
header-ebay
exhaust-ebay

your car is gonna suck anyways, so just go the cheap route
Old 07-15-2004, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New To Boards / New Car (darkcvc)

im guessing the reason y u didnt buy a manual is cause u dont know how to drive one....if so,that is the dumbest reason not to buy one..it takes a few hours to learn how to drive a manual..u should have done some research on what car u wanted first...im guessing u bought a civic just to look cool cause everyone has one that is hook up....u should have done alot more research before buying anything....but if i were u dont waste money buying header or **** like that...save money and buy ur self a different car down the road (and make sure its manual this time )....
Old 07-15-2004, 06:29 AM

Default Re: New To Boards / New Car (ace42004)

why are you guys flaming him for his car choice? And making assumptions on his reason for buying it?? Maybe he just wants a efficient, reliable car that looks decent...
Old 07-15-2004, 06:30 AM
Blue Sedan Crew

Default Re: New To Boards / New Car (pburke23)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pburke23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why are you guys flaming him for his car choice? And making assumptions on his reason for buying it?? Maybe he just wants a efficient, reliable car that looks decent...</TD></TR></TABLE>

then why add preformance mods?????????
Old 07-15-2004, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New To Boards / New Car (ace42004)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ace42004 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im guessing the reason y u didnt buy a manual is cause u dont know how to drive one....if so,that is the dumbest reason not to buy one..it takes a few hours to learn how to drive a manual..u should have done some research on what car u wanted first...im guessing u bought a civic just to look cool cause everyone has one that is hook up....u should have done alot more research before buying anything....but if i were u dont waste money buying header or **** like that...save money and buy ur self a different car down the road (and make sure its manual this time )....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow... a n00b flamin on a n00b. This is fun to watch.

My two cents...

1 cent) Either do a manual conversion or get owned everywhere you drive it by every car around you

or

2 cent) Sell it and get a manual hatch and start kickin *** at a young age.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:37 AM
Blue Sedan Crew

Default Re: New To Boards / New Car (Mistamike17)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mistamike17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
1 cent) Either do a manual conversion or get owned everywhere you drive it by every car around you
</TD></TR></TABLE>

your an idiot
Old 07-15-2004, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Welcome to HT n' congrats on your new car ! If you are looking for just bolt ons, check out - http://www.nopi.com. White 17" Motegi rims on a green civic??? You'll draw too much attention with those big mamma jammas and they weigh about 24.5 lbs each, heavy metal dude...
Old 07-15-2004, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DelSolSiR)

Oh ya, don't put anything flashy on it, cause it'll get stolen. At least in dallas it will.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by darkcvc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

your an idiot </TD></TR></TABLE>

and YOU'RE not able to spell.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:53 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To the people that don't like the car he choose to buy I have one thing to say to you, to each their own. It's not your money so don't worry about it.

I forgot to mention earlier, you should really look into buying an alarm and/or other anti-theft devices if you don't already have something.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:53 AM

Default Re: (jolt-tsp)

I know you don't want people to tell you to swap engines or trannies. However, I wouldn't suggest spending your money on bolt ons. In my experience I/H/E won't really add HP. They will move HP around (from low rpms to higher rpms). You might gain 10 peak HP with the 3, but you WILL lose power somewhere in the RPM range.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:30 AM

First, welcome to H-T. I am obviously also new.
I also have an auto, and I would say that first things are first. Change all your fluids. Clean the throttle body and put in some fuel injector cleaner. Change the spark plugs to some nice double platinum ones. Once you get the normal stuff taken care of, then move to your mods.
I would go with a nice Injen IS1550, and then if you want the cold air get the Injen EIS1550. That way when it is the wet season there, you can still have a modded air intake and not have to worry about getting water in your engine.
If you are set on getting a header, do some searious research on the matter. And for exhaust, I would do the same, but I am partial to Magnaflow. They make bolt on kits for the header and for magna flow catbacks.
If you are also set on getting a new intake, go with a skunk2. I hear only good htings about them, and I plan on getting one some day.
And lastly, no matter where you live, invest in a really good alram system. That will make the difference of being able to keep your car or not. Theifs don't care if it is an auto or stick, they see that it looks nice and take it.
That is just what I would look into, but research everything from several resources before you make your final purchases.
elevtro
Old 07-15-2004, 07:34 AM

Alright, you bought an auto. Everyone on here will agree that it is not the most performance minded purchase, but it is what it is. I drive a 2000 Civic LX four door (that's right, LX as in D16Y7 as in no VTEC and it has AC ).

My first question would be why do you want to add mods. If you are trying to really build a performance car then everyone will say that you need to lose the auto, I would agree. But if you want to learn about cars and have fun turning wrenches then there is nothing wrong with the car that you have. You can start by getting a Helms manual and doing the basic servicing yourself. Change oil, coolant, transmission fluid, belts, filters, brakes, etc. If you want to add some performance upgrades then do what someone mentioned earlier and go with some inexpensive items because you probably are going to loose most of any gains in the transmission anyway. I would bet that soon enough you will be looking at an engine swap or an auto to man conversion as soon as you build some confidence.

To the flamers: Lay off. Let him learn. Offer advice. Get on with your own lives. We were all there.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:57 AM
Blue Sedan Crew

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mistamike17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

and YOU'RE not able to spell.</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh man and that grammar was just amazing.....

i know plenty of people with automatic turbo cars....are they all owned?

just what do you drive to be talkin so much smack?
Old 07-15-2004, 08:22 AM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by darkcvc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">intake-ebay
header-ebay
exhaust-ebay

your car is gonna suck anyways, so just go the cheap route </TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL, thats messed up.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New To Boards / New Car (Tokyo_X-treme_Racer)

Hello,

Thank you for your quick replies, and thank you for the people who did not flame me and who dont even know my reasons or me.

This car is not my dream car, and yes i mowed grass since i was 13 got a job at a restaurant when i was 14 and continued down the road saving almost every penny. If I had the money I probably would have bought a 98 supra.

The reason that I have an Auto is because my parents want me to have an auto as my first car and did not let me pick up a manual. Am i mad? A little, but im not big into the racing scene, its just the manual is alot more fun to drive.

Im only asking what kind of cheap bolt on's i could put on my new car. Well its not really my car because its under my dads name and he will not sell it because I'm gonna cry about that I want a manual.

Thank you for your help people who actually answered my questions instead of flame me as if they even knew where i was coming from. Real mature.

O BTW if i do decide to get a header what would u guys recommend?
Ceramic or Stainless Steel?
4-2-1 or 4-1?
And why?

TY

Modified by BrutalDawg at 9:55 AM 7/15/2004
Old 07-15-2004, 09:16 AM

Default Re: New To Boards / New Car (pburke23)

dc sports cat back exhaust, aem cold air intake, dc sports header,.......and dont put any gay stickers on it

Quick Reply: New To Boards / New Car